Newbie (1 Viewer)

Laika

Lurker
Reaction score
Hey all!
I'm new to this group.
Basically, I'm a traveler but I've been living in Colorado for the past 6 years. My lease is up in December, and I'm thinking of a change of scenery with no permanent destination. Its myself, a van, and my dog, Abbey, a 3yr old Australian Shepherd.

Looking for community. I've done communal living before, and I'm looking for some kind of community house to stay for the winter. I can cook, clean, and potentially earn income depending on location (i have a good resume and also doordash for money).

I've tried the intentional community website, which is a good resource, but not active enough to get good responses. But basically, I really want to be surrounded by like minded people.

I'm an artist, kind of a hippie, kind of a punk, but I don't look the part. 420 friendly, been to 5 Rainbow Gatherings, lived in an anarcho squat and various punk houses in my 20's. No hard drugs. Well traveled and intelligent, someday I plan on writing a book.

So I'm still figuring out how this site works, but if anyone has leads on where I can travel to, let me know. Preferably on the West Coast.

Peace.

Click here to buy one of our amazing custom bandanas!

Eng JR Lupo RV323

Jerk bouncer with an attitude
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
anyone has leads on where I can travel to, let me know. Preferably on the West Coast.

Well, you mentioned having traveled almost everywhere except the PNW.. so maybe the PNW? I really like Garberville CA and all points north of there on the coast.

Also, welcome.

Matt Derrick

Permanent Wanderer
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I'm not currently in touch with a lot of communities like that but you might find Slab City interesting. It's far from an anarchist utopia, but there is a lot of freedom to do what you want there and you might enjoy seeing how a squatter town works without a central hierarchy.

Laika

Lurker
Reaction score
I'm not currently in touch with a lot of communities like that but you might find Slab City interesting. It's far from an anarchist utopia, but there is a lot of freedom to do what you want there and you might enjoy seeing how a squatter town works without a central hierarchy.
I'd thought about that, but I hear mixed things about it.

Matt Derrick

Permanent Wanderer
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I'd thought about that, but I hear mixed things about it.
i'm not gonna lie, it's a mixed bag. i personally enjoy it, but i also only stick around groups there that aren't druggies or attract a lot of drama. plenty of people going in and out throughout the winter season though so you can meet a lot of like minded folks there.

Tengu91

Wanderer
Reaction score
If you're looking for a community of likeminded people and want to earn some cash look into www.alaskatourjobs.com I worked at their Mt McKinley Princess Wilderness Lodge in 2018 and loved it. You have to deal with tourists (bummer), but it's a beautiful spot and if you bring your van you can hook up to one of their RV sites. Meals are provided, and there's a lot of really cool people working there! It'd be temporary (I think the season runs from early May to mid September), but it's a great place to network and meet other travelers and nomads and save some money.

Also, welcome to the site! :-D

Users who are viewing this thread

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $10.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $10.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully this will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $10.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $10.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.