New and ready. to. travel!

PrimalCricket

Reaction score
Howdy everyone! Im glad Ive stumbled on this forum .. seems to have quite a bit of helpful information for someone like me whose still unsure of quitting the 8-4, and selling the car for the sake of travel and adventure.

For a while now, Ive been pondering some sort of long term travel. I grew up a book nerd, studying computer science and physics from 10 years old. When I turned about 16, my goals in life changed radically. My passion for modern technology and hopes of a jetsons future, died a sudden death.

I felt (and still do) like my purpose in life is about making positive change. I also wanted to live a simple poor mans life. Something told me then that I would be happier with less. So far that has proven true for the most part. Having less to me means having less to maintain, less to keep up with, and less that keeps me away from the important things in life.

So over the years (Im 24 now), Ive been somewhat happy, battling long bouts of depression. A year ago I had the best year of my life, literally since childhood. Part of that was definitely due to me getting my ass out of bed and having a jog for about a half hour every day. But for someone who is used to a sedentary lifestyle, trying to stay active is a pain in the ass.

This is part of why I feel like a nomadic lifestyle would suit me the best. I work as a front desk clerk at a motel currently, which is okay since I get to meet a variety of people from all over. But its not enough. I need something more fulfilling then the 8-4. Im ready for some adventure, something that will force me to stay active. I feel like its time in my life I test my limits. This is why I feel like a nomadic lifestyle is perfect for me. For me, being able to live life instead of watching it pass by just makes sense.

It started 3 years ago with the thought of hiking the AT, but lately Ive been thinking more large scale. Why confine myself to a thoroughly traveled trail when I can travel anywhere in the country? Hell, if I had the balls, Id even try traveling between continents.

Recently, Ive accustomed myself to finding food in dumpsters, but am still not confident I can make this lifestyle work. Id like to be able to roam in the woods if I like, or go into town and hitchhike if I want. I dont feel like I have the skills yet to be successful at making this a permanent change.

For the past week, Ive been camping with my friend at a local campground, trying to test the waters a little. Its been okay, but having a car and the money to get what I need, I havent pushed myself really at all. I did get to fire up my portable wood burning stove a few nights ago, which was a start at something.

Im looking to learn how to sustain myself physically and mentally. Im very open to ideas, and am not too worried with whats "allowed by law". If I want to fish, hunt, or forage my food, I have the god given right to, so I will. If I see food thats being thrown out and Im hungry, Im going to eat it so it doesnt go to waste. Trying to get an appetite for bugs, since I can find em anywhere.

Writing this short book makes me feel like a total newb, but gotta start somewhere, right?

Reaction score
I personally use the just fucking go for it mantra. I was a junior at a private college in western NC when I left babylon with my now husband. We rubber tramped (traveling by car) and it wasn't so bad. It was amazing actually. Once we lost the car and carries our homes on our back, we learned more about ourself than we thought would be possible. Stick out your thumb if you really wanna grow. But. That's just my method. Balls to the wall, total faith in the universe and the plan that was written in the stardust before the Big Bang.
Bottom line ::
"No man is brave that has never walked a hundred miles. If you want to know the truth of who you are, walk until not a person knows your name. Travel is the great leveler, the great teacher, bitter as medicine, crueler than mirror-glass. A long stretch of road will teach you more about yourself than a hundred years of disgust." -Patrick Rothfuss

Xoxo

Reactions: PrimalCricket

kecleon

Reaction score
It's pretty scary to give up everything to search for something that could be nothing. But if you don't do it now when will you. Can you forget about it would it haunt you. Things often fall into place in the weirdest ways.

PrimalCricket

Reaction score
Thanks yall for the encouragement! A lifestyle change like this is a pretty big deal, something that I definitely want to experience, at least to give it my best shot. Really hoping I can make this a permanent change though. Its something that Id usually give a lot of forethought and planning.

Did yall just hit the road when you had the itch bad enough, or did yall prep for it at all?

Charlie

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I jumped in as prepared as I could be, which was not very well prepared. I stepped out and began practicing with mini trips. Then I jumped in as prepared as I could be again. I stepped out again and practiced more, then jumped back in again. Now, I'm getting the most intense practice I could get (college, self education, building awesome hobo career), and when I jump in next time, I'll be the most prepared I've ever been and then I'll be in for a trip (I expect to travel around and possibly out of USA in the winter).

Keep up the good work, you'll get the hang of it in due time. Don't burn your bridges, it's a bigger transition for some more than for others.

PrimalCricket

Reaction score
Haha looks like it differs radically between different people. Guess I shouldnt expect an answer on a silver platter .. life doesnt and shouldnt work like that :)

Cant burn bridges though, since I havent done this yet, so need a fallback plan. Although northwestnomad, I like your philosophy. Youve got some nice big bulls balls to live that.

D

Deleted member 7149

Howdy everyone! Im glad Ive stumbled on this forum .. seems to have quite a bit of helpful information for someone like me whose still unsure of quitting the 8-4, and selling the car for the sake of travel and adventure.

For a while now, Ive been pondering some sort of long term travel. I grew up a book nerd, studying computer science and physics from 10 years old. When I turned about 16, my goals in life changed radically. My passion for modern technology and hopes of a jetsons future, died a sudden death.

I felt (and still do) like my purpose in life is about making positive change. I also wanted to live a simple poor mans life. Something told me then that I would be happier with less. So far that has proven true for the most part. Having less to me means having less to maintain, less to keep up with, and less that keeps me away from the important things in life.

So over the years (Im 24 now), Ive been somewhat happy, battling long bouts of depression. A year ago I had the best year of my life, literally since childhood. Part of that was definitely due to me getting my ass out of bed and having a jog for about a half hour every day. But for someone who is used to a sedentary lifestyle, trying to stay active is a pain in the ass.

This is part of why I feel like a nomadic lifestyle would suit me the best. I work as a front desk clerk at a motel currently, which is okay since I get to meet a variety of people from all over. But its not enough. I need something more fulfilling then the 8-4. Im ready for some adventure, something that will force me to stay active. I feel like its time in my life I test my limits. This is why I feel like a nomadic lifestyle is perfect for me. For me, being able to live life instead of watching it pass by just makes sense.

It started 3 years ago with the thought of hiking the AT, but lately Ive been thinking more large scale. Why confine myself to a thoroughly traveled trail when I can travel anywhere in the country? Hell, if I had the balls, Id even try traveling between continents.

Recently, Ive accustomed myself to finding food in dumpsters, but am still not confident I can make this lifestyle work. Id like to be able to roam in the woods if I like, or go into town and hitchhike if I want. I dont feel like I have the skills yet to be successful at making this a permanent change.

For the past week, Ive been camping with my friend at a local campground, trying to test the waters a little. Its been okay, but having a car and the money to get what I need, I havent pushed myself really at all. I did get to fire up my portable wood burning stove a few nights ago, which was a start at something.

Im looking to learn how to sustain myself physically and mentally. Im very open to ideas, and am not too worried with whats "allowed by law". If I want to fish, hunt, or forage my food, I have the god given right to, so I will. If I see food thats being thrown out and Im hungry, Im going to eat it so it doesnt go to waste. Trying to get an appetite for bugs, since I can find em anywhere.

Writing this short book makes me feel like a total newb, but gotta start somewhere, right?
Welcome to the site bro! Your story sounds a little similar to mine. I've been stuck in a rut and itching to travel again. Good luck in your travels.

alexajessuson

Reaction score
I quit my job and in an hour and a half packed my car and left to set out on my second journey super unprepared. Everything I needed practically dropped into my lap when I really needed it. Manifest the things you want. Expect good things from your travels and you will find nothing but good. I hope all goes well. :)

Sip

Reaction score
Honestly, the only thing you really lose out on if it doesn't work out is your comfortable life for a period of a month or so. Your family, if you have one, will still be your family, most of your friends will welcome you back with open arms. Worst case scenario, it doesn't work out and you have to camp next to where you work (get a job with a temp service to start) for a few weeks, live in a crappy motel for a bit after your first paycheck until you can get areal place. Yes, it is hard, no, it won't kill you. Really, if you can get the beginnings of your old life back in 30-ish days, you aren't risking much.

On the other hand, you could keep going through life without chasing your dream, constantly feeling like your current life is something close to a sham and wondering what you're doing.

In answer to your actual question, I researched for like a year before some bragging I did forced me to hitch cross-state. Since then its the only thing that feels real to me and every moment is just a countdown to when I can next get on the road.

PrimalCricket

Reaction score
Thats a very valid point youve got sip! Yesterday I put in my two weeks notice to my job, and as long as I have all the loose ends tied up, Im lookin to book out on the 27th of this month. Pretty excited, but nervous as hell. Its something I feel will make me happy long term, but its makin the leap. Im ready tho :)

PrimalCricket

Reaction score
And its funny how much I notice now how unhappy people seem with their life. When I walk into any store around here, Im starting to notice how miserable people look - even career type jobs.

Now its not everyone, of course, but seems like most people are just sheep following the herd, souls that have long been dead

Sip

Reaction score
That's how it is in most places, with a lot of people. We used to live in a world of magic... or at least it seemed magical to us. There were places off the map where no one had ever been. There were mysteries and things everyone tried to understand. There were revolutions, and great men reaching for the stars. Now we've lost all that. Defined our world and put it all in a box. A shiny box. With everything planned out a month in advance. Put ourselves in little boxes as well, when we were meant to have variety in life. Our brains are wired to deal with constantly changing circumstances, because that is what humanity has had for the last 10,000 to 7000yrs (when the nations of Egypt and china ect emerged and 'civilization' got started), change. Unknown. New things happening. Now we don't have that, so we invent our own problems, create social drama to avoid boredom and repetition, and get miserable. Some of us realize this and bail, and others of us make 10,000,000$ and live in a different hotel each night. Having a home can be a fine thing, having the machine life is not. And this is what the world has given us.

Reactions: Ristoncor

PrimalCricket

Reaction score
Weve got a pretty identical view on the world, past and present, it seems.

If you like to read, Id highly recommend the book Ishmael by Daniel Quinn. Everyone here that enjoys a good book outta check it out. Its a philosophical novel with a great story! Won the prestigious Turner Tomorrow Fellowship Award for offering a solution to current global problems. Sad that it meant that the rights to the book would be given to Discovery.

Sip

Reaction score
I love to read. Thanks for the book recommendation. I'll definitely check it out. It'll be nice to have something between physics books and the cheap adventure novels I'm addicted to. I was looking at books on global change the other day at B&N and it seems like a lot of people report the facts but don't have very good answers on how to change them.

Charlie

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
It's not all joy and bliss to be on the road. There is a lot of fun to be had, but you may find yourself in quite a few dilemmas, maybe not, I don't know. If you expect that travelling will solve all of your problems, well maybe it will, but not in the way that you imagine, and maybe it won't. I went out travelling and realized that I wasn't addressing my problems at all, and that my problems were getting in my way more on the road than at home, and I was able to identify the source of my problems. Then I realized that I needed to go home and try to solve my problems there. Well, if I had not returned home at that point, I don't know what would have happened, but I think I would be infinitely more confused than I am now.

Now I don't see much of a difference between being on the road, and being at home. I've met people who differentiate strongly between the two. Hippies call me a yuppy, and yuppies call me a hippy, this isn't based on reality, this is based on biased perception of reality. Whether I'm working a job or wandering the street, I'm experiencing very similar events in both scenarios. I too notice that many people seem miserable, but I know it's not the circumstances that surround them that make this happen, it's a problem internal.

Bring a good book with you while you're on the road. As long as people have the ability to learn and to exercise their memory, they should do so often.

PrimalCricket

Reaction score
.. or whatever it means to whoever. To me though, its a means of leaving behind a life of complete dullness, a place that lacks life for the soul.

To each their own .. everyones life experience is different

Reactions: Sip

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads