My hip hurts. | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

My hip hurts.

• Thread starter Deleted member 24782
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 24782

But seriously my hip is killing me, I can't get any work done like this and my wife doesn't seem to really care. She left for "work" to make "money"...pfff who the fuck needs that when were SQUATTING THE PLANET!!!!!

.....help

• Best of Luck!
Reactions: Juan Derlust

MFB

Reaction score
Muscle pain or joint pain?
If the former
find a tennis ball, lay on your side with the tennis ball under you on the ground, roll around on it with your ass and with it put pressure on all your glute muscles and attachments around your greater trochanter and sacrum.

Then google piriformis stretches and do them
Then Ice it for as long as you can stand.
Then have a few beers.

Take two of these and call me in the mornins.

coltsfoot

Reaction score
But seriously my hip is killing me, I can't get any work done like this and my wife doesn't seem to really care. She left for "work" to make "money"...pfff who the fuck needs that when were SQUATTING THE PLANET!!!!!

.....help

Hey I hear ya. I was a stone worker for a few years. I think what got me was having times of not working at all and then going right into working very hard with real heavy/large stone without having first built all the supportive muscles to lift in a way that wasn't damaging. We worked pretty hard at lifting things "the right way" but it's still a hell of an impact when it's day in day out. Anyway, I gotta take it easy now cuz of my hip.

When I go on long hikes, especially in rough terrain, now i use trekking poles or at least a walking stick but the 2 poles seems to be more effective. The main thing i had to do was stop doing stone work which really sucked. too inflamed. i still have to lift heavy things here and there but i always try to lift things with a buddy even if i could get it myself just to go easy on my body. when i have some cash together or get some clutch healthcare im gonna try to see a combined chiropractor-physiologist to help me get back in line. there's def some good muscle building/supportive excercises that you can do for this kinda thing but it obviously depends on the underlying condition. but yea the best thing i could do was stop lifting heavy shit.

A word of caution. A close friend hiked the AT years ago at the age of around 19. his hip became inflamed on the trail but he said fuckit, took a bunch of ibuprofen on the daily and smoked plenty of weed and went on with it. He's in his mid 20's now and has a permanent limp, cant lift one of his legs over even a couple foot obstacle and eventually will most likely need a hip replacement. If he chilled when things started to not feel so good he never would have done that damage. That wasn't about old age, it was about not listening to his body.

I wish you luck big time, and wouldn't mind hearing how things go for you if you care to update

• Love It
D

Deleted member 24782

Muscle pain or joint pain?
If the former
find a tennis ball, lay on your side with the tennis ball under you on the ground, roll around on it with your ass and with it put pressure on all your glute muscles and attachments around your greater trochanter and sacrum.

Then google piriformis stretches and do them
Then Ice it for as long as you can stand.
Then have a few beers.

Take two of these and call me in the mornins.

Still can't find the tennis ball, I know it's around here somewhere I was playing fetch with it yesterday. It is 20 acres after all...

• Haha

MFB

Reaction score
@Juan Derlust Hey noooowwww!!!
I thought it was pretty darn cool.
I would totally be supportive of you if you ever did anything productive!

• Best of Luck!

LuckyMinnie

Reaction score
So I turned 35 yesterday, and my hip is enflamed. So, is this what it's like to get old or do I just need to stop trying to lift things that are 10 times my body weight? I'm asking you "old guys" ---> @MFB, @Juan Derlust, & @Older Than Dirt ??

And @Brodiesel710's in 3rd place!!! Watch out!
I'm a middled aged woman, not an old guy. I know you weren't asking me, but I thought maybe I could help. I wore leg braces as a toddler, and have lived with hip pain my whole life. Around a year ago, the pain became almost non-existent. I have some stretching and exercise videos made by personal trainers, physical therapists and chiropractors to thank for this. There's a lot of them on YouTube. Here's the ones that I found to be most useful. 1. Hip Mobility for Athletes (Follow Along Routine) from the Strength Side channel. 2. 4 Easy Steps to Hip Pain Relief from the Exercise for Injuries channel. 3. Hip Bursitis Stretches & Exercises-Ask Doctor Jo from the Ask Doctor Jo channel. I hope you feel better soon.

MFB

Reaction score
Choadie Brodie,

This has not been mentioned

it may be prudent to look into you footwear.

Nature dictated we have this beautiful and intricate combination of arches, bones, ligaments, muscles and tendons in our feet. Much more complicated than any other part of our musculo-skeletal system.

Sometimes when we wear maximum support type shoes like boots our feet atrophy and this will cause imbalances further up in the knees or hips.
It's common for athletes to do barefoot sprint repeats in a field. Strengthens all those intrinsic muscle of the foot. Watch them toes splay!

Try and be barefoot whenever you can.

• Useful

NewMexicoJim

High mileage, good condition.
Reaction score
63 and still not dead although by all rights I should be. What can I say? Life happens. Age is a gift to be cherished, as painful as it is. I think Hunter S. Thomson put it best when he said “Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ,Wow! "

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Last gig I had I was still lifting heavy stuff... sheet metal... particle board...lifting and setting up metal girders for storage racks four levels high!!!! bastards!!!! ... haha... whatever... I'm one of those guys that at jobs when the "smart" boss who is organizing everything needs something strenuous to do... they like... yea yea you over there help out for a sec... "facepalm"...

whatever deff not as easy as in my prime of late teens early twenties when I was in the service...
which I never was a top tier athlete either... just sturdy I guess...

no joint hip pain mostly my problem is being short of breath sometimes... I need to get back into boot camp shape to lose that I hope. I don't really smoke ciggs anymore which is good and does help... but I don't like dusty air or humidity or extreme cold anymore... though I deal with all when I have to . .

pissing at night... I drink like a damned sailor on the jolly roger... so I piss like a racehorse after a few strong beers.

I really need to take better care of myself.

I really want to start being gentile with myself... lol... like get a job at a tiki bar on the beach Jooo!!!!

• Love It

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads