On Selling Out (1 Viewer)

Older Than Dirt

Wanderer
Current Location
Upstate
Punk is about active resistance, isn't it? Then why are so many of us content with passive hatred?
Yes, this says a lot i was trying so say, but much more briefly.

Except i would just add (repeating the exact same shit i said before, as old people tend to do), so many are doing this "crustpunk 'i am a filthydirty trainkid!' Outside of society is where i wanna be!" [a 1970s Patti Smith quote, BTW] thang in what often looks to an old guy like a very narrow range of ways.

There is a lot of fashion and conformity within dirty kid culture that is not so "punk" in my opinion, and this thread nails that thing, as the OP feels tension between what they want to do, and conforming to this culture of being a "punk" in this certain narrowly defined way.

Anti-fashion fashion, sure, but that doesn't mean conforming to it makes anyone cool, anymore than having the right golf or tennis clothes at the country club does.

At least they aren't pretending to be cool rebels by conforming at the country club.

[EDIT ADDED: Just to be clear, i love the shit out of you kids, and you got a lot of good things going. If Jesus gave me a blowjob, i would complain about his teeth, that's just the way i am.]

Last edited:
We sell all kinds of other stuff in our Etsy store!

Older Than Dirt

Wanderer
Current Location
Upstate
Ian Mackaye was 18-9 when he wrote this song about not fitting in with his white stoner peers in the DC high schools, of course it is kind of what invented straight-edge which i am not and have never been or wanted to be, and that 's not why i'm posting it- it's about being who you are, and fuck them. Whoever "they" are.

But is still is a pretty classic statement of being WHO THE FUCK YOU ARE, not who your peers (in this case), or ANYONE ELSE wants you to be.

Us non-XXX kids on the LES in NYC in the early days of NYHC (talking '80-86) used to use terms like "bent edge", "crooked edge", "curved edge", "jagged edge" but we dug this song too.

There is "Youth Rebellion", and then there's the lifetime kind, which requires changing when you are not a youth anymore, but it turns out the revolution is not victorious quite yet, and you are not the kind who checks out 'til victory...

Or you can do that "Live Fast, Die Young, Leave a Poopy-Pants Corpse" if you think that's cool.

Here is another Minor Threat song about getting old as a punk.

Gulysses3

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Current Location
Wisconsin
Website
www.jumpingoffthecliff.com
I’ve been wanting another tattoo to remind myself to “just live” and not make something as simple as living more complex than it needs to be. Do what your soul compels you to do. As long as you treat others and the environment with respect, you can’t go too far wrong. Selling out would be doing something you know hurts others, just to make a buck. Having a home, maybe a family, isn’t selling out, after all, how many of us would exist without parents that gave us food and shelter?

Ponyboy

Lurker
Current Location
Asheville NC
Brother. All of of us around these parts are intricately aware of the things of which you speak. As for myself I accept that.. At 40 years old. The mathematical impossibility of 'The System' continuing to serve the people's wants and needs, Let alone in my life, But my children's or Grandchildrens life forces me to live off the grid. To prepare a better way. The obvious way😎

Breck

Lurker
Current Location
Stuck in the rustbelt
Do what you feel is right. Fuck everyone else... 45 and going back to traveling cuz every place sux so I might as well see the sights before I die...never let em grind you down..friends included

r3yn

Lurker
Current Location
Calgary / Sudbury / Ottawa
OP (Satanic Botanic), this is a very poignant topic. Relevant to my mental interests. I've been debating it through the lens of my life choices these past years.

I think that punk meta-ethos of "not conforming, even to punk non-conformity" is paradoxical but the right way of being.

As long as you treat others and the environment with respect, you can’t go too far wrong. Selling out would be doing something you know hurts others, just to make a buck.
Yeah, that's it, isn't it? As in, that's the basic tenet for being -- the essential idea. Similar to the golden rule. Maybe throw in the Kantian imperative, as an absolute measure: "do that which you would want everyone to do"

And take action. Like mentioned in this thread, don't give in to apathy and inaction. It might be cliche at this point, but I really do believe it wholeheartedly, and tell the people who will listen what Gandhi said: "BE the change you want to see in the world".

WyldLyfe

Current Location
Australia
Could type more but all im gonna say is look at nature, look at creation, what is the intention within creation you see? because there is an intention within creation.

There is an intent within creation and it is aligned to the greater good. It is not neutral. It is aligned to a higher intent and that intent is wanting for consciousness to evolve to higher levels, that is how it comes to know itself, therefore creation wants freedom, possibility, knowledge, higher states of complexity, evolutionary progress and growth is what creation desires.

Growth, change, evolution, so if you give yourself some label like "crustie" "punk" ect.. and think this is me and thats it, and hold onto it, how can you grow an transform like a caterpillar into a butterfly? The old must go for the new life to come, death an rebirth, the phoenix bird.

Last edited:

Groundscore

Lurker
Current Location
Southern Arizona
Go and do what makes YOU happy. I don't view it as "selling out" if you're listening to your heart/soul/gut.

Maybe see if you can strike a balance between a home life with work and travel.

If you decide to make any major change in your lifestyle maybe try wading in first to see if it's for you, as the last thing you want is to get stuck in a life full of regrets and "what if's."

Fuzzypeach

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Current Location
Tacoma, WA
Oh the struggle is real! I would alternate between dropping out and selling out. I always felt like a whore going to work for "Da man". But then again there were times I did like it. Unfortunately, the choices are stark: Either be in Babylon, working for "Da man" or be a disinfranchised wandering bum. Of course society is set up like that to keep you paying tribute to the Lord's of Babylon.

To have another choice is what people have been striving for with communes ( now "intentional communities"). However, getting one going is difficult largely because people cannot agree on what it's supposed to look like. It seems the religious ones are the only ones that are successful in large numbers. I think that's because we are all so fragmented. The internet is helping to bring like minded people together, but then we are all so scattered as well.

I have been searching for a better way most of my life. I am fortunately retired which makes things easier for me personally, but I would love to see a system that didn't force you to wait until you are too old and or sick to be sovereign. I guess the best solution for now is to go in and out of the lifestyle as your needs change.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
nocomplykidd Making a Living 6
D Making a Living 6
OmFish Making a Living 3
S Making a Living 4
lone wolf Making a Living 6

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$45.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $45.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $45.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $45.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $45.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

Macon for a super hot minute. Who what when where?
Finished an initial draft of a floorplan for my new van:
A lot has happened since returning to California. Just two days after returning from the road, I grew the courage to leave my abusive SO and stop hiding her abuse. I returned to my hometown in the Bay Area; I’m now going to stay housed up here until next summer as I recover from trauma and save up for my next adventure. I’ve just gotten a job offer, and will be renting a room of my own here!
I learned a lot about myself and the world on the road, but I know vagabonding is the life for me!
I never did complete an update here, did I?
Well, I rubbertramped all across the country, back from Boston with a fellow moderator from R&V. We drove from there to Las Vegas over the course of a month! I saw 4 national parks, 30 states, and crossed over 6000+ miles. I came back to Los Angeles on June 15th, having achieved my goal of hitchhiking the entire country, and was on the road for over two months.
3 weeks of CDL training starting Monday. Im so excited. Living in semi is an upgrade from living in the van, especially since your getting paid for it! Hells yea!!!
A list of all the magic stores in the U.S. would be a sick feature on stp. Imagine you get off the train desperately in need of smokes and a slam, but you got ran off every corner... Dont worry stp knows exactly where you can get pall malls and some steelies with those foodies you picked up in the last town.
Engineer J Lupo wrote on Matt Derrick's profile.
Happy Birthday, dad!
I really need to find someone catching out around at joseph... I don't know if I can do this for the first time in my own...
you are not immune to propaganda
EastCoastTurtle wrote on sydaavicious's profile.
You sould come chill in Bend. Could show you around. + its super chill out here.