New Guy Alert

Elodin

Reaction score
Pulling out of the traditional employment system. No rent or mortgages either. Living simply is living free. Colorado based couple starting into full-time BLM boondocking. ISO new-to-us gold country, trees, 9500' altitude max, Less snow preferred. 3G/4G service preferred. 5G no bueno. Open to others travelling with our group informally as we travel and enjoy primitive while earnestly prospecting for gold in a no-trace-left-behind mindset. Current Colorado area's of interest: Canon City, Gunnison, Montrose, Rand, Silverthorne.

Last edited:
Reactions: Odin

NewMexicoJim

High mileage, good condition.
Reaction score
Welcome to STP.

I've had a little luck panning in the Gila in SW New Mexico. I'm just learning and not really hardcore about it but it is certainly exciting when you see that glint of gold in the bottom of the pan.

GPAA, Gold Prospectors of America Assn, has cheap memberships which give you access to their gold claims. They have gatherings too which I'm not really into. There is one popular claim near Hillsboro where people almost always congregate.

NM has millions of acres of public lands, BLM and USFS, tons of abandoned mines, good weather and reasonable altitude for long term existing. There are some huge strip mines in the area digging for copper, gold, silver and other minerals. I always take my pan with me when hiking and if I run across a stream, I run a few pans to see what turns up. I'm making a list for a return trip with the new sluice I ordered.

I'm pretty settled here and if you find yourself nearby, hit me up and I'll show you around.

Reactions: Elodin

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads