pack size | Squat the Planet

pack size

Ireen

Reaction score
About how much stuff would be able to fit in a pack that is approximately 40 liters with the measurements of 24 inches x 13.5 inches x 8 inches ?

WindWalker1970

Reaction score
Water bottle, can opener, spoon and clothes.
Yea, that should do it. :cool:

• Haha
Reactions: Noble Savage

Agni Riniari

<(-.-<) ^(-.-)^ (>-.-)> ^(-.-)^ <(-.-<)
Reaction score
A lot more than you'll probably want to have after a week or so on the road, sh!t gets cumbersome.

But, you will be able to pack everything you would need on the road in a pack that size, so, just consider a minimalist mindset for your gear and you will be set.

- Agni

railroadron

Reaction score
I carry a 80 liter Jansport Carson and and although roomy, I still wish I had a larger pack. The biggest and heaviest items I carry is my laptop which can only fit in one compartment and must be cushioned on all sides. A pack this size does in fact hinder my need to be stealth so keep that in mind. It all depends on how comfortable you want to be..how warm do you wanna stay?

mylon

Lawn Care Enthusiast
Reaction score
I currently have a 55 liter pack and imho have got my gear pretty refined.. I like to have enough space for all my stuff plus like 2 days worth of food and water. In the summer it's perfect, this time of year I find myself really cramming stuff in, wouldn't mind another 10 liters or so. This topic has been covered a lot just search around.

Ireen

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your replies. I tried searching through the forms and didn't find any thing( witch i thought was kinda strange) turns out i spelled liter wrong duuuhhh. I found a Lowe Alpine Contour IV 90 + 15L on craigslist for $45 that i'm gonna get witch will have way more space than I need and a lot better quality than the 40 liter pack I was thinking of getting.

mylon

Lawn Care Enthusiast
Reaction score
90 is going to be obscenely huge and you aren't addressing the size fit wise. Most good hiking packs will come in ~3 fit sizes per capacity size.. Getting the right size for your body will hugely affect comfort which determines how far you'll be willing to walk. HTFUing will only get you so far if your pack is trying to rip your shoulders off.

Ireen

Reaction score
hmm i might be wrong about the size the person said they didn't know the measurements of it but after looking online the only size info i found said 90+ 15 L so i'm assuming that's the size of the one on craigslist. I guess it's an older model so all the info on it I found from google is on forms and review sites. idk i'm just gonna have to try it out in person and see what I think if it works out it seams like it would be a great deal and if not oh well. I by no means plan to use all the space in it I have no plans to carry around a bunch of extra crap. The guy selling it said both him and his wife use it so im guessing it should work for me but then again his wife and me might not be in the same size range.

nivoldoog

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
About 40 liters worth of stuff inside, and as much as you can strap to the out side. 40 is a good number i am rolling with a 65 and the top part makes it harder to go under branches and other low objects. the smaller and lighter the gear the better, I always back WAY too much.

J

Johnny P

i personally don't like to strap stuff to the outside...looks sloppy imo when i see someone with way to much shit hanging off of their gear...i keep everything nice and compact inside....that's me though...I'm refined and disciplined....maybe it comes from my military upbringing

Ireen

Reaction score
Agreed I would like a pack big enough that I can fit every thing inside of it and not have any thing hanging off of it. I found a 60 litter pack that should work good for me.

D

Deleted member 20

I agree. Just yesterday i straped an old school olive drab buttback to my current issue acu 3day assault pack & strapped my ecws intermediate sleeping bag beneath it & stuufed my ecws goretex rain gear & bivy in the buttpack. I feel like some cutrate, thirdworld cub scout, instead of a USMC 0311. Fucking contractors sucked on this batch of gear too, with the straps almost ripping off & 1 main zipper fucked. I got extra gear in triplicate but im making do.

J

Johnny P

Agreed I would like a pack big enough that I can fit every thing inside of it and not have any thing hanging off of it. I found a 60 litter pack that should work good for me.

look up the Kelty Redwing...that's what Ive been rocking for a while now...55 liters and I got everything in it I need...nothing strapped to the outside...i'm pretty minimalist though

J

Johnny P

those 3 day assualt packs are great too...had one of those when I first hit the road...but the zipper busted after about a year...now i got the Redwing

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads