My adventure begins! | Squat the Planet

My adventure begins!

Dr electron

Reaction score
Hello all. If all goes as planned I'm starting out on a cross country (Virginia to Washington state) journey next weekend. The real challenge is that I'm doing it on a 50cc scooter. I have no specific destination yet but would like to find a commune, or something similar, in the Pacific northwest. I'm figuring on the trip taking around a month and I'm hoping to camp out as much as possible. If anyone has any suggestions as far as my destination or my journey I would be grateful.

CasterWizard

Reaction score
Woah, sounds like an adventure, are you going to take highways on that? I'm hopefully headed to Bellingham at some point, I hear there and Olympia are nice for meeting like-minded people.

Reaction score
I have recently been interested in a scooter myself. Is the 50cc scooter allowable nationwide without having to have a license, registration and insurance? Seems like I heard that over 50cc's ...you have to have all that stuff ...???

Dr electron

Reaction score
Anything under 50cc is generally not allowed on the highway, 50 and over is considered a motorcycle and is allowed but you also have to deal with licensing and insurance. I believe there are scooters as big as 250cc. Yeah Caster, I've got several reasons for heading there. Hoping to find a quiet place to stay , as off the grid as possible, before the war starts.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
it's been done before, but not by many, so congrats on becoming one of the few! you might want to bring a basic tool kit to make any on the spot repairs. other than that, good luck and post some updates of your travels (with pics if you can) i'd love to see how your trip pans out.

Dr electron

Reaction score
it's been done before, but not by many, so congrats on becoming one of the few! you might want to bring a basic tool kit to make any on the spot repairs. other than that, good luck and post some updates of your travels (with pics if you can) i'd love to see how your trip pans out.
Thanks Matt, I'll do it. I've got tools, spare parts, and all of my camping gear. As with any time I'm riding the biggest danger is all of the other idiots on the road.

Dr electron

Reaction score
I'm off!

Attachments

• 20210917_173146.jpg
    20210917_173146.jpg
    872.4 KB · Views: 138

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com

Dr electron

Reaction score
Hello all. I'm still at it. In Fort Dodge, Iowa tonight. There's been some long rough days but I've managed to reach my goal every day so far. I have had to dial back my daily distance. I had hoped for 150 miles a day but 125 seems to be a good distance. That's between 5 and 6 hours in the saddle and I'm pretty beat up after that. Unfortunately it looks like my age is finally catching up to me. So, if me and my scooter hold up I should be in Washington in about 3 weeks. I'll keep you posted.

And yes, before you ask, that's an inflatable "roid" ring on the seat. Like I said, getting old kinda sucks.
20210926_080656.jpg
20210926_095808.jpg

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Nice, how many mpg's are you getting in that?

TheFreemanguy

Reaction score
That's a neat little setup. Do you have a previous post describing your gear in more detail? I am interested in the scooter mainly. Brand, model, etc. I personally bicycle about but have been considering a scooter or something similar lately

Dr electron

Reaction score
It's a Piaggio Liberty 50. It's actually 49.5 cc. Not the tip top of the line but one of the best ones on the market. One of the few that's still completely made in Italy. Bear in mind none of them are designed to do what I'm doing. I'm basically abusing it. I would definitely not try this with any of the Chinese made scooters.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads