NorCal and Oregon coast

Batsy

Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
What are some cool towns/places/things to check out when heading up highway 1 from the bay to Portland? Any good traveler-friendly towns to crash at for a night? And how’s the jugging on the 1? I know Oregon is transitioning some gas stations to self-pump. Does anyone know if the ones on the coast are self-serve now and if they’re juggable?

• Best of Luck!
Reactions: transcendentalhobo

japanarchist

Reaction score
Ashland, Eugene, and there’s a little town that has huge trees (maybe redwoods) and log cabin homes thats really beautiful but i cant remember the name of the town.

Reactions: Batsy

veiled rages

Reaction score
What are some cool towns/places/things to check out when heading up highway 1 from the bay to Portland? Any good traveler-friendly towns to crash at for a night? And how’s the jugging on the 1? I know Oregon is transitioning some gas stations to self-pump. Does anyone know if the ones on the coast are self-serve now and if they’re juggable?

Hello from the north oregon coast. I've been wandering this area & squatting the coast for a while now. I realize you posted this a couple months back & have probably gone on your journey already, so I don't want to go off on anything here if the request for information is no longer needed. :)

As of now, November 2023, most pumps are self serve 24 hrs, but with a card.

If you are still traveling up this way tho, feel free to respond here or reach out to me in any way, I'll be glad to share what I do know. That goes for anyone reading this.

transcendentalhobo

Reaction score
In 2019 I hitched from Olympia, WA to Arcata, CA. In Salem, OR my ride south on the 5 took me out to the coast, and I did the 101 south from Newport. The 1 stops pretty far south of the Lost Coast. Hitching was great, I even got housed by someone I met on a bus that stopped for me and gave me a ride for free! It was an all around good experience, I was leapfrogging with a few people on bike tour, but I didn't really meet anyone rubber tramping. It was mostly locals just giving me a ride to the next town south, over and over, until a boat dweller gave me a pretty long ride.

I also hitched the 101 north from Santa Rosa in 2015 when I got a ride from Berkeley, CA with a couple French Anarchist Vegan Lesbians I met at the Long Haul Infoshop who were really cool. So I've really only Traveled on the 1 south of the Bay, hitching out of Santa Cruz. It's still going in the North Bay, but I would recommend the 101 for hitching, I assume it'd also be better for rubber tramping. Towns like Laytonville and Cloverdale, CA were supper charming and I met great drivers there.

Spazz

Reaction score
I'd recommend avoiding Humboldt altogether and checking out Mendo instead. The coastline is gorgeous and it's more of an artist's community.

The mom 'n pop growers in Garberville are having a really rough time. It just isn't a safe, friendly, or fun place any more.

Rio Dell has improved significantly. We used to call it "Rio Hell", but it's clean, has one of the best dispensaries on the North Coast, and the locals are poor but friendly.

Arcata is probably okay, but everything changed after lockdown and it's way too bougie for my taste now.

If you haven't been to Crescent City yet, it's definitely worth checking out.

I know this is an old thread, but I'm an old fogey and I haven't been around much. I lived in Eureka for over 20 years before it became "YouTweaka" and sincerely hope the area can recover from economic devastation.

But there are other beautiful places to visit and new memories for you younger folks to make.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads