New Instrument, Can't Figure It Out, Need Help | Squat the Planet

New Instrument, Can't Figure It Out, Need Help

RovingGale

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Heyo folks :) So I just acquired a sweet little ¿dulcimer? ¿strumstick? thing via barter, but when turning to the internet for help with learning how to play the dang thing, I'm kinda stuck - I can't even figure out what the dang thing is commonly called, despite it having information written directly on it. Does anyone recognize this thing? I've googled a bunch of different ways and literally the only thing that turns up is an old etsy for-sale post selling what looks exactly like my instrument, except less worn, with no further info. If anyone could help me out with any further resources, I'd super appreciate it. (Picture totally stolen from the etsy listing, 'cause it's the exact same instrument and I didn't see a reason to take a new picture.)
il_570xN.486029942_hvol.jpg

D

Deleted member 125

well what you got there is a old hillbilly saw. its basically a banjo/saw hybrid played from the lap. that groove in the middle is for fitting it on yer lap legs at a relaxed open position. its hard to explain exactly why but its basically a guitar/banjo/fiddle that sits in yer lap instead of being played upright like a guitar. but same basic twangy sound as a banjo/fiddle.

RovingGale

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
@Haasi Kuwa I didn't think it was a dulcimer because it's not hollow - the body is solid except for a small cutout on the back, and every picture and video of dulcimers I've seen shows them with a hollow chamber instead of a solid body. Thanks for the youtube links, though! I'll watch 'em when I can!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads