One of the most disturbing things I have ever seen | Squat the Planet

One of the most disturbing things I have ever seen

Etown961

Reaction score

Hudson

Reaction score
It is kinda terrifying, I knew the police were bad, but god this bad? Talking about how they are opening an "investigation".

I don't understand what needs to be investigated.... Its a goddam juvenile with no limbs being beaten and shit on by the law....

Hudson

Reaction score
What is there to investigate though?

On a side note I'm sure as hell steering clear of Prescott Arizona. There's no excuse for that.

What is truly disturbing is the only news outlet reporting on it is the Washington post.

Dameon

Reaction score
Absolutely horrific. I don't know how we got here as a country but something has to change.
I think it's hard to nail down, and hard to fix, because we've got a lot of stuff all kind of combining into the perfect police storm. Like how police unions protect most police from any real consequences of their actions, and how an increasing amount of police are military veterans (no offense) , and how police are increasingly using military hardware, and how police are so glorified in american culture that in many peoples' eyes they can do no wrong, and the rise of gun obsession, and lack of mandated oversight (Quis custodiet ipsos custodes,), and lack of education on the judicial system.

It's a sort of tangled knot of racism and corruption and bro culture that it's kind of hard to pick out any one issue and say "that's the cause". Worse, since most of their victims are minorities and people in poverty, it's hard to convince the majority of people that there is a problem because your average white middle class person will probably never have a police encounter worse than a traffic ticket.

I think that the only way to fix it is to take an extreme about-face, disarm police, mandate active oversight, mandate data collection, mandate mental health checkups for officers, and invest in training them in non-violent resolution. Some of this sounds extreme, I know, but we have an extreme problem. It doesn't really matter, though, because none of it will happen anytime soon.

Etown961

Reaction score
I think that the only way to fix it is to take an extreme about-face, disarm police

If we do take the route of disarming police, who's going to protect non-gun owners. Some maniac with a gun could take down countless police officers, non-violent resolution is really fucking hard when you're dealing with a deranged school shooter, or some insane homebum high on copious amounts of meth with some illegally bought rifle.

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Just saw this on local az news. Holy shit.

Not going to change anything here in this state. AZ is one if the most corrupt states in the US.

I'm going to throw out there that cops continue to teach in academies that all citizens are potential threats, and they are to be treated as such. This is essentially turning kids (who are normally the majority of police cadets) into right arms of the police state this country has being pushing since forever.

It's sad that many parents raise their children to respect police officers because they are the 'most trusted citizens among us', then they see this, ignore it, and continue to teach their kids the same shit.

Same shit. Different day. Especially in AZ. Travellers take notice. This is every day shit in AZ.

Dameon

Reaction score
If we do take the route of disarming police, who's going to protect non-gun owners. Some maniac with a gun could take down countless police officers, non-violent resolution is really fucking hard when you're dealing with a deranged school shooter, or some insane homebum high on copious amounts of meth with some illegally bought rifle.
They don't need to carry weapons to have access to weapons. In many countries the police carry no firearms on their person, and they aren't just indiscriminately slaughtered by methed-out homebums with illegal weaponry

Coywolf

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Also, about the disarming police, ya, not quite down with that idea *COMPLETELY*

I've definitely been on the end of receiving aid from armed police. And fucking glad I did.

However. The Police should NEVER be able to obtain more powerful arms than the general populous. This is why I am against gun control that aims to restrict the general public from owning arms that are available to the police.

The military? Ya. I dont give a shit if we cant own .50 cals. You are not going to fight off the entire US millitary in a 'takeover event' with your fucking .50 cal mounted on your pickup. Look at Iraq.

Last edited:

Etown961

Reaction score
They don't need to carry weapons to have access to weapons. In many countries the police carry no firearms on their person, and they aren't just indiscriminately slaughtered by methed-out homebums with illegal weaponry

Sure, say they still have access to weaponry back at base, a lone officer gets called into a simple domestic dispute, armed with no gun. The cop gets there, the situation escalates by some means, and somebody gets violent. The cop didn't have a gun, the attacker grabs something as simple as a pipe, and bashes the cops skull open and then goes for other innocents. That situation could be prevented if the cop had effective weaponry on himself and was trained properly on how and when to use it. Other units arrive way after the perp has already done damage.

• Agree
Reactions: Coywolf

Dameon

Reaction score
That situation could be prevented if the cop had effective weaponry on himself and was trained properly on how and when to use it. Other units arrive way after the perp has already done damage.
And then you're risking the lives of civilians to protect the cop who volunteered to place themselves in the line of duty to protect civilians. If they have weapons, the situation is inherently more likely to escalate. Weapons make people feel threatened, and when people feel threatened, we know that fight or flight kicks in. The cop is feeling threatened and has something to fight with, the person they're dealing with is feeling threatened because that weapon is an implicit threat that says "if you don't do what I say I can hurt you". Just by giving them weapons to carry around you're saying "we're going to sacrifice a certain amount of innocent lives to protect the lives of these officers." Training helps, but it'll only lower the cost, not eliminate it. It's either officers falling in the line of duty, or civilians, and just by arming police it's even possible that we're increasing the numbers of both (I don't claim to have any research to back up that assumption).

Etown961

Reaction score
And then you're risking the lives of civilians to protect the cop who volunteered to place themselves in the line of duty to protect civilians.

So by giving the cop an effective, concealed weapon civilian lives are at risk? In most cases civilian lives are at risk if the cop Doesn't have an effective means of protection, the cop can't protect who he is called into protect properly, losing the lives of many more than just one cop.

Weapons make people feel threatened, and when people feel threatened, we know that fight or flight kicks in.

Small arm's can be concealed easily, i'm not saying that cops should have an AR strapped to their back. Cops don't truly know what they're getting themselves into before getting there, it could be a some tame upper-class dispute, or some insane guy who just snorted a shit ton of angel dust about to kill his defenseless wife, the wife might have called the cops before the situation escalated to an extreme. My point being that guns should be carried at all times by police officers, you never know what a situation might turn into.

Just by giving them weapons to carry around you're saying "we're going to sacrifice a certain amount of innocent lives to protect the lives of these officers."

I'm not saying that in any way at all. Cops need guns at hands reach to protect civilians, no lives are being sacrificed.

• Agree

Jimmy Beans

Bad Order Hoghead
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I think they need guns but they really need to be educated on when to use them and when not to. I don't like cops just like anyone else but I can't deny that's a tough fucking job for any human being. The level of split decision judgment they have to deal with, I think it takes a truly special person to get that right. I don't think anyone is fully equipped with the level of discernment it really requires. I think the best thing we can do is make it mandatory for every cop to wear a body cam. That won't stop it all but it'll drastically reduce the amount of dirty shit they've been getting away with forever.

• Agree

Hudson

Reaction score
My biggest argument is they need escalation of force training like bad.

You don't beat on juveniles and people who are restrained. When we went overseas we had a minimum of 80 hours of escalation of force training. What that means is if somebody is throwing rocks at you, you don't point your weapon at them. You don't shoot until you are shot at; you don't shoot people for having cell phones.

Ultimately they just need to be held accountable. It's unacceptable to beat or kill an unarmed individual in handcuffs.

I understand some of them are ex-military. That's not an excuse. They need to police themselves harder. This happened in September.

what does that say about the system? The people working at the care home said nothing? The other police involved said nothing? The people who booked a juvenile with no arms and legs said nothing? It took two months for this to come to light. That is incomprehensible to me.

• Agree

Coywolf

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I understand some of them are ex-military. That's not an excuse.

Most of the fascists that show behavior like this have never been in the millitary, and it shows.

The best cops ive ever known were usually vets, because they have the training, and the ability to keep a cool head.

Last edited:
  • Love It
  • Agree
Reactions: Hudson and Etown961

Hudson

Reaction score

Coywolf

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
@Hudson ya, that definitely cant be a blanket statement, but I find it more true than not.

Strangeandsolo

Reaction score
Just another sick day in arizona, pima county sheriffs are no joke, I see them as apex predators, i dont fuck with them at all period . I hide from them when i can but i dont run i dont do anything to provoke them, these guys run several jails and prisons: dead inmates, ain't but a ting... It sad n Shameful if anyone can help us please do... or be hella careful here.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads