Not sure what to say, I'm new I guess...

Nathan

Reaction score
Hey, I was just wondering if any of you have advice as far as places to go and how to make money for food and shit. I was just kicked out of the army for smoking hash in afghanistan after being in for 3 years. So now I just want to go out and do whatever the fuck I want to. Also one last note I'm trying to make it home to Vancouver, WA. from Glennville, GA..

bryanpaul

Reaction score
shit man..... it's easy out there most of the time.... if you've been in afganistan for 3 years... hitchin across america should be no problem.....easiest way to make money is to just write some shit on a peice of cardboard and hold it up somewheres visible to lots of passers-by, like on a highway exit ramp or busy city street "on the road...just need a little help"...."travelin, broke, and hungry"...or if you wanted to pimp your veteran status "just got back from afganistan...hitching home to washington...just need a little help"...some shit like that.....or you sit at home depot or lowes with a "need work " sign....i definitely suggest throwin yer veteran status out there......as far as places to go, it's startin to git chilly at nite, the latitude for comfortable temperatures is slowly moving south...california is always good from SF south the weather stays nice all winter uhhh i dunno ...the desert is really cool to hang out in if youve never been(oh...nevermind:confused:) austin texas is a pretty hip college city....depends on what yer lookin for i guess......kicked out of the army for smokin hash?...thats fuckin rediculous..... but yeah...good luck..... oh and for food google dumpster diving ;).....

Reactions: ayyyjayyy

Nathan

Reaction score
Awesome I appreciate it. Although I don't really want to make money off of being in the army as much as possible. I know while I was at fort campbell we used to go down to nashville every weekend and jam on the side walk by second ave. but that was just for fun never trying to get money. Can you make fairly decent money doing that?

bryanpaul

Reaction score
FUCK YEAH you can...... buskin is the way to go... i dont play an instrument but alot of my buddies do and if you can find a good spot you can make alot....at the same time... throwin a guitar case out and jammin at some podunk gas station in the middle of oklahoma might not work too well .....but yeah.... what do you play?

Nathan

Reaction score
Yeah I feel ya. I play guitar. But I just wasn't sure because I know in nashville most people just passed us by. But that was probably because we looked like military guys. How long do you think it would take me to make it to vancouver or portland from southeastern georgia?

bryanpaul

Reaction score
i've never been to downtown nashville but from what i've heard that place is probably the most saturated city in america with buskers and street musicians....so no surprise about not makin money there.....about hitchin....anything between 3 days and eternity is a possibility..........but nah if you were to just live on the onramps it shouldnt be too long.....

Nathan

Reaction score
Awesome, much obliged. But downtown Nashville is pretty fun though. If you go by the Vanderbilt college area in the parthenon thing you can usually find some pot or speed there on the ground where college kids drop shit. Also the frat houses by chili's are most always a good time. Oh and if army guys ever give you shit just tell them your with 5th group (special forces unit that is stationed with the 101st). Most times they'll leave you alone because Special Forces guys have been known to fuck people up pretty bad.

Unslap

Reaction score
Hey, bad deal with the hash dude. And yes, look up dumpster diving. It's something i do whenever possible, and i wouldn't eat after strangers. Go for expired/no longer fresh food! Also, i have a Lot of strangers and my hitching rides simply hand me cash without me asking. It helps that im 18 and unshaven could pass for younger, but you should get this too. On a side note, have any STPers had luck flying a work sign at hardware stores?
Oh Nathan Howd you find stp by the way?

Nathan

Reaction score
I found out about the site by one of my army buddies whose house I was staying at when I got booted by the army. He just told me about when he was younger and did shit like this all the time and said I should check out the site andI'd have the time of my life.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads