National Geographic:Yukon Pass

S

Seldom Seen Smith

51Z6N3T5JXL._SS500_.jpg

From Amazon.com
Four men brave the elements in Northwest Canada and Alaska to make an 1,800-mile trek on foot, skis, and by log raft and dogsled to retrace the trail taken by 10,000 people through the Yukon Passage in 1898. Sounds exhilarating. While the trip is intriguing, you never feel like you get to know these four wanderers who've undertaken a journey that demands they perform such superhuman stunts as spend days in the forest chopping down 20 trees to build a raftlike sailboat. Amazingly, the inherent drama of the trip doesn't translate into the gripping footage usually associated with a National Geographic production. Often, it feels a little staged, like when a story is read aloud for the cameras or the guys interview a modern pioneer. An entertaining history lesson about the Yukon gold rush is woven in, though, made all the more listenable by the golden narration of Jimmy Stewart. --Valerie J. Nelson

Video Details
Narrator Jimmy Stewart takes you on a wild adventure through the frozen reaches of Canada and Alaska. Journey back in time with four courageous young men who set out on a danger-filled trip inspired by the hardship and romance of the men and women lured by the Gold Rush of 1898. The four adventurers face the desolation and biting cold of the Arctic Circle and brave the roaring rapids of the Yukon River as they travel 1,800 miles on foot, skis, log raft and dogsled.

Has anyone else ever seen this? This is probably one of the best movies I have ever seen outside of Dick Proenneke's Alone In the Wilderness. Well I have managed to find it on Youtube so I figured I would post it. Either watch it or download it and watch it later because I don't know how long it will be up. I will post the links below. Its in 6 parts.

Part 1/6: Part 2/6: Part 3/6: Part 4/6: Part 5/6: Part 6/6:
ENJOY!!!!

S

Seldom Seen Smith

Nope, haven't seen that one although I need to because I try and watch any documentary or movie on Alaska. I love it up there but winter really got to me. Its one of the toughest places.... no, no, I mean it is THE toughest place I have ever lived. As one of my friends said:

"Alaska is a place where you get to test yourself every day. Real men and real women raising real tough kids who can kick butt and not make excuses. No sissies, no whiners, no whimps, no losers. Grit iron tough Americanos..."

I couldn't agree more with him.

S

Seldom Seen Smith

I lived up there with a good friend of mine who is still there. I only stayed 1 year and came back to the lower 48 for a family/personal issue that needed to be dealt with and never went back. I enjoyed my time up there but as noted it was not easy living in Alaska.

You are right there are some crazy ass people in Alaska, and the problems extend further than it just being cold. The place I lived at had problems with alcohol and methamphetamine. One guy I worked with committed suicide which as you know is also a problem up there. The pot is great and the laws concerning it are quite lenient considering all things. I had an acquaintance with a med card and his stuff would just blow me away. The animals were a problem and locking your trash up is a must as you probably know too. I have dealt with bears my whole life but I never seen bears as big as I did when in Alaska, nor have I seen so many in such a period of time.

I am glad I got to spend the time I did up there. I will probably never move back since I have situated myself down here again, but I will have to visit in the future. It was truly a great experience and I learned a lot about myself.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads