Photos My first truck (and soon-to-be home)

Rowan

Reaction score
Website
www.rowanwoodcockart.com
A few weeks back I started looking for a vehicle and had just proclaimed yesterday that I was sick and tired of combing through trucks and vans on craigslist.
And then in a halfhearted late night search I come across this nice '95 Silverado and figure I might as well text the guy. He answered back within the hour and said to come check it out. So within 24 hours I am back with the biggest vehicle I've ever driven and the first I've ever owned and I can't wait for what tomorrow will bring.
I'm especially excited because the back is big enough to either old a cab over camper (checking out an old one this weekend that I can get for nothing) or I can just keep the cap on and live out of the back. This is exactly what I wanted and I'm so excited to make it my home.
chevy chase 01.png
chevy chase 02.png
chevy chase 03.png
chevy chase 04.png
chevy chase 06.png
chevy chase 08.png

East

Reaction score
Looks like there's plenty of room to sleep under the existing camper shell if you go that route. A slide in camper would be cool as well but would draw a little more attention. Nice find!

Reactions: Rowan

Rowan

Reaction score
Website
www.rowanwoodcockart.com
Looks like there's plenty of room to sleep under the existing camper shell if you go that route. A slide in camper would be cool as well but would draw a little more attention. Nice find!
My thoughts exactly.
The camper is an old '74 El Dorado that's been sitting in the woods for about a decade. It recently had new floors put in but aside from that not much maintenance has been done. It needs a fair amount of work (mostly cleaning, replacing some stuff, etc.) but it has a bathroom, kitchen, dinette, storage, and bed and I can get it for free so I figure there's no harm in looking at it.
I am a fan of the stealthy route, though. I'd rather not be bothered (and a camper is a lot to lug around too). The bed is 8 ft. long so it's definitely big enough to live in as is.

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Nice.
Clean looking ride.
I like that camper top as it is.
Stealthy but with enough room to sleep.
Just have to be mindful of your surroundings when you park and crawl in to sleep.
It's also nice to have all that room in a pickup truck engine bay to do regular maintenance.
Nice buy.

Parker Free

Reaction score
Website
coffeewitholiver.com
Wow, nice find! It's tempting to go with a free camper, but having lived in one for a couple years, I gotta say they are usually rotted out in some (or many) places, with accompanying insects/spiders/rodents. Especially if it's been in the woods. I'd stick with the great topper you already have. (A little jealous, in fact, lol)

Reactions: Durp and Rowan

Parker Free

Reaction score
Website
coffeewitholiver.com
Yeah, there is that, the possibility of scavenging the camper for useful bits. If there's anything nice in there you could make a few bucks even, on CL. Hmm. I have a camper you can have...lol but you already know it has rotted bits :) There are useful bits in there too, though!

Dmac

Reaction score
good deal. hope the cab-over is worth taking, it will let you do more than just the shell. good luck!

Reactions: Rowan

milkhauler

Reaction score
Keep that shell. Thats more stealthy, and says Im just passing through.

Good ol dependable small block chevy. Parts are super cheap and there is plenty of room under the hood. Get a haynes repair manual and a cheap set of harbor frieght tools. I'd insulate that and get lost in the Idaho mtns. Cool trk
I have a 94 Blazer 4.3 V6n but its basically a 350 minus 2 cylinders. Knock on wood, its been the most balls out reliable vehicle I have ever owned.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Useful
Reactions: Odin and Rowan

Rowan

Reaction score
Website
www.rowanwoodcockart.com
Keep that shell. Thats more stealthy, and says Im just passing through.

Good ol dependable small block chevy. Parts are super cheap and there is plenty of room under the hood. Get a haynes repair manual and a cheap set of harbor frieght tools. I'd insulate that and get lost in the Idaho mtns. Cool trk
I have a 94 Blazer 4.3 V6n but its basically a 350 minus 2 cylinders. Knock on wood, its been the most balls out reliable vehicle I have ever owned.
Thanks for the recommendations!
I'm not a very car savvy person and definitely want to take this opportunity to learn more about repairing my own vehicle (unless it's something I absolutely can't do myself) and now I know what to start looking for.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Jaguwar

Rowan

Reaction score
Website
www.rowanwoodcockart.com
Brought it back from the mechanic today.
Needs more work that I would like but less than I'd imagined so all in all I'm really happy I got it.
Some of the work can be done by me so I'm excited for this opportunity to learn more about taking care of a truck.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads