pack animals | Squat the Planet

pack animals

D

Deleted member 2626

Anyone travel or have pack critters? I.E. pack goats or burros or mules? I've been thinking a lot about a pack goat or small burro. I've spent a good bit of time just walking while on the road before, by choice. I get sick of hitching real quick after all the time I've spent doing it on the road or not. I've rode but don't do it a lot. Sometimes I have more fun just putting one foot in front of the other with my dog and being completely self sufficient and relying upon not a soul, nothing illegal, still cop hassle at times but wayyy less and you pick up way more details. A strong alpine goat can carry up to fifty pounds a burro way more or a mule which is obviously bigger but can pack over 200 pounds. Burro or goat is a lot more versatile and more easily hid. goats too I read can be trained to words and names and behave much like a good dog if raised well. Anyway, anyone? or input or if you know anyone who travels like that.

D

Deleted member 2626

I'm not a facebook person can people leave some knowledgeable replies and not just like it or something. . . whats the point of that anyhow? I'm not being a dick to anyone that thumbs up this but I dont need the social acceptance just want a discussion on the subject lol

sketchytravis

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Ahh well, understandable... if it helps you out I've flat out seen goats that were trained to do dog like commands... Like it would sit stay follow hoof lol... Bit yeah, it seemed to know words and such

It wasnt on the road though, it was just a persons goat from like a farm...

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Sounds like a good idea.
Can you do it legally though?
If you could travel with goats and mules and shit... I'd look into a covered wagon and hit the Oregon trial.

• Haha
Reactions: sketchytravis
D

Deleted member 2626

Naw with a wagon its like driving in a way as your stuck with that. Me goat and dog can still go anywhere and hitching is still possible somewhere

JaUsH

Reaction score
I had a pack goat for awhile ... we traveled quite a few places.. just make sure you have its shots...and make sure it can forage for a few hours a day (not just grass) and you shouldnt make it carry anything until its about 2-3 years old.... they make awesome companions! just make sure you are prepared to spend ALOT of time with it... if you only have one and they are used to being around you 24/7 they will cry if you leave them alone... a lot of people recommend getting 2

• Useful
Reactions: sketchytravis
K

Kim Chee

Many cities have ordinances about livestock in city limits and I can see Joe Dipshits calling the cops left and right because they think you've overloaded your animal.

This is no longer a free country, you can't just go and do what you want.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads