NOPD arrest 28 in French Quarter sweep

bernie a pie

Reaction score
Thanks for posting article that listed those arrested.
A few of my friends are listed but they were just ticketed with court tomorrow actually for glass bottle. We were sitting on neutral ground.
they will be surprised to see an article stating they were arrested.
the police presence was noticeable days leading up to this night. state troopers were eVery where and nights before vendors were getting ticketed up Frenchman.
the aggressive guys out there do need to stop drinking so much and calm down.
the night my friends were ticketed we were having a good Ole jam session on neutral ground. Causing no problems. We weren't busking or spanging just playing music minding our own buisness.

Hobo Huck

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.reddit.com
As a trainhopper, this is why I avoid 80% of other trainhoppers. Don't get me wrong, I have a ton of friends that are crusties and dirtykids, but NOLA is such a perfect example of how most of these scumfucks are blowing up the scene.

It's not the media or companies like Vice that is ruining the trainhopping scene, and causing agressive anti-vagrancy laws. Nope, you can thank 99.9% of that shit to the scumfucks and bums, period.

One nice thing about NOLA was that they would all bottle up there in the Winter, and mostly keep the infestation within a certain radius. Now that they're being pushed out, they're all going to Shreveport, Birmingham, Meridian, Mobile, Tuscaloosa, and blowing up those scenes as well.

It's like a lose/lose situation. Hate to say it, and I probably don't mean this literally, but I wish they would just all stay in NOLA all goddamn year long so I would know exactly which place to permanently avoid. Then I could freely enjoy the rest of America with other Vagabonds who have bigger aspirations than sitting on a sidewalk and panhandling for cheap vodka.

Last edited:

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
@Hobo Huck Thanks for that perspective...

As someone going to hit the road in the near future... that mostly when it counts keeps his head on straight.... this is good to know.

I still want to visit NOLA. To see some history and just experience it.

But I will keep my eyes open for trouble and my manners and class are always there for those that will welcome me.

Hobo Huck

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.reddit.com
@Hobo Huck Thanks for that perspective...

As someone going to hit the road in the near future... that mostly when it counts keeps his head on straight.... this is good to know.

I still want to visit NOLA. To see some history and just experience it.

But I will keep my eyes open for trouble and my manners and class are always in check for those that will welcome me.

@Odin Yeah don't get wrong, though.

I love beer, and there have been a few rare occasions when I have had to panhandle for a bus ticket or whatever. In fact, that's just part of living on the road and being between jobs.

But that's alot different from panhandling every single day and spending 3/4s of your money on vodka, heroin, meth, and percocets, then blowing up the scene, and then hopping a train to the next town with the sole purpose of blowing that scene up as well.

That's not traveling, and that's not being a vagabond or a hobo. That's just a lazy excuse for escapism, staying unemployed, leeching off of society and other travelers, all for the purpose of supporting some shitty addiction. It's not fair for the local citizens, and it's not fair to put that burden/reputation on other travelers.

As far as visiting NOLA, it's definitely worth going to. Jackson Square and the riverwalk is really awesome, and so is Louis Armstrong park. I like checking out some of the old graveyards too...there are some really trippy gothic and victorian gravestones. You can also get a temporary job dishwashing in the French Quarter without even hardly trying.

Last edited:

VikingAdventurer

Guardian of the Knowledge of the Wastes
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
That's not traveling, and that's not being a vagabond or a hobo. That's just a lazy excuse for escapism, staying unemployed, leeching off of society and other travelers, all for the purpose of supporting some shitty addiction. It's not fair for the local citizens, and it's not fair to put that burden/reputation on other travelers.

I agree with you, @Hobo Huck .
This is also why I generally travel solo. I do sometimes panhandle, but recently I've found that (for me personally) finding potential jobs/work in different states is more exciting, and gives me a reason to travel to some specific place. ::pompus::

Reactions: Jaguwar

Durp

Reaction score
Well the one positive is no one had their dog taken for real, and the pooches probably got some much needed medical attention, shots ect. if you are tired of getting fucked with by cops, blend in better. Idk I leave when I see the the 5-o around in strange numbers.... sort of common sense I thought, but eh I'm not a fucking junky so I don't associate with that crowd. Did tone my style back just a smidge and it made all the difference. I'm more concerned about not getting fucked with than looking "cool"

Wawa

Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Huh, just noticed some kind of "keep the french quarter safe" sponsored facebook ad popping up, full of confused comments which seem to merge violent criminals and drunk bums into a single entity. Whattabuncha handwringing.

Anagor

Reaction score
Website
anagortravelling.wordpress.com
Huck, you are a hobo with quite a high standard when it comes to work ethics, hobo tradition, hobo ethical code at alike. I respect that and I'm not far away from you since I plan to change my life (studied/worked and worked the last 23 years - last 2 years 9-5) and travel and work (in my case computer stuff I guess - but you never know).

Then I could freely enjoy the rest of America with other Vagabonds who have bigger aspirations than sitting on a sidewalk and panhandling for cheap vodka.

Said that, I think it's nothing wrong with sitting on a sidewalk and panhandling for cheap booze. I think the lifestyle we're talking about here is all about freedom. And if you want to do something like that ... why not? Can be fun. ;)

But you can still be a friendly, nice person. Know what you can do and what you shouldn't do (according to local laws, for example). Keep your booze somewhat concealed. Don't get aggressive, don't annoy your fellow travelers, juppies, shop owners or the grandma just coming by.

I don't know how it's in the states since I wasn't there yet, let alone NOLA. But I guess it's just the amount of travelers there with a quite large percentage of people who just can't handle their booze/drugs and/or forgot their good upbringing (or never had one).

tl;dr It's not always about what you do, it's about how you do it.

Reactions: Durp and Odin

bernie a pie

Reaction score
I get that NOLA has a ton of scum bags and addicts. but I am friends with nearly everyone on that list of "arrested", ticketed in reality. And none of them are junkies. I was trying to express that OPP came after the ones that were minding our own buisness...not spanging...not being agro..playing music..and we had one liquor bottle with about ten people around. Some of us had worked that night and met up after. I am a van dweller with NOLA as my home base...it has been for over a decade. As a solo female traveler with no addiction NOLA has been a great city for me. I can get a waitress job in a second and have a ton of great people that help look out for me.
those targeted that night were undeserving of that. there are some great spots for travelers to meet up...one being the spot we all were ticketed. ...the junkies stick to them selves and avoided police that night.

Reactions: Odin

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I get that NOLA has a ton of scum bags and addicts. but I am friends with nearly everyone on that list of "arrested", ticketed in reality. And none of them are junkies. I was trying to express that OPP came after the ones that were minding our own buisness...not spanging...not being agro..playing music..and we had one liquor bottle with about ten people around. Some of us had worked that night and met up after. I am a van dweller with NOLA as my home base...it has been for over a decade. As a solo female traveler with no addiction NOLA has been a great city for me. I can get a waitress job in a second and have a ton of great people that help look out for me.
those targeted that night were undeserving of that. there are some great spots for travelers to meet up...one being the spot we all were ticketed. ...the junkies stick to them selves and avoided police that night.

what ive been saying is that thanks to the people that have been dicks and making a nuisance of themselves, people like yourself and your friends (and the community as a whole) has to pay the price for their stupidity. it's definitely not fair, but it's also not going to stop until we as a community start making it clear that this shit isn't going to be tolerated anymore.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads