New to STP and kicked out!

P

Poptart

Hey there I'm poptart. I was recently asked to leave my parents house ( or the cops would be called). So now I'm considering traveling, I think that it may be an experience that would benefit me. I really don't know what to say. I like metal music and punk rock so I'm down to talk about all that shit. I'm pretty easy going so feel free to stop by and say something.

N0MAD

Reaction score
Hi and welcome to STP there lots of great people here.

A

AlwaysLost

Ohio is also home to some of the finest Eastern woodlands. I didn't find the people to be all that friendly but great camping if you like bushwhacking.

Reaction score
The appalachian mountains are an amazing area for deep old forests. It's gorgeous out there
I haven't been lucky enough to see the Appalchians but the Sequoias in Northern California are the oldest and biggest trees on earth, aren't they? And the whole area around Big Sur, (much further south, but still cold,) is totally amazing. There aren't words. There are only so many things that California can really be proud of, so I gotta throw it out there when I can.

Shwhiskey Gumimaci

Reaction score
I haven't been lucky enough to see the Appalchians but the Sequoias in Northern California are the oldest and biggest trees on earth, aren't they? And the whole area around Big Sur, (much further south, but still cold,) is totally amazing. There aren't words. There are only so many things that California can really be proud of, so I gotta throw it out there when I can.
Redwoods are great, but the appalachians have a totally different feel to them. The fog that rests on the mountains gives you this eerie, beautiful and unearthly feel. The entire area makes you feel a sense of wonder and smallness that's different from the redwoods. The redwoods give you a sense of walking into something ancient and bigger than yourself. I don't know, they're both great.

Applelatchun

Reaction score
Hey man and welcome! I love the mountains, all mountains, but especially ... the Appalachias. I was born and raised there. Southeastern Kentucky. Small town named Barbourville. I was just thinking today how great it would be to forage for the morels right now, as they are in season. Also, this time a few years back, I was able to experience "ramps" in West Virginia for the first time and I loved them. So many foods that can be had for nothing. It's also time for Polk. AKA: Poke Sallet or, ... Polk Salad. American Pokeweed is its official name I believe. A very good tasting green if it is prepared and cooked right. Then come July, the blackberries are infinite. Aside from the rich food, Appalachia is by far (in my opinion) the friendliest section of North America. In them there hills, it's nothing the see lots of waving hands and get plenty of rides. There is so much to do there, from Maine all the way down to Georgia. I've always fancied trying the Appalachian Trail, but I seem to always get sidetracked. Traveling is good for the soul. Many folks usually set sail after some big event or out of necessity. Either way, consider yourself fortunate --- you're still breathing. Get out there and enjoy life. Be safe!

A

AlwaysLost

Hey man and welcome! I love the mountains, all mountains, but especially ... the Appalachias. I was born and raised there. Southeastern Kentucky. Small town named Barbourville. I was just thinking today how great it would be to forage for the morels right now, as they are in season. Also, this time a few years back, I was able to experience "ramps" in West Virginia for the first time and I loved them. So many foods that can be had for nothing. It's also time for Polk. AKA: Poke Sallet or, ... Polk Salad. American Pokeweed is its official name I believe. A very good tasting green if it is prepared and cooked right. Then come July, the blackberries are infinite. Aside from the rich food, Appalachia is by far (in my opinion) the friendliest section of North America. In them there hills, it's nothing the see lots of waving hands and get plenty of rides. There is so much to do there, from Maine all the way down to Georgia. I've always fancied trying the Appalachian Trail, but I seem to always get sidetracked. Traveling is good for the soul. Many folks usually set sail after some big event or out of necessity. Either way, consider yourself fortunate --- you're still breathing. Get out there and enjoy life. Be safe!

Pokeweed is edible if cooked right. Pokeberry compote or pie is delicious but the leaves and berries are toxic uncooked. I eat it sometimes if I'm desperate, but you better boil those leaves multiple times.

P

Poptart

Thanks man! Really appreciate it and the advice. I've been up there once in town to help with a soup kitchen, beautiful place!

A

AlwaysLost

You said Sallet not Salad my bad sorry. Thank you for teaching me a new word lol. I'll have some pokeweed Sallet in your honor later this summer lol.

autumn

Lurker
Reaction score
Redwoods are great, but the appalachians have a totally different feel to them. The fog that rests on the mountains gives you this eerie, beautiful and unearthly feel. The entire area makes you feel a sense of wonder and smallness that's different from the redwoods. The redwoods give you a sense of walking into something ancient and bigger than yourself. I don't know, they're both great.

After being stuck in Appalachia for 6 months I've gotta say, they sure do have a different feel to them - when you're constantly looking over your shoulder to avoid the toothless methheads. They need to open some dental clinics here. - Shit, one of my teeth is sideways from impacted wisdom teeth - I need to go to a dental clinic too...

Really though, the land here is beautiful, but the people are horrible.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads