My hip hurts. | Squat the Planet

My hip hurts.

• Thread starter Deleted member 24782
  • Start date

MFB

Reaction score
At 39 I am still able to do amazing things with my body, everything I could do 10 years ago, however muscle soreness and joint pain last longer. Recovery is longer. I do believe the decline started righ around your age.

Im an anatomy and health nerd, and a believe in a lot of "balancing of mind body spirt" hippy dippy shit. So I think its important be really proactive so ya can still be fit and fuck good when your old.

Check your diet, Im 90% vegan (in betweegan) because my knees hurt way less and I feel way better when I stick to that diet. So be cogniznant of what diet your body functions best on. I do yoga (not a class) and range of motion stuff if Im just hanging out bored. Keep your joints moving and lubricated. I also pray and meditate a lot, which may sound lame, but if you can elecit a relaxation response youll function at a higher capacity regularly. Lots of good naturopathy supplements if you are feeling wonky in a specific area.

In short, become a Portlandia character and you live long and healthy.

Older Than Dirt

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Generally, after about 40, shit takes longer to recover from, and your lower back will start to hurt if you have done much physical labor in your life. You will be able to remember all your more serious injuries easily, because they give you a little twinge now and then.

So far that's about it [pauses and knocks wood]. i haven't had any health problems at all, except i am more prone to saddle-sores from cycling. I think this is because my black pubic hair was replaced with mostly grey ones [yes this happens], and they are much stiffer and much longer than the old version. So i have to give my balls and taint a #2 [skinhead haircut] before cycling, and keep plenty of hydrocortisone ointment on hand.

I cycle and do tai chi year round, and do a lot of landscaping/gardening work in warm months, but have never in my life engaged in any kind of voluntary exercise that i did not get paid for, until i bought property. i eat what tastes good, and haven't seen a doctor (except for this infection i got after i wore dress shoes with a broken toe) in 11 years. There are times when i will go like an entire hour without thinking of sex, which never happened til maybe my mid-50s.

So i have to say, getting older really isn't that bad so far. Most of my friends are dead, from drugs, alcohol, and murder, and that sucks (and now they're statring to go from old people shit). I have high hopes for a couple of my older enemies dropping dead with this COVID-19 shit, and regularly google their names with obituary, but so far no luck.

Last edited:

MFB

Reaction score
@Brodiesel710
another thing that happens around your age that wasnt an issue in my youth; I never make it through a night without having to get up to peee at least twice which is double annoying bc youre tired and gotta go, but then have to stand there a long time to get going and bc your stream is old and weak it takes forever to come out.

• Agree
Reactions: Juan Derlust

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
i'm 40 so where does that put me in this conga line?

MFB

Reaction score
A lot of amazing athletes(Roger Federer, Tom Brady, Lebron) will push well into thier 40s

Also, You seem like a tough dood, @Brodiesel710. In regards to physicality it pays to know how to get your ass kicked. Cant be understated.
And that comes as you get older.

This happened for me when I was 36 (and got me a lot of cool free gear!)
with a field stacked with doods younger and fitter than me
But I was willing to suffer more in the last 10k than they. ($500 1st place prize, yo!)

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
(in betweegan)

Totally going to be using that one.

I just turned 32, at 31 I started to get issues with gout. GOUT. Either I'm a gluttonous saxon king, or I drink too much. Could be either.

I have noticed that my diet has been severely impacting my health over the past few years. I recently quit smoking (last cig was about 2 months ago, minus the few drags of a clove @Eng JR Lupo RV323 ) and that has helped immensely. I can smell again, I can breathe, and my lung capacity is slowly increasing.

I need to cut back with the alcohol. That shit is killin' me. I cut back on the hard liquor alot, and I haven't had a gout attack for a while because of it. I'm not sure if anyone has experience with that, but it is debilitating. Some times for days you can barely move, constant throbbing pain in joints (big toe, ankle, knee, or wrist).

I've also been gaining alot of weight, which is the same thing that happens to both of my brothers around the same age, so I need to keep exercising (push ups, sit ups, burpees) to burn it off. Man tits, I swear to god, are the most self-confidence crushing attribute of this whole thing 🤣.

Still can fight fire. Still can haul a 45 lb. Pack with a chainsaw and dolmar up steep hills. But ya, I'm starting to watch the 20 year olds run laps around me....and I'm getting better at being ok with that. I've stopped trying to believe in the notion that I can keep up with much younger firefighters.

Jimmy Beans

Bad Order Hoghead
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I would have included you in my shoutout but the others I have heard identify as being "old" !!
Oh make mistake about it, I identify as being old. A friend literally just asked me about a half an hour ago "how is it you go to bed at like midnight and you're up for the day by 5am?" Because I'm a fucking geriatric, that's why. Quite possibly one of the only positive things I've observed from getting old. I don't seem to require as much rest.

As far as pain and recovery though, yeah dude. I remember scrubbing hard often as a kid and just springing right up. I randomly fell out the shower a few years back and that shit took me out for like 4 days.

I broke my fibula exactly the same as @Koala. It took her what? A few months to be pretty much entirely healed up? I broke my shit in 2015 and it still ain't 100%. I wasn't even walking for like 6 months. Aging is brutal.

Older Than Dirt

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, the waking up to piss thing is definitely some old man shit. And i do go to sleep early, and wake up at dawn (because i have to piss).

But i am still able to drink all night on the rare occasions someone else wants to.

Just did my morning obituary check, my enemies persist in obstinately failing to die yet.

Jimmy Beans

Bad Order Hoghead
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I wake up every morning kind of surprised. Like I really do think many nights I just won't wake up in the morning. That sounds crazy probably, coming from a 44 year old but if you've ever heard me sleep it makes a little sense. I basically have some sort of sleep apnea that's unchecked. Add to that I sleep like I'm in hibernation, hard af(slept through a home invasion once, real shit).

I feel fortunate I haven't gotten that dick trickle yet though. It comes out like a race horse every time I piss.

MFB

Reaction score
I feel fortunate I haven't gotten that dick trickle yet though. It comes out like a race horse every time I piss.

Good on ya brother. Not too long ago I was peeing next to my friends 4 yo son;
I felt oddly emasculated by the fact that his stream could have shot birds of a wire and mine barely cleared my shoes.

Anyone (male) have a brother that they played GHOSTBUSTERS with while sharing the toilet peeing? DONT CROSS THE STREAMS!
I did. ahhhh. Youth.

• Best of Luck!
Reactions: Juan Derlust

Jimmy Beans

Bad Order Hoghead
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Good on ya brother. Not too long ago I was peeing next to my friends 4 yo son;
I felt oddly emasculated by the fact that his stream could have shot birds of a wire and mine barely cleared my shoes.

Anyone (male) have a brother that they played GHOSTBUSTERS with while sharing the toilet peeing? DONT CROSS THE STREAMS!
I did. ahhhh. Youth.
I had a stepdad who always wanted to "sword fight" as he called it. Looking back I'm wondering if that was a bit weird or not. Not banging dongs against each other but you know, pissing in the same bowl, streams of piss being the "swords". It seemed harmless at the time but yeah idk.. he was what, mid thirties I was maybe 28 years old? Nah, lol. I was maybe 7, still seemed a bit old for such a challenge.

• Haha
Reactions: MFB

MFB

Reaction score
I had a stepdad who always wanted to "sword fight" as he called it. Looking back I'm wondering if that was a bit weird or not. Not banging dongs against each other but you know, pissing in the same bowl, streams of piss being the "swords". It seemed harmless at the time but yeah idk.. he was what, mid thirties I was maybe 28 years old? Nah, lol. I was maybe 7, still seemed a bit old for such a challenge.

Im not critisizing your post and I understand why these worries exist (we were all molested, right?)
just musing

But I really dislike how we live in a world where being silly and sweet in an inocuous manner with kiddos is now always questioned as creepy or wierd. Ya cant even try and make a child laugh by making silly faces at them without being a perv!
Bill Burr has a good bit on this; How he loves kids and wants to be goofy with them but bc of social rigities he tells them to fuck off.

Jimmy Beans

Bad Order Hoghead
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Im not critisizing your post and I understand why these worries exist (we were all molested, right?)
just musing

But I really dislike how we live in a world where being silly and sweet in an inocuous manner with kiddos is now always questioned as creepy or wierd. Ya cant even try and make a child laugh by making silly faces at them without being a perv!
Bill Burr has a good bit on this; How he loves kids and wants to be goofy with them but bc of social rigities he tells them to fuck off.
I'm super familiar with the Bill Burr bit. It's so on point. "Get that fucking thing away from me!". You're absolutely right. I guess for me, I feel like being able to make silly faces and such, yeah.. that's gotten weird. You can't even interact with a child at all if you don't know them/the parents. You're seen as a weirdo. That's really unfortunate, I wonder what the long term results will be. Where every child grows up observing all men they don't know being overly aloof/distant.

I guess I only half-heartedly questioned the potential weirdness of my scenario because both our dicks were out and idk.. 3-4 years old seems perfectly normal for pissing together maybe.. 7 felt a little much. Also, not to get into a huge story or anything but that dude was a fucking maniac. It would take me hours and hours to even scratch the surface breaking that guy down.

I'll just leave a tidbit to paint a picture. I have a memory of seeing his dogs head sticking out of the ground in the backyard for about 3-4 days in a row. He dug a hole and buried his dog's entire body up to it's neck and left it there for days and nights on end. We were all traumatized but he told us if we unburied her we'd be out there buried to our necks with her.

She basically dug under the fence, that was his version of punishment. I swear that guy must have sat for hours each day just thinking up weird ways to punish people/animals. He also ran over a cat once and brought it home and slammed it down on the dinner table while we were all eating and screamed "see what you made me do!" At my mom. He was... Different.

MFB

Reaction score
That's really unfortunate, I wonder what the long term results will be. Where every child grows up observing all men they don't know being overly aloof/distant.
Thats an interesting result to ponder. I dont care, Ima be silly and goofy w kids. I like to coach at the YMCA bc it makes me feel good about myself. Im always wasslin' around with them and goofin on them. The kids and parents love me.They do make you take a lot of clasees and bc some sad stuff that happened with a swim instructor and a student 2 years ago you can never be alone with one child. They have a sports director that has to go to all the practices so it's never you alone w the kiddos. Always 2 adults.

@Eng JR Lupo RV323 Thats a fucked story dood. Im really sorry ya had to go through that. You just dont fuck with dogs or kids. Im not a violent person, but if your step dad is still alive and you want to find him and bury HIM up to his neck for 3 days, I would gladly help you. :)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads