New older guy...

philoguy

Reaction score
Howdo,

I'm new to hitching/hopping but I'm old it seems compared to most here. It's something I always wanted to do. Went to school for philosophy and got lost in the rat race.

I'm dead serious about heading out for a few years so anyone interested in hooking up (not what you think), feel free to email me at philoguy73@gmail.com. When I was in college a buddy of mine and I planned a whole trip out...never worked out - he got married and became a stock broker.

I'm 37, male, not a punk and most certainly not a kid but I want to follow the kerouac model for a couple years. I'm not a hippie either. I think it's best to be honest. I'd prefer to hook up/spend some time traveling with others.

I smoke/drink and require anyone else to bathe regularly - I'm buying gear for myself including a two person tent. My thing is just traveling...I did a few hostels but now I want to hit the US.

Sorry for being so blunt but I think it's best to be upfront. I'm leaving from southern WV and going wherever.

Thanx.

Kalalau

Reaction score
honestly I'd not pack a tent.. and don't worry about the shower thing.. you'll be miserable if you're worrying about smelling fresh.. because you and your traveling companions wont(be smelling fresh). but you probably won't notice anyways.. and god damn if a shower and clean clothes don't feel damn good on your skin after unwittingly living in filth for a few weeks. I'd reccomend packing light.. but don't skimp on water. (EVER) you never know where you'll end up and for how long. a wool blanket is great if you don't mind freezing your ass off sometimes as it's light.... but a sleeping bag is bulky as hell, but you'll probably always be warm..if you're taking cash with you than play it by ear.. and keep in mind you can think about it forever, but it's not till you actually go do it that any of that you realize that all that thinking was a waste of mental energy... bon voyage

paddymelt

Reaction score
Blunt is good. My advice: Fuck kerouac, that fool was a mommas boy. He wrote On The Road while living in his moms basement. Follow your own "model."

Murf

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I feel you on a lot of main points you made. your road dog is something you will use more than your underwears if you choose to use em , free ballin saved my live twice. Where you at?

philoguy

Reaction score
Thanx for the tips. I need a tent. The idea of sleeping in the rain/snow for a few days sucks and not being clean...not gonna happen. I'm not about being a bum.

It's funny, someone posted a picture of GG Allin's funeral in another thread - probably the worst punk to ever live.

There's nothing punk about being dead. You want to kill yourself, just do it - don't try and make a media circus, advert, next room to crash in about it. Never found that guy interesting. A lying fucking lunatic that cried for a cowards way out and couldn't even take that. Anyone notice he didn't die on halloween?

Kurt Cobain was more "punk" (and I can't stand him). He ate a shotgun. GG kept promising to do it and ended up accidentally overdosing. It's better he died, lying for fame. Janis Joplin would be proud. I don't have pity for people who live a lie or die to hide it...

"The dead know only one thing, it's better to be alive". - full metal jacket

I'm leaving from southern WV the end of this month.

Thanx again.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads