Newbi's introduction

Dae Dimple

Reaction score
Hello All.

Leigh here. I’m 38 and have been doing alternative travel since i was 15. Currently I am in Los Angeles and discovered this site through pure luck. Excellent.

I’m looking into exploring squatting, train hopping and bike touring, freeganism and dumpster diving in particular. I have wealth of knowledge when it comes to travel but the 5 above mentioned are ones i would like more knowledge about.

I am a freelancer so sometimes work is good and sometimes i have long lean periods. Trying to turn that into a bonus instead of a hindrance through further explorations on alternative living.

I’ve been to many countries, lived out of vans and storage containers, hitchhiked extensively and explored the forgotten places on the map.

That’s my cliff note introduction.

Reactions: Matt Derrick

Thorne

Stuck and stagnant
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.houselessnothomeless.org
Welcome. This is a wonderful source of knowledge. Most likely if there is something you want to know, there is someone here who has an answer for ya. Or you can share the tricks, tips, etc that you've learned too.

K

Kim Chee

anyone here dive in Los angeles or know of any LA squats?

I can't tell you squat about LA squats. People who have squats typically don't want them advertised in open forum. Possibly somebody can PM you some info, but even then, you've only been here a short while and people might be justifiably hesitant. Occasionally, a squat pops up and manages their business so well that they really don't care if you know where they are. I occasionally pass through L.A. and have dumpster dived for food here and there. Some neighborhoods are pretty good about locking up their dumpsters and there isn't much you can get to (the more crime-ridden places). Chances are you are only a couple bus rides away from a dumpster diving Shangri La. Getcha a good city map and a bus map and explore all that stuff. Don't forget to pick up recyclables along the way, you can make a few dollars all on your own, do something good and get a nice walk in all at the same time.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads