[oh der schweiz] - Greetings from Switzerland

R

Roosterruler

Hoi und liebi grüsse from Switzerland.

I first found myself discontent with the conforming life plan society had laid out for me when I was 16 in high school. I was a sophomore, doing full IB classes (honours) and realized that all of this was work to get to a good college, and after that, some office job.

I didn't need to learn any more by the books, it was life experience I was after. So, I signed up for an exchange year in Europe. I got accepted and lived my first year abroad without seeing any family or friends.

I got back from my mini-adventure at the age of 17. I finished up high school and chose not to go to college (although I am doing a course online through the community college, brain stimulation is comfortable). I found a family in Europe, Switzerland to be precise, that would pay for my plane ticket, room, board, and a salary if I just take care of their kid after school.

And that is where I am now, Switzerland.

I'll be headed back to the USA soon and am ready to collect a new experience. Not sure what, but this forum seems to be a superior resource.

The idea of going to a 4-year college, or getting stuck to a job, it just doesn't appeal to me. I don't mind working, no problem with service, but to have my freedom to travel taken away just for money... no thanks. Later on, maybe I'll get a degree to keep doors from closing but for now...

What I am not? Some punk-new-agey-alternative-wanna-have-an-adventure-without-being-prepared kid.

I did a project on hobos when I was in 8th grade. I started emailing with some older ones, who, sadly, had to retire from the rails. Anyways, that got me intrested. I can picture myself having that traveling lifestyle later on.

In Switzerland, they have this verb that is more actively used than in the USA. Wandering. It's what I like to do. My weekends are filled with heading out without a map or a plan and seeing where I end up. Sometimes with friends. If we find an old fire, maybe we'll hang out there. Destination is the least of my worries.

I'm not sure if this is looked down upon by the vagabonds that gather here, or what the attitude is. What the norm. Is there one? Can't see how there could be.

Legallity - I never want to be illegal. I don't see a need to. I want to do some research first and learn my rights. Getting screwed over by the government at such a young age can close doors later on. That's what I don't want, closed doors and opportunities.

Gear - I want to be well prepared, so this could take a year or so to save up and earn up enough to get some sturdy gear. I don't care if old second hand looks "vagabond-ish" (I admit, my day-to-day backpack is a 25 year old, forest green REI backpack), I'll spend good money to get some good gear. I don't want my sack holding me back.

I think I'll start off with some woofing, couch surfing, maybe by the end of it I'll move on to something less dependent on others. I want to get a feel for how a young looking girl (on average, people guess my age as 15) can get off on her own.

But for now, I'm still just a 19 year old Mägi sitting up in a mountain in Switzerland.

R

Roosterruler

Oi.
Reading this four years later....

That was my only post for four years and only now, recently, have I become active on STP.

I almost re-introducing myself.

Hey - I'm Mägi. I'm still sort of like 19 year old Mägi 'cept I've done stuff and learned stuff. Times does that to you...

I did manage to travel as I desired and have called a few places home.

Last year I lived and worked hard in Alaska, saving every penny possible ('cept when I wanted to buy glow in the dark stickers and stickers that say, "For Rectal Use Only" and "Rump Roast" and "Creme Filled" to put on various objects I come 'cross). I ended up in Alaska on a whim with two river guides I met on the dance floor.

With that money, I traveled down the Inside Passage by ferry, crossed the country by train from WA to DC/NY/MA/ON/ME/NH.

I then flew with a one way ticket to Moscow and no plans at all for the country of Russia. I ended up in the arctic circle and from there, kept travelling on. I stopped in Ukraine for three months (cuddling abandoned babies). Overall, 16 countries were visited including Norway, Switzerland, Serbia, Romania, Slovakia, Scotland, and Iceland. A good handful of my travels were funded by busking on a fiddle a former-mafia member lent me. I travel by connections and couchsurfing.

Then my friend in Alaska had a babe. So I came back.
That's where I am now.
Alaska.

I'm living in the back store-room of a shop and am pretty content here cooking most of my meals in a rice cooker (so many possibilities!). I work with folks living with developmental disabilities. I like my job. I like working.

Right now I'm flipping through a few ideas right now. Some involve Tobbit, my truck, and others keep in in Alaska or send me to North Carolina or my favourite island in British Columbia.

So far, all of my travels have been solo. I might be looking to find a companion at some point.
If I can find myself on a boat in the next 12 months....

I'm a pretty-chill, quirky gal who tends to find herself fond of everyone she meets. If I don't think you're swell, there must be something pretty wrong with you. I like just about everyone and want to see that good and find that love in each person I encounter. It's fine if you don't like me. I'll just do my best to not negatively affect you.

IMG_8098.jpg

IMG_4438.jpg

IMG_2764.jpg

Last edited:

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads