Modern Anarchism: the problem and my solution

Sip

Reaction score
So I've been thinking a lot about the A-word a lot lately. Both a joke and a cause to fight for, depending on who you ask. Detractors claim that anarchy is either all ego-inflating status gaining talk or mindless pointless action. Proponents claim they are fighting the good fight. Fight a great battle. Fighting against a many headed hydra which deserves to die.

I suspect everyone is right.

From the black bloc to the protesters, from crimethinc to food not bombs, it isn't a myth to say that Anarchism is having little impact on society. After countless numbers of pamphlets and thousands of direct actions. Capitalism still advances relentlessly, grinding human souls into the dust. Anarchists are not taken seriously as a whole, and main stream society still sees anarchy as no government at all and people running around killing each other and raping their daughters. Everything has been, needless to say, quite ineffective on a large scale. This is why many anarchists give up and go home. Or drop in and get jobs. Or sell drugs and move on.

And yet, I said everyone was right, didn't I? Which means the fight is worth fighting. Because while Anarchists are not effective overall, the Capitalist machine still is forcing us to spend large swaths of our lives doing things we hate, for money we don't care about, to buy things we get tired of in a week. A system in which the poor are literally worked to death to make others wealthy. A system in which even conditions are so bad, for some, that nets are put over windows to prevent suicide. Capitalism still produces a society in which we feel dead in our souls (if you like) and sick in our hearts. Any struggle against such a monster as that is worth fighting, at least in my estimation.

So what is the solution? We need something concrete and we need to create instead of destroy. People look at senseless destruction and it either frightens them, or they ask what good it is. People look ideas, which are our creations, and they ask how they will work in real life. What we need is a working community in modern times, that maintains a modern standard of living, as living proof that anarchism is possible. We need a big building filled with anarchists, and this building has to have all the comforts of home. Internet, electricity, the whole nine yards. Everything people are used to in THEIR homes. So that when people come to us to see how we live, we can show them that we live like them, except without all the bullshit that they don't like. We need a society in which the jobs of its occupants are not working, but pursuing art and science and their very own projects, whatever they may be, that will make them happy. What we NEED is a little Anarchist Island floating about in a big old capitalist sea. When people come to us and see that we live life in which we all work together to be able to do what we want and still live just as comfortably as they do, they WILL join us. They have literally no reason not to.

An example of this working in recent history is the Kibbutzim of Palestine. For those of you that don't know, The Jewish nation of Israel was literally created by the united nations. They went to Palestine post WW2 and they asked who was living the better lives, the Palestinians or the Jews? The Jews had created a network of communities that were far more successful than the country they existed in. They were cleaner, they were safer, they were less harsh and more educated. The nations of the world saw this, and literally gave the lands to the Jews to form a nation with, dissolving Palestine in large part.

This is what we need to do here in America. Create these communities and let them speak for us as to why we should exist. Except we need to do this in urban areas, building by building, neighborhood by neighborhood, until Anarchists run whole cities, and then we will have the authority to change things. Then we will have a say and people will know we exist. And they will see that our ideas, varied as they are, are right.

So you ask me, we need all of this. That is obvious. I agree. Now how do we get it? We need a new type of organization. One that combines the direct action of the black bloc with the pamphlets of the protesters, and the services of organizations such as food not bombs. This new organization needs to be part political party, part activist front, part intellectual organization, and even part gang. The strong arm of the black bloc needs to acquire the materials needed to support the anarchists and pay for the buildings, the men of plans and ideas are needed to recruit people to the cause and interact with the larger world on our behalf, as well as to fundraise, and the folks that work in areas like food not bombs are needed to glue it all together and make it all work. And yes, we need a leaders. People willing and able to take the best routes to forward our cause and to keep all the many anarchists from giving up or splintering off. We need to decide to start getting serious. We need to venture into areas both legal and illegal to create these communities, these Modern communities, these full-service societies that will prove to the world that we are legitimate. We need to stop discussing what it means to BE anarchists and BECOME anarchists.

Do we need the protesters and the idea men? yes but we need them recruiting and fundraising.

Do we need the guerrilla fighters? yes, but we need them protecting our events, getting the materials that are needed to create our society, and to keep the authorities from destroying us.

Do we need the Anarchists who create resources like FNB and various food and mechanical co-ops, as well as legal teams? Yes, but we need them outreaching to the world, not the anarchists, and we need them to help do the things that need doing in our communities.

We need to come together, in short, and we need to take a few pages from the Capitalist world and get organized and get moving.

P.S. There are obviously a lot of things I didn't cover here. And the group or picture I've painted may not sound very anarchist at all, but those are questions I can answer and are exactly what I'm trying to avoid talking about here.

I want to hear ideas for this organization, for this plan.

I WANT TO HEAR WHAT YOU THINK WE NEED TO MAKE THIS WORK, NOT IF IT CAN OR CANNOT WORK, AS THIS IS EXACTLY THE KIND OF ARGUMENT THAT SKEWERS US.

Mankini

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Organization and proper education for young people. The public schools teach kids the American, capitalist way of life. These schools ignore anarchist principles. What schoolkid has ever been taught about Haymarket, Emma Goldman, Joe Hill, the Sedition Act, J. Edgar Hoover's policies, MKULTRA, Paperclip, CHAOS, etc...Smedley Butler, ... the Lincoln Brigade? All children are taught is presidents, kings, generals. War, money, and politics....Civics classes have virtually disappeared from classrooms. Take a child in hand: teach them the real history of the world, and you can start with the seminal text Howard Zinn wrote about that.

PS See: Operation Mockingbird....The following was a CIA front organization, and probably still is...

http://usstudents.org/

Last edited:

Sip

Reaction score
Excellent idea, educating the young. The world can never change if every generation thinks about things the way the previous one did. So you're right, we need to teach the nations children, but in order to do that we need to either infiltrate the schools or convince their parents that a different style of education is required, for which we need their agreement and participation. And it cannot be only the children of anarchists, or else it means nothing. We want results now, not hundreds of years from now when we finally have a cultural shift. Obviously, education is a part, but not the answer to the whole problem.

Reactions: Mankini

Sip

Reaction score
If we build these complexs that then spawn out into neighborhoods that then spawn out into cities, we can easily teach the next generation a more gentle and sustainable way of life with the earth and their fellow man. So the question still remains, how do we create these communities, and this organization while educating the youth of today as to the true way of the world, or as to the world we desire to have?

Mankini

Banned
Reaction score
Find young people anywhere and utilize time wisely to get them to question what the society is trying to brainwash them with. You can volunteer at BB/BS; YMCA; any number of organizations, and influence kids-get them to at least think critically about information and question everything.

Reactions: 4t7

Sip

Reaction score
So you're suggesting that while other members of organization X are acquiring materials and support to build these communities that are needed to make anarchists legit and to give us a presence and an ability to be effective, other of us need to be interacting with youth to create a culture that will accept these communities and respect what we consider to be appropriate values and ideas as well as showing the fallacy that is capitalism?

Mankini

Banned
Reaction score
Yes. The root of the propaganda we need to combat is that the idea of force, violence, and coercion is an acceptable way to get your needs met. Uproot these principles, and you're well on your way to creating a better society.

Violence is illegitimate, therefore any construct that utilizes it is illegitimate. Violent toys, shows, literature, music and movies need to be done away with....

Cop shows; war movies; all of it needs to be removed from what kids have access to. This is how the State teaches people that its methods are morally acceptable.

Police state and militarism must be cast as villains not heroes.

Sip

Reaction score
While I agree that we do need a cultural shift where-in violence is abhorred. In modern society it is impossible to do away with its influence completely. I am looking more for ideas on how to put the plan I have outlined above into effect, so that we will have concrete objectives that produce real results in the modern world. Culture is important, and cultural change is required, but placing those things at the forefront of the movement at the expense of other actions or discussions, in my view, will not produce results for another 100yrs. I am looking for ideas and plans with more immediate effect. While a cultural change is needed, it's not what I want this thread to be about. Cultural change is one thing the anarchist movement has been pursing, and so far it hasn't been fruitful. I want concrete action that is taken through creating communities, which produce concrete results.

Sip

Reaction score
Yeah, go for it! The more people with the potential to get excited about it the better. I'd love to see this idea amount to something. I'm obviously working on it here in MI, but I have little experience with organizing things.

Psylock1045

Reaction score
How would someone acquife a building to start this? Or a block? Sounds like the easiest way would be to have someone at the top of the food chain.

Sip

Reaction score
That's funny. I was thinking detroit myself. It is a city just waiting for a revolution to come along and pick it up. Any such group could stay under the radar long enough to avoid being crushed for whatever reason by the law, and would be welcomed by the populace. I don't expect the group to purchase a whole neighborhood, but whatever building it does start out in, (preferably a factory as that would provide enough room to expand and sectioned off so only parts of it would have to be made nice at a time.) it does need to be purchased legally. Eviction would be such an easy way for them to ruin whatever we might build.

Mankini

Banned
Reaction score
It could possibly become and remain autonomous for a very long time, a la Christiania. The Bourgeois seem to have deserted it, and so much the better. Capital, too, as well as infrastructure has deserted it, and what else is anarchy other than the absence of traditional infrastructure? Convenient! -Half the work's already been done for us.

Sip

Reaction score
You would have to come up with the money to fund things in D-town. probably through a lot of ways. The members of the group who didn't mind working would work for some. The members of the group who don't mind theft would steal some. The members of the group who are good at fundraising and things like that could start go fund me campaigns and find ways to encourage the masses who can afford to donate to donate. This is why it would take all kinds of anarchists to make this idea work. Because we are facing off against the most dominant country on earth, and every tactic would have to be used to advance the group and ensure anarchists a place in mainstream society. We would have to put aside our differences until people realize that we are an extant force that needs to be acknowledged, and then we can work out the finer points.

Sip

Reaction score
The point is, we need to create this community that we can hold up as a beacon to the world and say "Look, Anarchism can work. The world your living in is a 2nd class option on what is a 1st class planet".

Mankini

Banned
Reaction score
Can you possibly scout some neighborhoods on foot and see what kind of abandoned housing options there are?....Preferably 10-15 yr old houses with their own surrounding acreage? Acreage for growing food and raising dairy and meat critters...???...

At the very end of this article is the perfect building: a palace seemingly only a few minutes from downtown.

http://globalnews.ca/news/728063/haunting-images-of-detroits-abandoned-buildings/

Last edited:

Sip

Reaction score
I very much like the idea of Detroit being that place, for reasons mentioned above. However, I don't think this has to be a single city, I think that it can take place in many cities. This idea is simply creating instead of destroying. Doing instead of writing. And focusing our energies in ways that make sense to Jo citizen.

Can you possibly scout some neighborhoods on foot and see what kind of abandoned housing options there are?....Preferably 10-15 yr old houses with their own surrounding acreage? Acreage for growing food and raising dairy and meat critters...???...

I kind of have some reservations about looking for this type of set up. Part of the reason why I believe the anarchist movement has failed to effect the greater part of society is this idea that we need to be agriculturally self sufficient. The goal here is not a ranch where we can take people and show them how we milk the cows all day. It is modern urban living, shared by the group that is supported by the sale of hand made products, Jobs, theft, fund raising, and through the running of businesses by the group that is then used to fund the community. Obviously, we would not use money amongst ourselves, but it IS needed to fund the utlities we have to have to connect with the average citizen.

In order for the organization or group or whatever to have any impact in modern society, you need to be able to show them a modern living situation. And cows and acreage aren't it. Now obviously we would welcome our country cousins, so to speak, and "trade" with them would be very important once the ball got rolling.

But cities are where the power is at in modern society, and we need to show that cities can function under anarchist administration of some kind.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads