New here thinking of traveling to michigan

NeacoTheChef

Reaction score
Hey new here been a fan of a few youtube train hoppers and Iv recently decided to move from south carolina to michigan and I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to go from charleston to grand rapids so if any advice would be greatly welcome

D

Deleted member 8978

Greetings!

As a newcomer, you have to make sure you teach yourself how to safely get on and off all types of freight cars - while they're stopped. You also have to memorize symbols because that is what will help you figure out which train is going where - without that, you will be placed in confusion. As dangerous as train hopping is, your brain and your body will be put to the ultimate test. One wrong move could be your last!

Once you have everything figured out -- Charleston is part of CSX's east coast corridor which connects between NY/NJ/PA and as far as Miami, FL. It also has additional lines leading toward Michigan, Illinois, and Memphis, TN.

If you find a string of Tropicana freight cars led by locomotives going northbound, you might have to sneak into a rideable intermodal well and go north (edited) toward NJ. When you get to NJ, look for an empty auto rack out of Doremus, NJ since they send some toward OH and MI.

Chances are, make sure you fully understand how railroads work because they're giants! You won't find those in a toy box. Be careful out there. Hit us up if you need anything.

A moderator may move this thread without notice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Frypan Meatboots

NeacoTheChef

Reaction score
I know the CSX yard in Charleston well since I lived near it but its still intimidating going for a multi train run to michigan but hopefully I wont punk out when I get close and use a amtrack or greyhound for the final leg of the adventure

Last edited:

EatMoreRoadKIll

Reaction score
Grand Rapids definitely seems a good choice for a chef. It didn't seem like there was much of an anarchist punk scene there, but then again I only stopped through briefly. As you probably already know it's pretty upscale in places with tons of resturants, and art. It also has it's rougher areas.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads