Northern Africa, Sahara travel. (1 Viewer)

Cardboard

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
I have spent quite a few years in the sonora and various deserts of the americas, but this winter I am planning to go into the sahara, and was wondering if people have done this, warnings, reccomendations, things to consider, etc...
I will spend a while researching some of the local flora and fauna, as well as the tribal people there. I know there are scorpions and snakes, but a good pair of spatz should take care of that.
Show me what you've got STP-

Click here to buy one of our amazing custom bandanas!

cranberrydavid

Rambler
Reaction score
I can't help much with this one. I've met travelers who've hitched trucks down to Marrakesh and said everything was pretty cool except for Tangier which is just like Tijuana. The usual boarder town scams on tourists. The thieves seem to like pills rather than knives or guns. I had a friend a few years ago who was drinking with some Moroccans and woke up 2 days later in a hospital with all his gear gone. I've heard several of those stories, but mostly targeting students, not serious travelers.

When you head out to the coast, I got a report from some friends last year that Dengue fever was pretty bad in the Cape Verde Islands and probably on the coast too so think about long sleeves, mosquito nets and bug repellent, the standard malaria stuff.

I'm afraid that's all I got for you. Good luck!

skiptown

Reaction score
Homebase
Chattanooga, Olympia or Oakland. Sometimes Brookly
Where exactly are you going? I've been wanting to go to Mali (especially in January for the annual Tuareg dessert festival) and Niger and a few other spots for a while. Mostly I am interested in trying to travel with some of the nomadic dessert tribes if possible. Has anyone else here traveled in North/Western Africa, especially as a solo lady? I've never had any qualms about going somewhere alone before but a lot of similarly brazen and experienced travel folk have highly discouraged me from traveling as a woman alone in certain islamic African countries. Does anyone here have some first hand advice?

Reaction score
Hi Jimmy, I can only speak for Morocco, but there you will not have the slightest problem to find a cheap hostel or hotel with availability. In many cases you will find several in one street and be one of the only guests as well. And that is in every city.

Cardboard

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
hah, who's jimmy?
just to update anyone who might be curious, do to the political situation in Northern Africa, we have decided to stick around southern spain for now. I knew I could get into Morocco no problem, but exiting there with the whole north of the country going crazy seemed a bit of a restriction I didnt want to deal with. For now I am living near Granada, and taking some time do do some longer term projects.

RKA

Lurker
Reaction score
Where exactly are you going? I've been wanting to go to Mali (especially in January for the annual Tuareg dessert festival) and Niger and a few other spots for a while. Mostly I am interested in trying to travel with some of the nomadic dessert tribes if possible. Has anyone else here traveled in North/Western Africa, especially as a solo lady? I've never had any qualms about going somewhere alone before but a lot of similarly brazen and experienced travel folk have highly discouraged me from traveling as a woman alone in certain islamic African countries. Does anyone here have some first hand advice?
I traveled in Africa solo, female and it was no problem. OK - I got in some messes - but only because of the journey I was driven to experience. As for being a woman, I felt quite safe. Travel light!

scatwomb

Wanderer
Reaction score
Homebase
Eugene
I can't help much with this one. I've met travelers who've hitched trucks down to Marrakesh and said everything was pretty cool except for Tangier which is just like Tijuana. The usual boarder town scams on tourists. The thieves seem to like pills rather than knives or guns. I had a friend a few years ago who was drinking with some Moroccans and woke up 2 days later in a hospital with all his gear gone. I've heard several of those stories, but mostly targeting students, not serious travelers.

When you head out to the coast, I got a report from some friends last year that Dengue fever was pretty bad in the Cape Verde Islands and probably on the coast too so think about long sleeves, mosquito nets and bug repellent, the standard malaria stuff.

I'm afraid that's all I got for you. Good luck!

I got Dengue fever when I was in East Africa a few months ago. It sucks.

RKA

Lurker
Reaction score
I have spent quite a few years in the sonora and various deserts of the americas, but this winter I am planning to go into the sahara, and was wondering if people have done this, warnings, reccomendations, things to consider, etc...
I will spend a while researching some of the local flora and fauna, as well as the tribal people there. I know there are scorpions and snakes, but a good pair of spatz should take care of that.
Show me what you've got STP-
Hi. I've wanted to do that too. I've made it so far as North Burkina Faso but waited to a ride for a couple weeks with no one going further north so I went back south. Would love to hear if you go etc...

RKA

Lurker
Reaction score
I found that in West Africa, in countries with strong Islamic population...it was no problem . Now, when I was traveling in Egypt, that was a very different story and very difficult for me. West Africa is easy as a solo woman, just beware of ....well.....maybe I won't write about what to beware of on such a public forum. You can ask me privately if you wish.
I love West Africa and was trying to get up to Mali....but didn't. Was traveling in the very very dry season....very infrequent transport. Good luck to you, would love to hear if you go. I encourage you as a solo female. - to go.....

Users who are viewing this thread

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $0.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $0.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully this will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $0.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $0.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.