New guy based outta Jersey

TJXLH

Reaction score
Hey all! I'm TJ!

A little bit about me: Right now I'm based out of New Jersey. I'm 23, and I work as a carpenter for a theatre. I build the sets and whatnot. Its wonderful work, and I love it. The first few years of every scenic carpentry career involves a ton of moving around- I changed states every three to nine months for what felt like forever, and picked up work everywhere I could. Now, I've got a "stable" (if such a word can ever really describe a job in the arts) job that treats me pretty well, but I feel moss growing behind my ears. 'Real life' is getting boring, fast.

I picked up an old Harley-Davidson XLH a few years ago, and basically rebuilt the thing. Its just about at the point where I trust it on long trips. Its helped keep me sane. Its not terrible on gas, its fun to cruise around on, and itl take off like a fuckin rocket out of the hole if I ask it to.

I work on a contract. My contract runs out in April, and doesn't renew until August. That means I have most of the summer riding season without too much in the way of work or obligations. I was thinking of taking a long trip around the continental US, visiting all of the friends I've made through my professional travels. And then I thought to myself: What if instead of planning it like a vacation, with an itinerary and scheduled stops; I just kinda rode around for a couple months, found a way to keep gas in the tank, camped out wherever I could, played my banjo, and went to a bunch of punk shows?

And so I'm here.

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Nice intro!!! Ex husband and ex boyfriend were in clubs with the HD's - lots of fun! That sounds like a great idea of traveling! We have a great crusty couch surfing forum here (I know cause I'm an upstate NY couchsurfing place) that you might want to take a look at for your travels. Have fun - and welcome aboard!

D

Deleted member 20

Welcome. I too have worked seasonally to fund my adventures. I am in the process of changing careers to enable me to travel & get paid while also attending shows/fests at the same time. Historically I have traveled 20k-30k miles a year for fun hopping trains, hitchhiking, using rideshare & cheap buses. The notion of me not having a base of operations is impractical, I have a 10 year old in school & a wife (both require weekly/monthly doctors appointments).

If I was able to get any sort of drivers license I would most certainly have an old school rigid harley or triumph chop. Im glad that you are finding your way. I like the idea roaming around on your sportster. You can camp, couchsurf etc. perhaps you can store your belongings & reduce housing costs to help you get going. Don't let any of those fake ass bikers with their fancy baggers dissuade you, just hit the road & go.

Who knows while you are traveling around you may find another place where you want to live for a while. Voila, another chapter in your life just like that. I am sure at age 23 there is plenty that you will want to do & see, that you may not even know about yet.

P.S The thought of living in the state of New Jersey gives me much anxiety & thoughts of suicide.

"Everything you want is on the other side of Fear"

Good luck

D

Deleted member 20

"Make some money but dont let money make you" sounds like a fitting quote for your situation.

If I may quote Gordon Gekko, "whats worth doing is worth doing for money" is the mantra that I am trying to use in my next career endeavor. I have always combined my thirst for adrenaline & my desire for adventure in employment with a small taste of travel. I am now trying to increase the travel with work & potentially reduce my travel for fun; that I have been doing to quench my gypsy thirst to wander.

Theres lots of resources on this site so feel free to research & participate in our forums.

Peace

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads