New to the scene. Help?

Flash

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm pretty new to the squatter/adventurer/homeless scene.

I'm only 20 and I've lived a pretty standard american life. Military parents, public school, financial stability, etc etc. My rents are probably gonna be kicking me out (again) soon for smoking pot and also because I cant find a job. I have a friend called Six who's been doing this for about 16 years now and he's told me stories and given me tips and advice and whatnot over the past year that I've known him. But now, I'm gonna be put into the wild world of Earth. Can I get some advice and tips from the rest of you kind folk? Like what to pack, what to look out for, how to be safe, etc etc. I have no idea where I'm gonna go or how I'm going to get there (no car).

EphemeralStick

Andie of the House of Queer
Reaction score
welcome to the site. theres a whole bunch of threads here on what to bring and how to get where going. hope everythings useful for ya.

GinGin

Reaction score
Drink and do drugs in moderation, addiction is a sure fire way to wind up a homebum or a shitty road dawg. Also stay away from scumfucks... youll know them when you see them. I'm the type where itravel mostly alone unless my road dawg is cool, I don't deal with agro kids I leave them in the dust in an instant. If by chance you have to deal with people like that be firm but not an asshole..theres a difference between not taking shit in a calm and patient manner, and giving lip back and getting your shit fucked up real quick by a gang of em. If you don't have to fight, walk away. Also watch your back and trust no one out the gate, and even after you build some trust and rapport with someone watch your back even more than you did before, cuz that's when they strike. Oh and don't get too drunk with someone you don't know, and if you do do it during the day time close by to other people so you can get the fuck outta there need be and get to public. Raid= ghetto mace that can hit its mark up to 20 feet away :). Sleep with a rock/rail spike/blunt object(don't pull it out if youre not gonna use it tho). Realize that all the hardships youll go through stem from your thought processes, if you can overcome what you think you can control your situation and optimize your pleasure on the road/final conclusion of the day. Hide your money/valuables. Never leave your bag anywhere/ with anyone, yea the people you just chilled with seem cool but they've been eyeing all the shit you own and want it to be theirs. Be loyal to the good road dawgs who got your back, if theyre in jail you better be out flying for that bail money(unless they're scumfucks...see rule No.2). Soooockkks...theyre all youll evr need! And finally trust your intuition because for the most part its spot on and the one thing thattl keep you safe and out of harms way, and keep you traveling.

Edit: I could go on for a while but like previous posters have said you should find everything you need to know right hea on this site. Scour this shit all night(s) till the sun comes up and read and reread everything over and over again. IF youre really pumped and ready to travel(like I sense you are) youll have no problem doing that and will actually enjoy the knowledge you'll obtain. Do realize though that this sight is like fishing, I can tell you how to bait a hook and cast the line and reel it in, but until youre actually physically doing it for a bit you aint catching no fish haha. But granted what youll read will prepare you substantially to catch on a lot faster. That being said good luck man, maybe someday ill see you on the road, but until then safe travels, keep your eyes up, and keep dragging them feet. Peace man!

Flash

Reaction score
Thanks GinGin! Youre really helpful. I dont really do drugs. Tried a few, not my bag. Just stickin to weed, man :) I'm really glad you gave me the scoop on other people. Thats what I'm mostly nervous about. I'll be sure to keep an eye on everyone I come into contact with. Thanks again!

Reactions: Kellz

GinGin

Reaction score
Thanks GinGin! Youre really helpful. I dont really do drugs. Tried a few, not my bag. Just stickin to weed, man :) I'm really glad you gave me the scoop on other people. Thats what I'm mostly nervous about. I'll be sure to keep an eye on everyone I come into contact with. Thanks again!
No problem man, I just started out myself and was in the same shoes as you are now, so I know how it is to feel very overwhelmed before you even get out on the road. Good luck man and im glad I helped you out!

ericwild

Reaction score

if you go out and judge folks you will miss out on alot that the road and life has for you dont judge a traveler by looks

D

Deleted member 2626

I really refrain from using this site often but what scene? It something that you'll enjoy or you won't and will just be a homeless homebum. If you end up homeless in your hometown streets and their bad, get out you'll probably suffer. But, if you can find a good place to camp and work and you aren't spanging off people you recognize then ok I guess. And to say you can't find a job. Bullshit man. Look hard. Craigslist, want ads, go around on a weekend and find people doing yard work and ask if they need any cheap help. I've found jobs that way and by all previously listed. If your parents kicked you out cuz your a bum and you were buying bud with their dough. They have a point. I do drugs in moderation and drink pretty much every night and I stay at my rents when I have no where else to go and I work for my dad. They don't care, I just don't bum and lay around their house watching the stupid box. But alas, all people are different. And like ericwild said if you judge by looks and the way someone goes about something you will miss out on a lot. People say go by gut. Well many times my first few trips my gut said no and guess what that mother fucker was wrong. But, you can usually tell a shit head within a few minutes of regular convo. Good luck dude, stay armed and don't be COCKY, but really strive to not show fear, look too much like a greenhorn I think. Be safe

ericwild

Reaction score
I really refrain from using this site often but what scene? It something that you'll enjoy or you won't and will just be a homeless homebum. If you end up homeless in your hometown streets and their bad, get out you'll probably suffer. But, if you can find a good place to camp and work and you aren't spanging off people you recognize then ok I guess. And to say you can't find a job. Bullshit man. Look hard. Craigslist, want ads, go around on a weekend and find people doing yard work and ask if they need any cheap help. I've found jobs that way and by all previously listed. If your parents kicked you out cuz your a bum and you were buying bud with their dough. They have a point. I do drugs in moderation and drink pretty much every night and I stay at my rents when I have no where else to go and I work for my dad. They don't care, I just don't bum and lay around their house watching the stupid box. But alas, all people are different. And like ericwild said if you judge by looks and the way someone goes about something you will miss out on a lot. People say go by gut. Well many times my first few trips my gut said no and guess what that mother fucker was wrong. But, you can usually tell a shit head within a few minutes of regular convo. Good luck dude, stay armed and don't be COCKY, but really strive to not show fear, look too much like a greenhorn I think. Be safe

i dont drink anymore but i could kick it with you ...life fucks us all up some faster then others .. i LOVE folks that know their fuck up real fuckn folk ... just caues life makes me mad some times dont make me agro or a "scum fuck"..

GinGin

Reaction score
i dont drink anymore but i could kick it with you ...life fucks us all up some faster then others .. i LOVE folks that know their fuck up real fuckn folk ... just caues life makes me mad some times dont make me agro or a "scum fuck"..
No it doesn't everuone gets mad, so maybe I should explain what I meant by it better. Agro/Scumfuck to me isn't about just getting mad...theres a difference between getting mad and threatening someone or taking it out on someone else physically. I get mad on the road too, but im not about to get totally irrational and caught up in my emotions to do something ill regret lata. But yes if youre gonna threaten me/attack m/rob me because youre mad at the world or just too drunk then yes you are a scumfuck and yes you are agro. So no need to get defensive man you probably don't fit into that category, i'm not a judgemental person I just listen to what my body tells me. And granted you can't jusge a person by how they look, its their actions that make the difference ..so I shouldn't have worded it the way I did. when I meant "you'll know when you see them" I meant more of the feeling you get and what you feel their vibes are like..more of a subconscious thing than a visual observation.

Charlie

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
You can learn a lot from smart people if you're good at listening, even of they're a meth addict. Don't give into peer pressure and simply observe what they do other than drugs.

Don't attach yourself to anybody you don't know, not in a good way or bad way. People are fascinating in their every action if you make yourself a student every day.

Hang out with locals and interact in communities rather than spanging on the street. Take up a few hobbies and prepare to travel in the fashion you wish.

Take care of your feet.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads