new and unsure

snappedFingers

Reaction score
I guess this is the spot to sort of start off. I'm sid, I'm an art student but I'm feeling like life is really stale and unbearable. I'm only attending college because fasfa covered it all and I needed out of the house. I'm trying to make friends and get going, explore the world and live some sort of life, but it's hard to figure things out. I know I can't keep on this college/career path everyone expects. I know I can't live like this for much longer, at least not everyday. I'm going through some serious wanderlust or whatever they call it. I don't really have any friends or the confidence to do anything alone. Trainhopping specifically is something that's fascinated me for years, I've done tons of research and it's become an obsession over time. It seems so freeing. Does anyone have any advice for getting out there? Anything would help, I don't really expect anyone to read this but it's worth a shot.

Bibs

Reaction score
Lots of people are gonna read this bro, all messages get posted in the discord and there's like 800+ people there and even more here on the site itself.
The fact is though, we see many many messages just like yours almost daily and most folks are going to reply as dmac has which is to just direct you to the search bar, and rightfully so as many people have written the equivalent of a thesis on how to live, survive and even thrive on the road. But I personally find that kinda boring and would much rather just interact with folks, plenty of kids came down to the tower district in fuckno every summer from the burbs of Clovis to try their luck. I was annoyed sure but I always answered their dumbass questions anyway, it just feels like the right thing to do. I'm not suggesting your questions are dumb but there's only so many times I can be asked "so what do y'all eat" before I assume that's just par for the course.
I can only give you advice through the lens of my life experience and what I have observed though, and your experience may be VASTLY different from my own, but the preface aside and the real advice brought to the fore: don't just start trainhopping, go hitchhike for six months or a year and get a feel for life outside, make connections with good people and cultivate practical skills (woodworking, tailoring, shoemaking, mechanical, automotive, agricultural, industrial etc) that will be of use to you and those around you. Get a good pack and fill it with thirty pounds of rocks and walk nonstop for five hours and you'll get a pretty good indicator of the day to day, and for the record thirty pounds if considered incredibly light most folks I know have 50+ lbs of gear.
I'm sure you have considered the many advantages of this life and the level of freedom it provides, have you also considered the disadvantages? You will be cold, you will be hot, you will be hungry, you will be treated very poorly by people; many many people, you will feel hopeless, you will feel profound and gnawing sadness and loneliness, you might sustain grievous injuries to your body and mind, I don't know if you've seen anyone beaten to death with a rock before but it sticks with you, forever. Hell, you also might experience none of those things, you could very well float through your traveling life with the devil's luck so to speak, but I wouldn't count on it.
I hope you don't think I'm trying to insult or discourage you, I am merely briefly, and albeit vaguely, recounting the things that could very well have removed me from my time on the road had I not been prepared, resilient, lucky or some combination of the three, and please do not take this as a brag or a flex I am no better or more skilled or knowledgeable than anyone else, in fact I believe myself to be less so.
Big dumb rant aside just be safe, use critical thinking, don't hang out with shady people, don't talk to the police, keep to a reasonable sleep schedule and just take care of your body in general, and don't take unnecessary risks especially around fucking trains.
Also always have something to clean your ass with, you will shit your pants out here. It's not an if it's a when.
Good luck friend, may everything you attempt instantly succeed.

snappedFingers

Reaction score

hey wow thanks for the whole reply. im not very used to any sort of online forum type stuff so I don't really know how it all works yet haha. sorry if i look like a clueless fool.
but yeah, im not sure if I'm wanting to go all in 100% and take off, start new, all that just yet. I mostly just want some experience. I feel completely stuck in a world i don't want to be in and the thought of traveling like this is the only thing that makes me sort of happy anymore but there's so much going on.
Is there anyway to sort of,, get the feel of it without completely diving in head first? I get that it's a lifestyle but I guess i just want to know if there's like a starting point and if it can look different for different people. I'm not quite ready to completely peace out but I want to do whatever I can for now. I don't know if that makes any sense at all. I don't want it to sound like I just want all the good parts of it and none of the work and commitment because that's not what I mean. I just feel a little lost overall.

Reactions: somone and Bibs

Bibs

Reaction score
No worries man, and yeah just do a test run. Get a pack fill it with what you think you'll need and go stay outside for a week. Try flying a sign, spange, busk, dumpster dive for food or stuff to pawn, seek out seasonal work on farms or orchards, make jewelry to sell (this is harder to do nowadays with the advent of Etsy and what not, but then again you can just make your own Etsy), search out craigslist or Facebook jobs etc, just go and try to aquire stuff on your own basically without the help of references or conventional work. You can work a normal job too, plenty of folks do that to fund their travels and it's fine.

If after a week of doing those things in addition to figuring out a safe, emphasis on "safe" place to sleep every night, you're still enjoying yourself or some approximation of enjoyment and are relatively unharmed, unhated, and of sound mind I think it would be safe to say you have the basics down. Everything else is experience, trial and error and learning from other trustworthy people in real life.

croc

Reaction score
Hey so basically my thoughts as someone who's been riding, mostly full time and very much mostly homeless, for going on 5 years now I think if you've done a good amount of research (safe rides being #1) then pack a backpack and go. You'll figure out if u like it real fucking quick. Like homie said above be ready to be cold and hot and tired and dirty and looked down on by general society.
If you've never been homeless again u will find out real quick if it's for u. Yeah it can be freeing but it can also be oppressive and lonely and miserable and wet and exhausting. It changes u as a person, you'll be less trusting and the longer u do it the harder it is to integrate back into normal society, which most ppl who ride seriously not just college kids on vacation or graff bros looking to ride for internet clout end up retiring if they don't die on the road. If u make friends w other riders ur friends will die, mostly from OD or cirrhosis. U will meet tons of alcoholics and drug addicts. U will be propositioned for sex. U will see violence. U will feel unsafe sometimes.

If ur actually serious about doing it message me and I'll help within reason. Gotta figure out some of it on ur own bc we've put in a lot of foot work n in my opinion u should earn it before being able to get specific info from ppl. Don't mean to be a dick but I'm rly tired of sharing info w ppl who never leave home tho so plz don't waste my time.

snappedFingers

Reaction score
Hey sorry for not seeing this until now haha. Yeah I get that it's really rough and that there's times the cons outweigh the pros and all that. I get the whole earning and figuring shit out, I agree 100%. most of it seems like stuff you can be told over and over but its meaningless until you get out there and live it. cant have your hand held.
Im just kind of at a point where unless i make drastic changes im probably not going to stick around. life is work and theres always shit youve gotta put up with no matter what but id rather have it be for me instead of a fucking pharmacy. i just cant picture a future where im not off somewhere and not tied down to anything. cant live like this lol.
I guess the only thing holding me back is im alone which i feel like is worse and i have no idea where id go. i live in the worst middle of nowhere town but i'll figure it out ig. thanks for the input though, i really appreciate anything anyone has to say

Reactions: somone and croc

Opossum

Reaction score
you dont know where to go, just pick a spot anywhere in the states- could be somewhere you've always wanted to go, could be anywhere- and just get a pack on ur shoulders n start moseying over there.
few people are ever truly "stuck", if you got workin feet you can walk, you got a workin thumb you can hitch, you got a workin car, you can drive, you got a catch out spot and know whatcha doin, you can ride.

besta luck.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads