My Second Go, My First Hello | Squat the Planet

My Second Go, My First Hello

LyamCass

Reaction score
Long-time lurker here.

I got directed to this website after catching my first steel snake from Baton Rouge to NOLA via KCS yard. Don't know the exact name, but my hop point was South of the yard under the track overpass next to I-10. I had absolutely ZERO experience at the time, but was pretty hard up for a small adventure to see my buddy.

After leaving my friends apartment, I spotted a main line and followed it along the river towards downtown. I had initially planned to take this route, but after talking to the local bums they directed me towards the yard I eventually caught out of. I was ecstatic about the whole situation even though it was dark and lurkers were posted everywhere. I ended up waiting about 6 hours in total. I kept thinking the train was about to leave, but it kept backing in and building up(definitely a greenie, haha).

In short, it opened my eyes to a lot and the following weeks left a lot in my mind to think about. I too, hate having to work 9-5 jobs but in no way do I feel 'desperate'. I just fell in love with the lifestyle and want to give it a go for a longer period of time.

Sure, I'm definitely green as hell, but I'm the type of greenie to research on my own and accept small bits of input if needed....not BEG tirelessly about 'CCG' this and that. So, I hope I'm welcome and will be able to share experiences with you guys/gals down the line.

As of now, I have about $200 saved up, decent second hand gear and quite some energy and determination to make it out west. I've studied the maps and started on the codes(confusing as hell sometimes). Like some of you mentioned I think my safest bet is taking the sand line so I'll prob catch out of Avondale(UP?)

Anyway that's it for now!

FUN FACT:
I absolutely love cooking

HOBBIES:
Reading (Sun Also Rises is fave)
Learning new languages
Being in my head alot

DESTINATION HIT LIST:
Austin
San Antonio
Zion National Park (solely for the narrows)
Arches NP
Yuma Valley
LA(But not for long)
SF
Astoria

PatAW

Reaction score
Long-time lurker here.

I got directed to this website after catching my first steel snake from Baton Rouge to NOLA via KCS yard. Don't know the exact name, but my hop point was South of the yard under the track overpass next to I-10. I had absolutely ZERO experience at the time, but was pretty hard up for a small adventure to see my buddy.

After leaving my friends apartment, I spotted a main line and followed it along the river towards downtown. I had initially planned to take this route, but after talking to the local bums they directed me towards the yard I eventually caught out of. I was ecstatic about the whole situation even though it was dark and lurkers were posted everywhere. I ended up waiting about 6 hours in total. I kept thinking the train was about to leave, but it kept backing in and building up(definitely a greenie, haha).

In short, it opened my eyes to a lot and the following weeks left a lot in my mind to think about. I too, hate having to work 9-5 jobs but in no way do I feel 'desperate'. I just fell in love with the lifestyle and want to give it a go for a longer period of time.

Sure, I'm definitely green as hell, but I'm the type of greenie to research on my own and accept small bits of input if needed....not BEG tirelessly about 'CCG' this and that. So, I hope I'm welcome and will be able to share experiences with you guys/gals down the line.

As of now, I have about $200 saved up, decent second hand gear and quite some energy and determination to make it out west. I've studied the maps and started on the codes(confusing as hell sometimes). Like some of you mentioned I think my safest bet is taking the sand line so I'll prob catch out of Avondale(UP?)

Anyway that's it for now!

FUN FACT:
I absolutely love cooking

HOBBIES:
Reading (Sun Also Rises is fave)
Learning new languages
Being in my head alot

DESTINATION HIT LIST:
Austin
San Antonio
Zion National Park (solely for the narrows)
Arches NP
Yuma Valley
LA(But not for long)
SF
Astoria

SF (but not for long) hit Santa Cruz

Reactions: LyamCass

PatAW

Reaction score
I guess it depends on how you travel it. For me it had a lot of hills to walk up and with having a pack on your back really sucks I mean San Fran has a lot of damn hills lol Lots of Drugs. No good vibes. Heaight Ashbury St does have a kick ass Market with a bunch of good organic foods tho. It was not for me but I'm not everyone.

Reactions: LyamCass

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I guess it depends on how you travel it. For me it had a lot of hills to walk up and with having a pack on your back really sucks I mean San Fran has a lot of damn hills lol Lots of Drugs. No good vibes. Heaight Ashbury St does have a kick ass Market with a bunch of good organic foods tho. It was not for me but I'm not everyone.

i agree, SF seems really tramped out. it's worth seeing once but don't spend more than a few days there, and try to avoid all the junkies. oakland has a cool community but that's on the other side of the bay and it's a chore to get around on foot.

Reactions: LyamCass and PatAW

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads