NOPD arrest 28 in French Quarter sweep

P

pigpen

http://www.wwltv.com/story/news/2015/03/28/28-individuals-arrested-in-french-quarter/70601714/

NEW ORLEANS -- New Orleans Police Department has reported 28 arrests made Friday evening as part of a targeted enforcement in the French Quarter.

A coordinated effort involving 8th District officers and off-duty NOPD was organized to address nuisance violations complaints in the French Quarter, New Orleans police said.

The type of complaints were not listed, but NOPD said the complaints came from business owners, residents and visitors in the French Quarter area.

NOPD said they worked with the French Quarter Task Force security detail and the LA-SPCA to conduct the enforcement. According to NOPD, the targeted individuals were involved in aggressive solicitations, illegal vending and obstruction of public right of ways.

The statement did not address the reason behind the involvement of the LA-SPCA with the operation, and no animals were confiscated.

Last edited:

Preacher

Reaction score
Lovely. Just lovely. And I'm headed there next week. I'm just monday-morning-quartebacking here, but I'm guessing they used undercovers along with the spca to pull papers on and search all the "undesirables". Probably used any violation of the letter of the law at all as probable cause. Even checking for dog tags and rabies shots I bet. Then take them in for whatever they could. Probably let most of them go in less than 24 hours. Bet it was more of a public relations thing than anything. But still.

P

pigpen

sweeps in the quarter are nothing new but 30 people is kinda a lot. if they got 30 people and didn't lock up any dogs, they must have left a fair amount of people on the street, meaning before the sweep there musta been a ton of kids in the quarter. I love new orleans and understand why so many people flock there, but jesus fucking christ kids give it a rest, the city is a whole lot bigger than the french quarter....

• Useful
Reactions: Odin

Dmac

Reaction score
I can't understand why some people get angry/aggressive when they are panhandling. makes no sense to me. or is it just me?

Waya anisitsune

Reaction score
this link has the people's name's and age's that were arrested - http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2015/03/french_quarter_transients_targ.html

By Jonathan Bullington, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune
Follow on Twitter
on March 30, 2015 at 6:45 PM, updated March 31, 2015 at 2:41 PM
In New Orleans' French Quarter, they are called many names: "Gutter punks," "dirty kids," "freight hoppers." To some, they're a frightful and aggressive nuisance - one targeted by a recent police sweep fueled by businessman Sidney Torres' pocket book and his task force.

To others, these men and women are just harmless travelers, fixtures of city living.

Sitting outside Walgreens on Decatur Street Monday afternoon (March 30), they were David Anthony Marsh, "Michael Moore" and Frederick Dehn -- and they were thirsty.

"Why didn't you get whiskey?" Marsh asked the other two, reaching out his hand to pass back a tall can of malt liquor.

"Whiskey was too expensive," Dehn responded. "We didn't have enough."

New Orleans police say the seasonal migration of "travelers" like Marsh and company poses problems for residents, businesses and visitors of the French Quarter -- the city's premier tourist destination. During a raid Friday, police arrested 22 people on 28 misdemeanor charges, most targeting loitering behavior and illegal vending that some neighborhood residents have complained about.

"They're not necessarily the biggest issue on the plate," NOPD Commander Jeffrey Walls, whose 8th District includes the Quarter, said of transient visitors. But dealing with the problems they pose, Walls said, is "like the broken window syndrome. If you address minor issues, you'll take care of the bigger ones as well."

Complaints of aggressive panhandling or clogging sidewalks have been a near constant in the area. But Walls said arresting someone accused of aggressive solicitation, for example, would typically take most of the arresting officer's day -- often requiring waiting for the accused to be checked out for an exaggerated medical condition.

Police are also ill-equipped to house the pets of transients who get arrested. The 8th District headquarters has only one dog kennel. Dealing with a second dog requires waiting for Louisiana Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals to come to the scene, or bringing the dog to the SPCA in after-hours cases.

So officers typically issued summons to appear in court. Those court appearances, Walls said, were often missed.

"We were beating our heads against the wall," he said.

Friday's raid a sign of new regime

Enter Torres, the former trash collection mogul who recently began personally paying for a crime-reporting app and off-duty NOPD officers to patrol the Quarter on all-terrain vehicles. Torres said he spoke with police about the challenges of addressing complaints related to transients, and agreed to donate $4,000 to have LASPCA officers join NOPD officers and off-duty task force officers in targeted enforcement efforts.

"It's a big problem," Torres said, relaying his own experience of an aggressive encounter with a transient outside his own home last week. "They make people feel unsafe."

Friday night's sweep of Decatur, Royal, St. Louis and Frenchmen streets netted 22 people arrested on 28 misdemeanor charges, NOPD said. Most charges, 15, were for obstruction of public passage, said NOPD spokesman Tyler Gamble. Six were on municipal warrants, three each for illegal vending or carrying open glass containers, and one for public intoxication.

Gamble released the following names and ages of those arrested in the sweep:

• Anthony Duncan, 33
  • Trevis Fisher, 37
  • Jeff Starks, 35
  • Brian Philower, 23
  • Stephen Sprul, 29
  • Kasem Hebert, 28
  • Patrick Thompson, 25
  • Selene Hart, 20
  • Jeffrey Edgerton, 24
  • Charles Bragg, 26
  • Lynda Madison, 44
  • Joseph Williams, 36
  • Michael Judge, 32
  • Joseph Vinyard, 24
  • Jeremy Groce, 26
  • Daniel Sullivan, 28
  • Scott Gioseffi, 35
  • Mohammad Karaji, 24
  • Jon Meredith, 49
  • Joshua Ryan, 25
  • Ronald Gilmore, 26
  • Nicholas Matthews, 26
No animals were taken into custody, police said. Alicia Haefele, spokeswoman for the LASPCA, said the agency often works with NOPD on daytime enforcement sweeps. With Torres' donation, she said the agency is available for additional patrol efforts.

Animals taken into LASPCA custody are spayed or neutered and given any necessary vaccinations, Haefele said. They are returned to their owners in all but a few cases, she said, such as when the animal is deemed too aggressive or is intentionally mistreated by its owner.

"We really want to do everything we can to reunite pets with their owners, and help give them the resources to care for their dogs," she said.

"A lot of these kids get kicked out of their home"

Outside Walgreens on Monday afternoon, a dog -- adopted by Marsh two months ago -- slept soundly while a cardboard sign reading "my dad needs beer" rested on its side.

The "elder statesman" of the group at 44, Marsh's pulled back hair showed shocks of the gray hair dominating his goatee. He's considered a freight hopper, he said, and the black bandana hanging around his neck, acting as sort of a frequent flier card, signifies he's logged more than 10,000 miles on the rails.

French Quarter transients In New Orleans' French Quarter, they are called many names: "Gutter punks," "dirty kids," "freight hoppers." To some, they're a frightful and aggressive nuisance - one targeted by a recent police sweep fueled by businessman Sidney Torres' pocket book and his task force.
"Cops don't like the way we look, or the way we dress," he said, stopping periodically to show off the two cardboard signs he was "flying" that day: "Vision of a Steak & Beer" and "Mama said wait here 40 years ago."

"A lot of these kids get kicked out of their home," he said. "They don't know where to go. A lot are good kids who want to see the world."

Marsh's own journey started in Minnesota, he said, and included time in Chicago before taking to the rails. He's working on a book, he said, and has collected thousands of photographs of the "dirty kids" he's met during his travels.

There have been arrests, he said, more than 30 in 26 cumulative years spent on New Orleans' streets. There have been fights and brushes with death. Dehn, sitting to Marsh's right, had a heroin overdose scare the night before, Marsh said, the medical bracelet still visible on Dehn's arm.

Few Quarter residents or visitors who passed by Marsh and his friends Monday afternoon gave them any money. Some showed slight amusement at the group's cleverly worded signs, with one man managing to snap what he likely considered to be a covert picture. One woman stopped to drop off leftover fries ("still warm," she touted) for the group, followed in short order by two older men who walked by shaking their heads and muttering something about heroin.

But most appeared to carry out their brief encounter with the group by making as little eye contact as possible, veering to the opposite side of the sidewalk as if an imaginary force had propelled them there.

"It's sad," said Patronia Phelps, 64, in town from Houston for a birthday party. "Very heartbreaking."

Perhaps the biggest score from the group -- now six members strong -- came from Chicago natives Matt Deponte and Lisa Schreck.

"I don't have any cash," Deponte, 36, told the group, holding up an unopened pack of cigarettes that drew rousing applause before it was shared among the group.

"I've been there. It's tough," Deponte said later. "I understand cops perspective, but I don't think you can generalize. I've seen some aggressive locals."

Edited to include the article text.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ByronMc

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
at the risk of being like, 'i told you so', i've been saying this is coming down the pipe for a while now. the only good news is that this is solely targeted at gutter punks, so if you're homeless/squatting in nola without a pack you probably don't have much to worry about. the cops will probably crack down harder though as time goes on.

• Useful
Reactions: Odin and ByronMc
D

Deleted member 125

isnt it a god damn well known thing to not bum out nola? walking around flying yer train flag is whatever but to show yer ass in front of locals anywhere is just rude and of course yer going to gain attention, not that this is anything new. why is this surprising to any of us that if you goto nola, meet 40 other train riders, pass around 15 bottles of booze and 8 space bags that by 2pm everyone will be in OPP?

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
isnt it a god damn well known thing to not bum out nola? walking around flying yer train flag is whatever but to show yer ass in front of locals anywhere is just rude and of course yer going to gain attention, not that this is anything new. why is this surprising to any of us that if you goto nola, meet 40 other train riders, pass around 15 bottles of booze and 8 space bags that by 2pm everyone will be in OPP?

to be honest, it's just plain old nihilism. the people doing this don't give a fuck about anyone besides themselves.

D

Deleted member 125

to be honest, it's just plain old nihilism. the people doing this don't give a fuck about anyone besides themselves.
its fucking embaressing. im not saying lets bring back beating people with smileys and tossing em outta boxcars when they drink too much to teach a lesson of some kind, but this kind of shit is just getting old to read about and even older to be a part of a group of people who act like this. im sure they arnt all bad folk or even that any of em deserve to be in jail, but if we cant police ourselves...

Jaguwar

Rebirthing phoenix
Reaction score
Probably not generally that bad, to be perfectly honest. The general truth is may people are decent, occasionally they get out of control for brief periods, nothing more. The problem is when you're in the fringes, the general population well treat you like... well, frankly like poor black ghetto people. One incident will trigger a knee jerk reaction that drags everyone else on the same fringe group (i.e. transients, or train hoppers in particular, it whatever) into the same boat regardless of individual action. In short, everyone gets judged not by the content on their character but by their... housing status, let's say.

All that to say, in a population that is small by definition, I'm guessing this isn't as common or even as dangerous as media accounts would lead one to believe.

on the other hand, if people were generally better at policing themselves, we wouldn't want or need police or government or any of that stuff. not really. Since we still have those institutions... *shrug*

Reactions: sandpaper cowboy
D

Deleted member 125

How common are the ones who act this way out there? I haven't started travelling yet, but I've ran into some kids in the downtown areas of cities who were just so blatantly being arrogant, brat, pricks. They would ask people for money while mocking them and shit, and just being all around disrespectful.
I lived in a punk house for awhile and we had a lot of train hopping kids over all the time and they were for the most part pretty chill. Good folk to drink a beer with.

So I guess what's the ratio is what I'm asking?

i avoid most train kids, does that answer yer question? i couldnt even give you a estimate because i stray away from that kind of thing, and im no saint either. but imo alot of people around my age give or take 5 or so years are usually asshole drunks or addicts who wear it almost as a badge of honor how many times they have been thrown in county for pulling bonehead shit and getting pinched.

Jaguwar

Rebirthing phoenix
Reaction score
OH! I meant to add this :
Having said ALL that, there are some immature people out there. If they're also fairly young, let's say under 30,the level of stupid immaturity can be pretty high. Especially if they think they have nothing to lose, because they have nothing to contribute. To anyone. Does that make sense?
For instance, I live in a college town. This means our so-called big problem here is mostly drunk college students. how old are they? Somewhere in between 20 and 30 of course. And there you go. It's not necessarily so much because they're on the streets, or because they're train hoppers, they're just young, dumb, full of cum, stupid... all of the above.

Reactions: sandpaper cowboy
P

pigpen

last time I was in town someone found a decapitated body under the wharf. it sounds like the cops spent more time coordinating this effort than they did to find out who was leaving dead junkies under the wharf, if that gives you an idea about how the NOPD views us...

sandpaper cowboy

the fool
Reaction score
last time I was in town someone found a decapitated body under the wharf. it sounds like the cops spent more time coordinating this effort than they did to find out who was leaving dead junkies under the wharf, if that gives you an idea about how the NOPD views us...

I can certainly believe that. If it was a mister Johnny Suburbonite they found under that wharf the entire state would've been swept for leads. From what I've seen of the NOPD, they love just beating the shit out of people and looking at tits. They call that a taco tuesday over there.

back to the point though, I can see where some resentment would get built up in homeless people, but I think it's important not to let the cancer that is bitterness eat away at them. There is enough bitter people in this world. I try to do my part by talking to people and trying to get them to have some compassion, but bitter people don't make it easy. Nothing wrong with being angry however, being angry can be a good motivator.

Reactions: Jaguwar
D

Deleted member 125

There is enough bitter people in this world. I try to do my part by talking to people and trying to get them to have some compassion, but bitter people don't make it easy.

are you talking about trying to get compassionate from police? from police in nola? good fucking luck. its a lost cause.

Jaguwar

Rebirthing phoenix
Reaction score
Sounds like Chicago and environs. Good thing I'm planning my NOLA trip for the first leg of my journey when I'll still have a running car. I especially don't want to be black and homeless there. *shudders*

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads