New here. Want to introduce myself. | Squat the Planet

New here. Want to introduce myself.

• Thread starter Deleted member 25986
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 25986

Hello all. My name is Quentin. I'm currently in Tampa, Florida. I've been back here since 2017. I went traveling the states by myself for over two years from 2015 to 2017. I was hoping to meet new people and see new places. It didn't work out... Because I was going to the wrong places and meeting the wrong people. I was going to different intentional communities here and there. It wasn't worth it. There was a lot of emotional hurt... My main method of traveling was using Greyhound buses which I loathe doing. Never again. I did hitchhike here and there but never for long distance. Me traveling for over two years wasn't as fun or memorable as it should have been.

It got to the point that I was force to come back to Florida. I've been trying to figure things out ever since. I don't belong here. I've just been looking for something better in my life while I'm still living. Will love to travel again but only with someone else or a small group of people. I just don't know at the moment. Things have been really rough for me for a really long time now. Just wanted to give this site a chance and see what comes out of it. So we'll see I suppose.

Thanks for reading. Appreciate it.

WyldLyfe

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
graphics-welcome-750656.gif

starpurple

Reaction score
welcome, im new too but located in utah far away from florida. thanks for the brief story of your experiences for those two years. would like to hear a longer version of those two years and why it was not fun, sounds interesting

D

Deleted member 25986

welcome, im new too but located in utah far away from florida. thanks for the brief story of your experiences for those two years. would like to hear a longer version of those two years and why it was not fun, sounds interesting
Thanks. Haven't really been to Utah... Open to it. Have to be when it comes to traveling. And your welcome. I will not mind telling a bit more of my experiences when it comes to those two years of traveling. It's not going to be fun though of recalling my very negative experiences and there was a lot...

Spazz

Reaction score
Welcome!

Greyhound would be enough to turn anyone off to the idea of low-budget travel. I'm glad you are willing to keep trying. I have fond memories of Florida (hitchhiking in the early '80s) but it did not strike me as a good place to grow up in and never leave.

I'm undoubtedly old enough to be your parent now and too nervous about embarking on my own "next exciting adventure" to be talking down to you like this, but you're in the right place.

roughdraft

Reaction score
View attachment 52308 It's been said - and I'm paraphrasing here - by people a lot wiser (and even better looking) than me, the more expectation we invest in others the greater the disappointment at the payoff (or lack thereof)...

what I mean to say is Here's to your ever-changing luck!

disappointment is born from expectation isn't it?

• Epic
Reactions: Spazz
D

Deleted member 25986

Welcome!

Greyhound would be enough to turn anyone off to the idea of low-budget travel. I'm glad you are willing to keep trying. I have fond memories of Florida (hitchhiking in the early '80s) but it did not strike me as a good place to grow up in and never leave.

I'm undoubtedly old enough to be your parent now and too nervous about embarking on my own "next exciting adventure" to be talking down to you like this, but you're in the right place.
Thanks.

Yeah... Never going to use Greyhound ever again. It's bullshit. I don't have many fond memories of Florida as a whole. Not really... My life here has been wasted and unfulfilling. I have nothing going here for me. It is what it is... It's why I'm on here. To give it a chance. To see if I can finally found something better for my life. But I've been treated horribly here and there so it's just really tiring at this point. Emotionally overwhelming... We'll see I suppose.

Spazz

Reaction score
I'd pick you up if I saw you beside the road with your thumb out, for whatever that's worth. Probably feed you and keep you around for a few days to show you some cool places and people too if you were up for it and not creeped out by ugly old people and their dogs.

• Haha
Reactions: Juan Derlust
D

Deleted member 25986

I'd pick you up if I saw you beside the road with your thumb out, for whatever that's worth. Probably feed you and keep you around for a few days to show you some cool places and people too if you were up for it and not creeped out by ugly old people and their dogs.
Thanks. I appreciate that. I'm open to it I know that.

Spazz

Reaction score
My memory's a bit foggy, but I think you just need to hop on I-10, make a left on I-5, get off as soon as you can find 101, meander on up Avenue of the Giants and I'll meet you at Winco's.

I'm serious if you are.

D

Deleted member 25986

My memory's a bit foggy, but I think you just need to hop on I-10, make a left on I-5, get off as soon as you can find 101, meander on up Avenue of the Giants and I'll meet you at Winco's.

I'm serious if you are.
Okay. I'm serious as can be. I'm currently in Florida though... While it says you're in California. I've never hitchhike long distance before... Only short distance. I don't really feel all that comfortable doing long distance by myself mostly because my social skills aren't the greatest. I was born with a speech and language disorder called developmental verbal dyspraxia. It has not done me any favors growing up along with many other reasons. I just think it will be better if someone traveled with me doing long distance when it comes to hitchhiking.

Spazz

Reaction score
Yea, I'm in Humboldt right now. Not Arcata, but close enough. I think there's a section here for finding a road dawg, but please be careful. I talk big but my experience is all very old and I have to look back through rose coloured glasses right now.

But if you're serious, I am too. I can't offer a couch or a job or even reliable meals because everything is very precarious right now and I can't predict what might happen with no warning that might leave me unable to keep promises.

You might want to consider this offer a goal to work up to, starting slow with short distances, meeting other people online here, getting a bit more comfortable in your own skin, and thinking about whether you really want to come to CA, which has its share of problems, or Utah, which probably has its share of different problems, but dang, it's beautiful out in the sticks there. I have this visual image of waking up and looking out the window outside of SLC right at sunrise in '81ish burned into my soul.

You've already had some bad experiences from all that time on the 'hound as well as the verbal dyspraxia, so give yourself a break and show yourself the same compassion you would anyone else.

But I'm still serious and Winco's would be a nice, safe, public place to meet up whenever you're ready. It's much cheaper than Ray's in Garberville. My car's 30 years old, so I can be tootling along cheerfully planning my next step forward and suddenly be stranded and need to come up with thousands to get it running again.

Also, there's no trim work here. Everybody's broke. The county is totally screwing over the original growers and people are losing the homes that they built with their own hands when they were your age.

My dispensary isn't that bad, but most of that shit is grown in greenhouses in Santa Barbara.

There's a lot of hype, but it's actually a very humble county and I think it would do you some good to see it before it's gone.

Or maybe that's just me. I came out from Philly (pre-internet) when I was fifteen to see if what this guy I was fucking said about Humboldt was true.

Some of it was and some of it wasn't. Some of it has changed so much it makes me too sad to play tour guide, but you'll meet some folks closer to your own age once you get out here and want to get rid of me soon enough.

D

Deleted member 25986

Yea, I'm in Humboldt right now. Not Arcata, but close enough. I think there's a section here for finding a road dawg, but please be careful. I talk big but my experience is all very old and I have to look back through rose coloured glasses right now.

But if you're serious, I am too. I can't offer a couch or a job or even reliable meals because everything is very precarious right now and I can't predict what might happen with no warning that might leave me unable to keep promises.

You might want to consider this offer a goal to work up to, starting slow with short distances, meeting other people online here, getting a bit more comfortable in your own skin, and thinking about whether you really want to come to CA, which has its share of problems, or Utah, which probably has its share of different problems, but dang, it's beautiful out in the sticks there. I have this visual image of waking up and looking out the window outside of SLC right at sunrise in '81ish burned into my soul.

You've already had some bad experiences from all that time on the 'hound as well as the verbal dyspraxia, so give yourself a break and show yourself the same compassion you would anyone else.

But I'm still serious and Winco's would be a nice, safe, public place to meet up whenever you're ready. It's much cheaper than Ray's in Garberville. My car's 30 years old, so I can be tootling along cheerfully planning my next step forward and suddenly be stranded and need to come up with thousands to get it running again.

Also, there's no trim work here. Everybody's broke. The county is totally screwing over the original growers and people are losing the homes that they built with their own hands when they were your age.

My dispensary isn't that bad, but most of that shit is grown in greenhouses in Santa Barbara.

There's a lot of hype, but it's actually a very humble county and I think it would do you some good to see it before it's gone.

Or maybe that's just me. I came out from Philly (pre-internet) when I was fifteen to see if what this guy I was fucking said about Humboldt was true.

Some of it was and some of it wasn't. Some of it has changed so much it makes me too sad to play tour guide, but you'll meet some folks closer to your own age once you get out here and want to get rid of me soon enough.
Okay. I've checked into that section for road dawgs but haven't really talk to anyone yet or anything. I'm just trying to make sure because I do have some serious trust issues and I've been hurt one to many damn times in my life enough as it is. So I'm very cautious and weary because of it. I have done some attempts of talking to a select few here though based on what they've posted. So at least there's that.

And like I said I am serious... I just have a lot of issues that I'm dealing with and all that. And that's understandable that you might not be able to keep promises if something came up. That's fine. I always travel with a tent and sleeping bag just in case. Don't mind doing that.

I feel like that this might be a decent goal to work to and all that. I'm going to take my time with it though. I've never been to Utah but I have been to California a few times here and there. Too bad I don't really have positive experiences there for various reasons. Going to try to meet people on here and see where it goes while building confidence because it's happen before.

And yeah... I do have plenty of bad experiences. Those two years weren't as good as they should have been... But I understand what you're saying though.

Sorry to hear that there's been some problems with where your at... Progress sucks. Either way, I'm going to take my time and all that. See where it goes and decide from there. So we'll see.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads