Modifying gear to carry big /weird stuff.

mkirby

Reaction score
Website
meredithkirby.com
So I recently bough a 3/4 size guitar for travel, and discovered that I can attach it to my pack by putting it in a gig bag and creatively placing some straps and carabiners. It hangs up and down parallel with my back, behind my backpack, and the weight is distributed pretty evenly. (I'll post pictures when I get the chance, it's a satisfying sight.)

I figured it might be a good idea to start a thread for people to post ideas on how to carry big or odd stuff.

Like I know a lot of kids travel with instruments, or other bulky stuff like skateboards, etc. Also some people travel with fragile stuff (some instruments, electronics, etc.) and have to make modifications accordingly to the way they pack. Or other weird things like animals (I've seen some trainhoppers carry rats around in tricked out milk jugs).

Any good ideas?

mylon

Lawn Care Enthusiast
Reaction score

these guys have an interesting idea.. their bags are really small though, only ~1500cubic inches i think, and they're expensive. but yeah the idea seems good.

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
For quick mods, I just use paracord or shoelace, though as of late, I've found a miniparacord that's rated above 100 lb, so I take it off its spool and I crochet it (yeah I carry a hook around with me) into some random squishable shape so it takes up less room and doesn't tangle up. For longer ones, you can always harvest the child seat belt from a derelict shopping cart to make a strap, if you can't dumpsterdive an old backpack to get the straps and buckles (and possibly fabric) from.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads