Offline maps in a samsung galaxy tab? (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter Deleted member 25142
  • Start date
  • Watchers 4
D

Deleted member 25142

I deleted myself
Hello, I just bought a samsung tablet. It has a built in GPS that works offline. Now I wonder if I can download maps to use offline for biketouring and what programs or apps are good for this?
Thanks /Noa

We sell all kinds of other stuff in our Etsy store!

Koala

sleeps 22 hours a day, eats chutes and leaves
Website
ciggybuttbrain.wordpress.com
I recommend downloading the app maps.me! You download maps for offline and they are 'open maps' meaning that other travelers can add points of interest/nature things/camp spots to the map that you might otherwise not know about. And it's free!

Bikemap is a great app for bicycling routes and maps but in order to save maps offline, you have to buy a monthly or yearly subscription.

OP
D

Deleted member 25142

I deleted myself
Thanks a lot, I will check it out.
/Noa

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
i don't have a specific suggestion, but look into 'hiking' related gps apps, most will let you download maps for offline use and are geared towards being as accurate as possible.

Hawknerd

Pedal To The Metal
Well, Google maps has an offline maps option as well. Works great for most bike touring, let's you know when you need to update and is just plain easy. Gaia GPS is another app that can work well too. It will collect all sorts of data for you and there are tons of map overlays to help plan your adventure. The free Gaia GPS app is ok, but the premium is really where you get all the options. Then there is Strava, Ride with Me, Map Me, and a plethora of other apps.

Keep in mind battery life of tablet. In offline mode/airplane mode, with GPS on, it will still consume a bit of juice. For me, even with a Dyno hub, running GPS, and some pictures through a day plus listening to music my battery on my S7 will last almost one full day. A tablet has a bigger screen to power so battery probably won't last as long. I've tried it. If you are just pounding pavement that's fine. You should be able to find all sorts of places to charge up. Rural/isolated areas are different. Solar panels are great when you are stationary, but when moving are lacking alot of performance. Power Banks are great but add alot of weight.

Just a few things to keep in mind.
Enjoy the ride

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
superphoenix Photos Map thread: what routes have you done? Bike Touring 4
Kate Westcoast Photos google maps caught me laying in my undies Bike Touring 8

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$25.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $25.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $25.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $25.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $25.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$25.00
Goal
$100.00

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Threads in last 24 hours
Messages in last 24 hours
Members in last 30 days
Latest member
oogaBooga