Newbie | Squat the Planet

Laika

Reaction score
Hey all!
I'm new to this group.
Basically, I'm a traveler but I've been living in Colorado for the past 6 years. My lease is up in December, and I'm thinking of a change of scenery with no permanent destination. Its myself, a van, and my dog, Abbey, a 3yr old Australian Shepherd.

Looking for community. I've done communal living before, and I'm looking for some kind of community house to stay for the winter. I can cook, clean, and potentially earn income depending on location (i have a good resume and also doordash for money).

I've tried the intentional community website, which is a good resource, but not active enough to get good responses. But basically, I really want to be surrounded by like minded people.

I'm an artist, kind of a hippie, kind of a punk, but I don't look the part. 420 friendly, been to 5 Rainbow Gatherings, lived in an anarcho squat and various punk houses in my 20's. No hard drugs. Well traveled and intelligent, someday I plan on writing a book.

So I'm still figuring out how this site works, but if anyone has leads on where I can travel to, let me know. Preferably on the West Coast.

Peace.

Jimmy Beans

Bad Order Hoghead
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
anyone has leads on where I can travel to, let me know. Preferably on the West Coast.

Well, you mentioned having traveled almost everywhere except the PNW.. so maybe the PNW? I really like Garberville CA and all points north of there on the coast.

Also, welcome.

Reactions: Laika

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I'm not currently in touch with a lot of communities like that but you might find Slab City interesting. It's far from an anarchist utopia, but there is a lot of freedom to do what you want there and you might enjoy seeing how a squatter town works without a central hierarchy.

Reactions: Laika

Laika

Reaction score
I'm not currently in touch with a lot of communities like that but you might find Slab City interesting. It's far from an anarchist utopia, but there is a lot of freedom to do what you want there and you might enjoy seeing how a squatter town works without a central hierarchy.
I'd thought about that, but I hear mixed things about it.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I'd thought about that, but I hear mixed things about it.
i'm not gonna lie, it's a mixed bag. i personally enjoy it, but i also only stick around groups there that aren't druggies or attract a lot of drama. plenty of people going in and out throughout the winter season though so you can meet a lot of like minded folks there.

Shit Beetle

Reaction score
If you're looking for a community of likeminded people and want to earn some cash look into www.alaskatourjobs.com I worked at their Mt McKinley Princess Wilderness Lodge in 2018 and loved it. You have to deal with tourists (bummer), but it's a beautiful spot and if you bring your van you can hook up to one of their RV sites. Meals are provided, and there's a lot of really cool people working there! It'd be temporary (I think the season runs from early May to mid September), but it's a great place to network and meet other travelers and nomads and save some money.

Also, welcome to the site! :-D

• Useful
Reactions: Barf and Odin

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads