New Around Here

LuckyDog

Reaction score
Hey everyone. So I've been reading around the forums and articles the last few days and decided to join. I haven't been on a message board of sorts since dsl was new, flashy, and you were lucky if your town carried it.

I've been thinking a lot lately about van dwelling and hitting the road. I'm about to move from CT to Tampa, FL and I've been considering getting a conversion van and decking it out. Bust ass for a few months, drop the money into the van, hit the road. It's what I've always wanted to do anyway. If anyone knows good places to go to in Tampa for punk or hardcore shows that would be greatly appreciated.

I've been doing case management work for the homeless in my town for a couple of years and after attempting to work inside the system I have realized it doesn't work; good people sleep outside not by choice; vets die in the woods; alcoholics go to jail instead of treatment; and yet the state says "we are doing our job" (yeah right).

Not sure what I'm looking for yet. Step one is moving to Tampa; everything after that is in the air. I do have some questions I haven't seen answers specifically, but I won't ask them until the van idea is confirmed. No need to waste peoples time. Right now I'm just enjoying people sharing their stories and the positivity of people helping one another out there.

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Yay - glad you like the site - and welcome to STP!

Reactions: Kal

Kal

Reaction score
Welcome to S.T.P a very cool site, have fun and be safe.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
why tampa of all places?

LuckyDog

Reaction score
why tampa of all places?
Thanks for the greetings.

Just the next step. Have a friend who I grew up with down there and my lease is up here. Haven't really found what I'm looking for yet.

Did some traveling in my early 20s and spent my later 20s working for non profit homeless outreach. Love helping people; hate the system it's designed around.

Honestly just another overly in debt early 30s dude trying to figure it all out. Ultimately I'd love to van across the us helping people in need, hence the van idea, but I want nothing to do with the organized means I've researched on how to do that. Not looking to push religion or ideals on anyone that just needs something to eat.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads