New here - any Aussies?

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Well hello there and welcome. If you go to "Members" and then "User Map" it shows there are/were registered members there. I know of a loooooonnngg distance bicycle rider there who originates from Canada. Lovely country you have there.

Kal

Reaction score
Welcome. Australia cool, after I see all 50 states here in the US that is one of the many places I would love to go. Been to 26 states so far most of it by hitching but I have hopped a few trains and if you decide to do this STP has loads of information about train hopping just please be careful.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
man, im totally down, it's just a matter of getting the money to get out there from the states! australia has been #1 on my list for quite a while now. what area of australia do you live in?

Reactions: Kal

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Australia has captured my imagination more than once.
Most recently when I watched and researched on lake Eyre.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Eyre
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Eyre_basin
Damn amazing ... there are doc vid on it...
Basically watershed basin... or drainage basin (former US term latter AUS? or other than the empire states... )
If you try search there are good doc on it.

OH and welcome. :D

D

Deleted member 20

Welcome & ahoi ::eyepatch:: I dont know much about Australia that didnt come from watching Crocodile Dundee movies. I do like how australian aborigines go out on walkabouts. While we often start out as teenagers as well going out on our own exploratory walkabouts, I like how I can still continue to go on walkabouts as an adult where ever & whenever I want to recharge my batteries. When I am not traveling over the roughly 7-8 months a year I get to belong & be a part of our wonderful community here on STP.

KoalaMel

Reaction score
man, im totally down, it's just a matter of getting the money to get out there from the states! australia has been #1 on my list for quite a while now. what area of australia do you live in?

I'm from South Australia, and I'd really love to make my way up the east and reach Queensland, and come back through and see Uluru. It's a beautiful country, I just need to see more of it!

Reactions: Kal and Odin

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I'm from South Australia, and I'd really love to make my way up the east and reach Queensland, and come back through and see Uluru. It's a beautiful country, I just need to see more of it!

nice, do you have any advice for us that are interested in visiting your country?

KoalaMel

Reaction score
I think one of the things that a lot of people forget about Australia is just how huge it is, with sometimes very little in between cities. A lot of the info in here seems to be for the US and Europe, which just makes me wonder how much of it could be applicable to Aus :/ There is so much to see here though, from tropical far-north Queensland, sprawling urban cities like Sydney and Melbourne, the amazing sights in Kakadu and of course, the red sunsets in the desolate outback.

Another thing for Australia I would say is about our weather... it's damn hot in summer. That comes with all the complications of dehydration and health problems occurring much quicker. Going into the outback is something I want to do, but still worries me knowing how far away from the nearest town I'll be...

Not sure if that's what you're looking for, but I'm happy to answer anything else! :)

Reactions: Odin

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I just get giddy and excited about your homeland cuz Australia as a continental island has the oldest land mass on earth.
I think...
There may be continental cratons http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craton like the eroded bedrock of canada... that date older but I don't even have a clue...
The radiological dating of zircon crystals from Australia have dated earth to over four billion years old.
http://www.amnh.org/education/resources/rfl/web/essaybooks/earth/cs_zircon_chronolgy.html
Its awesome...and makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
Is that weird?
I guess.
:D

Last edited:

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Oh as a joke... (remember I have been drinking) who here likes Orogeny?::hilarious::
Its not what you think lol ::eyepatch::
Look it up. ::woot::

Awww shucks I'll do it for ya... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orogeny ::cigar::

Reactions: Kal

Kal

Reaction score
Reactions: Odin

SnakeOilWilly

Reaction score
My second cousin lives in Australia. She hitched quite a bit in the 70s. Solo too. My grandparents thought she was a bad influence on my mom and blah blah blah. She lives in perth and if I ever get the $$$ I'd love to go see her and hitch across Australia through the outback etc.

Is there train hopping in aus? (are there trains?) Like highwayman I only really know the Aussie stereotypes (sorry it's just how America is. We're all ignorant)

Anyway be careful and have fun!

D

Deleted member 20

I have actually seen some documentaries about people who live in modern cave homes that are dug out with large machines with circular blades too. I actually really dig that type of homebuilding, sorry for the pun.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads