Olympia

mkirby

Reaction score
Website
meredithkirby.com
I've never been there...is it true what they say about it being squat heaven? I've heard all kinds of shit about Evergreen being like a chill place for travelers to get an education, too. And stuff about tree squats near the campus. Anybody ever been and had a good time?

Reaction score
Website
dandeneko.livejournal.com
The tree squats are awesome, but unless you're willing to deal with hipsters and kids from upper-middleclass families with loan anarchist solider syndrome the squats suck. Also it was almost impossible to find the squats in the first place until I tripped upon a couple of crusty ass punks who where nice enough to point me the right way because everyone else was stand offish (I understand security culture and all, but goddamn). Also everyone in Olympia is really skittish about conversations with random strangers unless their high or trying to look cool and liberal. The OPD has also been busting squats left and right, and their getting almost as bad as the Denver PD and LA PD.

Also TESC now sucks. They changed administration, tore down the murals, have just passed a bill to give the Evergreen police department high powered rifles, have started to violate the forest preservation thing they've got going on, they've made the SDS a useless group that can't rub two sticks together, and they've also made it harder for students to get independent contracts unless mummy or daddy know the faculty member.

If I were you I would hit up Tacoma or somewhere else, since I've heard Tac is actually getting a few reliable squats. There are a few good things about Olympia though, the community houses are pretty good for couch surfing, though the Peach pit just made a rule against couch surfing. The Green house is hellsa fun and they allow you to work around the place to stay there I think (I haven't been there, but I had a friend that was staying there and loved it, and all the people I met from there were pretty cool). Also the petting zoo is pretty cool community house. I would also suggest checking out Media Island while you're there - either take the #60 to get to the library and walk up Adams, or walk up Adams from fourth. The people at Media island are super friendly and will help you out however they can, it's also where food not bombs takes place on Saturday and you can catch the Icarus project right afterwards at 7 (I would suggest this simple because there's a girl who regularly attends and she has a squat with friends, her name has a T in their somewhere, I'm sure of it).

Tomorrow I'm going to chart all the ways to the four tree squats and I'll post it up here for you. Their pretty cool and I'm staying in one now during the days when I sleep (I spend the nights with my friends partying in their dorm rooms, thus why I'm here only at night lol), and they're pretty fucking awesome, though a bit drafty. You get a good view of the bay though. If you have any other questions go ahead and ask I'll try to answer as best I can. :)

Reactions: madcapcat

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads