heroinjane

Reaction score
So I'm bored waiting on the sun to set and I feel this may be a good idea to put a little bit of history and relevant info about myself here incase anyone out there can offer something to help me. I'm a girl with 2 dogs who's sick of living according to what this shitty world says I'm supposed to. I have lost my dad and brother and cousin other than them I have no family. So that being said I had a pretty lousy childhood that was full of incest and trauma but am working to heal and one day hopefully be able to help the rest of the kids like me. So I don't have many good memories around here and I think it's time for a change. In fact I know with all my heart I've got to get away from here. I'm currently thinking of going to Canada mostly because it's fucking beautiful but not the only reason. So any traveling advice or cool places to live that anyone knows of any other random or useful things you'd like to share are welcome!

SuperFluous

Reaction score
So sorry for your pain, nobody deserves to go through that kind of pain but unfortunately pain is life if I knew a way around it I would share it, but the good news is it gets better. Time is the best healer hang in there. The Sun always rises in the East.
PS I Love You

Reactions: heroinjane

Joey Garbanzo

Muscle of the DiPinto Crime Family
Reaction score
Well there's a few Canadians on here, hope some of us can help. What sort of place are you looking for, in the city, out in the country? Do you want to see mountains or the ocean or looking to just blend in among the masses?

enxomachina

Reaction score
I saw your posts yesterday and stayed up pretty late thinking about it because in the next couple weeks I'm planning on leaving Tucson AZ to travel by foot far north, somewhere I can be using a winter sleeping bag during the summer.
-
I have a lot of experience traveling with just a backpack and almost always with 0-100$ in my pocket. I've never traveled with animals or really even with other people before, and I've never left the USA except one time recently a friend took to to Nogales for the day. We basically walked through a facility with no checks at all and then when we came back I showed them my state ID and told them the purpose of our visit, and then they let us back into the US.
-
I wonder what the animal policies are for traveling with them on different flight, train, bus companies. And there's also hitchhiking, you can make the cash you need during the day while sitting outside the hop-out gas station / truck stop holding a sign with your next city on it. It would be epic if there is some sort of ferry up the Mississippi. Maybe someone who is rubbertramping would take you cross country if you gas jug for them.
-
I think this form of backpacking is sometimes called leathertramping, although I've never straight up walked to a new city, that's somewhat possible too. I would beware that 90+% of the US snows during the winter, and somewhere like Manitoba will become so cold that you should expect to have to start booking it south maybe early September.
-
I'm curious, what experience do you have with this sort of lifestyle and what is unfamiliar / what are you hoping to learn most?
-
I would highly recommend Anchorage, Alaska and the surrounding towns for the views and good people. They also have summer work process fish where you live on site with a mess hall and shower rooms ect. If you're under 24 then Covenant House is the hookup in Anchorage. Speaking of which, while traveling through cities I'd recommend searching for a youth "drop-in" for people who are under 24 or just reasonably say that they are, these locations provide showers, food, clothes, notebooks, laundry, hygiene products,,, they're really great.

enxomachina

Reaction score
I saw your posts yesterday and stayed up pretty late thinking about it because in the next couple weeks I'm planning on leaving Tucson AZ to travel by foot far north, somewhere I can be using a winter sleeping bag during the summer.
-
I have a lot of experience traveling with just a backpack and almost always with 0-100$ in my pocket. I've never traveled with animals or really even with other people before, and I've never left the USA except one time recently a friend took to to Nogales for the day. We basically walked through a facility with no checks at all and then when we came back I showed them my state ID and told them the purpose of our visit, and then they let us back into the US.
-
I wonder what the animal policies are for traveling with them on different flight, train, bus companies. And there's also hitchhiking, you can make the cash you need during the day while sitting outside the hop-out gas station / truck stop holding a sign with your next city on it. It would be epic if there is some sort of ferry up the Mississippi. Maybe someone who is rubbertramping would take you cross country if you gas jug for them.
-
I think this form of backpacking is sometimes called leathertramping, although I've never straight up walked to a new city, that's somewhat possible too. I would beware that 90+% of the US snows during the winter, and somewhere like Manitoba will become so cold that you should expect to have to start booking it south maybe early September.
-
I'm curious, what experience do you have with this sort of lifestyle and what is unfamiliar / what are you hoping to learn most?
-
I would highly recommend Anchorage, Alaska and the surrounding towns for the views and good people. They also have summer work process fish where you live on site with a mess hall and shower rooms ect. If you're under 24 then Covenant House is the hookup in Anchorage. Speaking of which, while traveling through cities I'd recommend searching for a youth "drop-in" for people who are under 24 or just reasonably say that they are, these locations provide showers, food, clothes, notebooks, laundry, hygiene products,,, they're really great.

I realize now that this is in your introductions post and maybe replying to a different post of yours would have been better.. mb, hmm,, maybe I can move it

sevedemanos

Reaction score
gotta get out and explore there then. nobody can tell you whats best youve got to find it for yourself

there are many towns ive grown fond of over the years. others have lost their luster. crime rates are way up these days so defo invest in self defense, both mentally and financially

best of luck

heroinjane

Reaction score
Well there's a few Canadians on here, hope some of us can help. What sort of place are you looking for, in the city, out in the country? Do you want to see mountains or the ocean or looking to just blend in among the masses?

I'm not too sure but I know that I like country living more than the city I'm mostly trying to find a place to kinda be alone and self sufficient and find something to help me figure things out i don't wanna interact with too many people preferably and stay on the go rather than stay in one place for a long time

heroinjane

Reaction score
I realize now that this is in your introductions post and maybe replying to a different post of yours would have been better.. mb, hmm,, maybe I can move it

I have lived on a 44sq mile property with no electric poles or water from the city and we only grew our own foods or raised and slaughtered them I imagine it will be different when it comes to traveling in terms of food and what not but I don't imagine myself not being intelligent enough to not starve to death lol I don't have much experience in terms of going different places I have been mostly stuck in one place due to my father being sick and then my son was alot of why I stayed here. But now I don't have anything but pain here and need to get away from here. There's nothing for me here I can feel it. There's something simpler something better more worth being proud of something I can say is not just a waste of time. Something I can take my time and gather myself and thoughts and get ready to process all the crap that's been going on cuz I've been putting it off even acknowledging most of it because I couldn't handle it right this minute

• Best of Luck!
Reactions: MxEx

enxomachina

Reaction score
Leathertramping is a totally different lifestyle than how most everyone lives, but with experience it can be very comfortable and calming. There are dozens of aspects to being comfortable that are achieved differently while homeless and traveling. Managing being hungry, dehydrated, too hot, too cold, hygienic, to being entertained, having a hobby, social anxiety, fear, isolation, vices, safety, ect

There are tips and tricks to all of them, after some years it becomes so basic that I worry my tips will be, obvious or niche, but I remember when I first was sleeping under a bridge while in highschool and feeling like I didn't know anything about how to live like that.

I plan on posting my current gear in a list soon. But the sections of the gear are like this: The pack itself, a sleeping bag, clothes, hygiene items, smartphone, entertainment, and income.

I could go on and on but I don't know what's most pressing to mention. It's like a tree of life of topics. For example, if you want to sleep in the countryside, maybe you'll also need a bivouac tent. A waterkey is nice to have, ect ect

I'm sorry, it's hard for me to figure out what you're hoping to learn about, but I really want to help. It would help me a lot if you gave me rather narrow subjects. I found out last year that I have autism O_O really explains a lot tbh lol. Later I'll write you about what I do / what I look for days 1 & 2 in a new town.

Lmk if this is all off track, I don't understand your overall vision / dream yet either, for example if you want to live in such a way that you boil water and fish for food, that's totally different than what I'm familiar with and to me, so are lots and lots of other ways of living.

heroinjane

Reaction score
Leathertramping is a totally different lifestyle than how most everyone lives, but with experience it can be very comfortable and calming. There are dozens of aspects to being comfortable that are achieved differently while homeless and traveling. Managing being hungry, dehydrated, too hot, too cold, hygienic, to being entertained, having a hobby, social anxiety, fear, isolation, vices, safety, ect

There are tips and tricks to all of them, after some years it becomes so basic that I worry my tips will be, obvious or niche, but I remember when I first was sleeping under a bridge while in highschool and feeling like I didn't know anything about how to live like that.

I plan on posting my current gear in a list soon. But the sections of the gear are like this: The pack itself, a sleeping bag, clothes, hygiene items, smartphone, entertainment, and income.

I could go on and on but I don't know what's most pressing to mention. It's like a tree of life of topics. For example, if you want to sleep in the countryside, maybe you'll also need a bivouac tent. A waterkey is nice to have, ect ect

I'm sorry, it's hard for me to figure out what you're hoping to learn about, but I really want to help. It would help me a lot if you gave me rather narrow subjects. I found out last year that I have autism O_O really explains a lot tbh lol. Later I'll write you about what I do / what I look for days 1 & 2 in a new town.

Lmk if this is all off track, I don't understand your overall vision / dream yet either, for example if you want to live in such a way that you boil water and fish for food, that's totally different than what I'm familiar with and to me, so are lots and lots of other ways of living.

Your definitely on the right track my homeless experience is rather limited so I'm sure there isn't much that you wouldn't be helping me with. I don't really know what I need or what I should know ahead of time. I'm not even sure as too what I'm looking for but I feel with certainty it's not where I'm at and really all I wanna do is be far away from here and this fucked up place and useless government.

JustAWanderer

Listener of Ancestors,Friend of Earth,Truth Seeker
Reaction score
Your definitely on the right track my homeless experience is rather limited so I'm sure there isn't much that you wouldn't be helping me with. I don't really know what I need or what I should know ahead of time. I'm not even sure as too what I'm looking for but I feel with certainty it's not where I'm at and really all I wanna do is be far away from here and this fucked up place and useless government.

Once you just start living that lifestyle you are bound to crosspaths with other like minded people that have skills they can share with you.
I have been "homeless" on and off for 6 years now mostly staying on public land and just recently decided to get rid of my car just doing that really changed the experience for me. I have meet quite a few people who have decided to not conform to the masses and find their own freedom for many different reasons. I always find it helpful to listen to their stories, much to learn from them.

Reactions: NamelessExistence

heroinjane

Reaction score
Once you just start living that lifestyle you are bound to crosspaths with other like minded people that have skills they can share with you.
I have been "homeless" on and off for 6 years now mostly staying on public land and just recently decided to get rid of my car just doing that really changed the experience for me. I have meet quite a few people who have decided to not conform to the masses and find their own freedom for many different reasons. I always find it helpful to listen to their stories, much to learn from them.

Yeah just don't want to go out there with no realistic expectations of what it's gonna involve for the most part. Would rather learn from others than from trial and error especially when it can mean life or death in some situations lol. But I feel pretty safe because I do have a PPD and she is amazing and would never let anyone hurt me if she's with me.

Reactions: JustAWanderer

t500k

Reaction score
Canada is great!! if your into seasonal work, I plant trees from April to September and sometimes fight fires after if I need more cash. This is my 5'th season, each year you make more B.C it's piece rate and you just generally get faster at planting. Made 17k after tax in 53 days of planting last season.

Most of the camps are bush camps with mess tents and food is provided and cooked. Ton's of planters have dogs, since you have 2 idk how trained they are but bush dogs are super chill and love life running around the block, and being in nature for months on end.

It can open a lot of doors since its fast money, and the community and lifestyle is great! If you need more info check out King Kong Reforestation on FB. or feel free to send a DM.

Stay Safe!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads