Minimalism vs. epicureanism: How much is 'too much

lone wolf

Reaction score
i have a general rule, if i can get by without it for 1 week then i don't need it. although when it comes to my tools and spare parts i throw that rule out the window. RovingAnarchist mentioned a tool library in another thread. now that's a genius idea.

Reactions: Durp and Mankini

Desperado Deluxe

Reaction score
Also I used to go to thrift stores and get a sport coat and tie, then infiltrate hotel breakfasts, wedding parties, and other social settings where I otherwise wouldn't be welcome.

Hellz ya that's what my columbia windbreaker is for. Good social camoflauge rolls up to a tiny little thing. Before I had a stearns pretty much the same thing. Nobody looks at you twice with one of those and its warm to boot.

Reactions: Mankini
S

soodoenim

When I was doing my heaviest traveling, I tended to hitchhike with about 75 pounds of gear in my pack. I had a hammock, army issue cammo bivvy, two person tent, two wool blankets and a sleeping bag. My thinking at the time was to have a home in my backpack, so that when I found a nice patch of woods somewhere, I could build a cozy campsite and stay put for a few weeks or more. In retrospect, it was clearly a bit much. Still though, there's something to be said for having your own private world in your pack so you can feel at home wherever you go.

Also, I didn't drink or smoke or anything back then, so i did t spange, and any money I did accumulate went into securing wool socks and solid footwear.

Mankini

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
I used to use a large ALICE and other GI surplus. But now I'm trying to fit everything in a 30L pack. It's a challenge and definitely a work in progress. Because, like you said, what do you do when temps drop unexpectedly and heavy rainfall, when all you have is a measly poncho liner and a tarp? ...Comfort is the difference between a pleasurable experience and a nightmare. ...There has to be a way to achieve both ultralite -and- comfort.

Anagor

Reaction score
Website
anagortravelling.wordpress.com
For some reason I like the basic, minimalistic lifestyle. If you look at my current avatar, that was how I went to England last month. Old German army backpack, a very simple sleeping pad, a 20 years old sleeping bag (but a good one) and a small backpack (served me as daypack and to put my notebook in when I wasn't a hostel) I bought in Bristol for 8 quid.

I had with me (including what I wore) 3 t-shirts, 3 hoodies and 3 pairs of pants and I found it to be too much. I wore my ripped jeans and one tee and hoodie most of the time anyway.

Even when I could afford it, I almost never had a beer in a pub. I like to just get a can somewhere and sit on the streets. I never had dinner at a restaurant, I just got something from a fast food and ate it while walking. Or got a can of tuna from Aldi, went around the corner, threw my jacket on the ground to sit upon and ate the tuna right out of the can.

Why? I don't know. I just had the freedom to do what I want and I did that.

I couldn't care less if my shoes are broken as long as they don't give me blisters. I couldn't care less if my pants are ripped as long as they still fulfill their function. I couldn't care less if I have to sleep rough as long as I don't feel frightened the place I am.

I don't know why that is that way, sometimes I'm quite confused about it myself.

Off-topic: next time I'll try to bring a black jacket with me. My white one was so dirty as I came back home, I felt a little embarrassed ... ;)

Reactions: Odin

Mankini

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Theres much to be said for minimalism. Although I have to admit, for most of my life I was a rubber tramp, and that particular style is my favorite, mostly because your mobility is increased 100 fold...and you can lock the doors at nite. :)

Durp

Reaction score
haha yup, but a zip can be made for free!!!! and when trucking cross state line easily be concealed in plain sight as a pipe. Im just talking shit, guns are an unessicary liability if you are traveling IMHO, altho boom sticks sure are fun to play with in the desert! (or any where really)

Reactions: Mankini

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads