On the Hobo in Asia

Reaction score
Hello my fellow proud hobos! I am Tom Bluenose here in Jiangsu Province, PRC. I began my erudite journeys in 1997 after a bold "barstool prophet" moment and a "mirror moment" (those of you know what I am talking about). Since then I have lived in South Korea, Japan, PRC, Kingdom of Bahrain, Germany, America, and a few in between I have written down somewhere. I am currently in Asia until the end of June where I will relocate to Canada for a brief respit. As a senior erudite hobo I am seeking good conversation, good stories (thats all ya got in the old folks home!) and some street drinking buddies of either gender, to stop by my underpass to share a can of beans. I'm Tom Bluenose....sit down a spell and tell me a story.

wizehop

Chasing the Darkness
Reaction score
Sweet man, and welcome to the site!

How are you getting around, are you working while you travel? Fill us in a little on the details. I'm especially interested in your time in China.

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Wow - that is a commendable travel record! Welcome aboard!! I've never looked at the Kingdom of Bahrain - looks lovely!

WanderLost Radical

Reaction score
Welcome aboard!!

I've been asking myself a question lately, and maybe you could answer it from you experience in Asia! i know many countries have strict anti-punk/anarchist policies. Can I get in trouble with my clothings out there, even if I'm just a tourist? I'm planning to leave for Asia this summer.

Reaction score
Sweet man, and welcome to the site!

How are you getting around, are you working while you travel? Fill us in a little on the details. I'm especially interested in your time in China.
Sure....have lived in 6 cities so far Wuxi,Shanghai, Beijing,Nanchang, Naning, and currently in Zhangjiagang (about 1 hour by bus from Shanghai) Sure am working, that's why I added erudite hobo, or I may go as far to say Professional Hobo Hey I just coined a phrase there!!!! I'm a Probo!!!! Now don't get me wrong...I slept in my share of ditches and underpasses for sure....but as I did that I figured I would need a marketable skill....A Probo I may be but am a hobo at heart....Being a Canuck I'm sure you remember "The littlest hobo" from TV as a kid....it all started for me there...also add "the beachcombers" (Relic) and I have had this in my blood ever since....

Reactions: wizehop
Reaction score
Welcome aboard!!

I've been asking myself a question lately, and maybe you could answer it from you experience in Asia! i know many countries have strict anti-punk/anarchist policies. Can I get in trouble with my clothings out there, even if I'm just a tourist? I'm planning to leave for Asia this summer.
Yeah....leave Singapore off your list man....But in Japan-Korea you are fine. Where I lived in the middle of Beijing you have some cool acceptance and out near the universities Wudaoko is a good spot...Just remember the prime directive In China-Asia you are a guest. So you must tone it down on lets say a bus on a Saturday afternoon when old people and kids may be around. But Saturday night is another story. In China people are very nice and accepting and will want to take a picture with you.....just for being you and being a cool foreigner...Like I said...be nice and wave at the kids and old people and you will be fine. I hope this helped.

Reaction score
Wow - that is a commendable travel record! Welcome aboard!! I've never looked at the Kingdom of Bahrain - looks lovely!
It was lovely when I was there at the turn of the century but it lost a lot of it's liberal ideals in the last decade...there have been a lot of protests there as so much inequality. I was lucky to have my time there.My twin brother lived there for 5 years (we lived at Budaya Beach-last turnoff before causeway to Saudi Arabia/outside Manama) and at that time Dubai used to rock....that mostly got shut down when the "Cyclone" bar closed....sort of like what must have been when they closed Club 54 in New York....the fringe lost a lot to the squares....same thing in Bahrain. My twin has a story when he met the last emir that takes an hour to tell...was awesome. Still would be a good place to see the desert (although half of country not accessible)

WanderLost Radical

Reaction score
Yeah....leave Singapore off your list man....But in Japan-Korea you are fine. Where I lived in the middle of Beijing you have some cool acceptance and out near the universities Wudaoko is a good spot...Just remember the prime directive In China-Asia you are a guest. So you must tone it down on lets say a bus on a Saturday afternoon when old people and kids may be around. But Saturday night is another story. In China people are very nice and accepting and will want to take a picture with you.....just for being you and being a cool foreigner...Like I said...be nice and wave at the kids and old people and you will be fine. I hope this helped.

It did!! Thanks a lot! My main concern was about china, because I know they've been monitoring the music that has been getting in the country, so I thought they might do the same with people

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads