Midwest is soul sucking

plantgirl0214

Reaction score
Hi, folxs

I’m Maddie, was born and raised in the Midwest. Been around vagabonds and wanderers my whole life alongside many of my friends growing up left for places around the county after we graduated high school with big adventures planned. Was in AK on and off part-time for four years and got a real taste of freedom making a name for myself in a new place and meeting so many beautiful strangers along the way. Hoping to scratch that same itch and find people in my area (Illinois) with similar values and hobbies. I’m tired of lying to myself thinking I can live off of a 9-5 office job and be content but that’s just not where my heart will ever be. I want to meet genuine people who aren’t afraid to live their lives and fuck up along the way. I know this site is shutting down soon but I’m excited to use it as much as possible for the next few months, and maybe get in touch with a few folks.

Last edited:

transcendentalhobo

Reaction score
I'm in Chicago until mid-November, I Love it here! Also hit up MPLS on my way here, possibly my favorite city in the US? I also used to like Madison, Wisconsin a bunch. I mean, I do plan on going back to the Pacific North West in fall, but the midwest has its gems for sure. I think it's the most underrated part of the US!

plantgirl0214

Reaction score
I have friends in the Twin City area and love it there. Madison is also a fun place to visit and mess around in. Haven't gotten up to Chicago much but in general I hear good things. The Midwest has its perks and is a really pretty place in my opinion, but the small-town attitudes and politics definitely takes its toll on my mental health after a while. This is usually when I get my itch to start moving and traveling again.

transcendentalhobo

Reaction score
I have friends in the Twin City area and love it there. Madison is also a fun place to visit and mess around in. Haven't gotten up to Chicago much but in general I hear good things. The Midwest has its perks and is a really pretty place in my opinion, but the small-town attitudes and politics definitely takes its toll on my mental health after a while. This is usually when I get my itch to start moving and traveling again.

I haven't been to Madcity since 2005, but I had a good run there. If you can feasibly plan a day trip to Chicago I'm always interested in meeting other Travelers who aren't steeped in the drunk punk thing, etc.

I can't promise housing, but if you (and your Road Dawgs?) seem cool I can probably host for a day or two.

I'm pretty dead set on going back to the PNW by myself after my nightmarish Road Trip here, but also interested in meeting other Travelers from the region who would want to reconnect on the West Coast.

MetalBryan

Reaction score
I was doing some day drinking last week and this guy stumbled into the bar (three different times within an hour) looking to bum a cig. Nobody smoked and he was not furious but frustrated making sure to tell us he was going back to Chicago because KC is lame. Do people smoke a lot in Chicago? lol

Anyway, I'll share my experience from my four years spent in Miami. As a white guy who doesn't speak much Spanish, that might have been the most isolated I've ever been and yet I still put in the work to find my fellow weirdos even though it took a couple years. You will be surprised how many people there are around you that share your values and attitudes (more or less) if you do a little looking around and take a chance on failing to meet them. I mean, yeah obviously if you aren't feeling a vibe then you should move on but if you feel stuck give that place a chance.

You can also embrace being the weirdo in a group of friends. Bowling alleys are a good place to meet a random assortment of strangers - drinkers, non-drinkers, punks, rednecks, kids, 9-5ers, unemployedz, etc. Everyone bowls a game now and again when discount night comes around.

transcendentalhobo

Reaction score
I was doing some day drinking last week and this guy stumbled into the bar (three different times within an hour) looking to bum a cig. Nobody smoked and he was not furious but frustrated making sure to tell us he was going back to Chicago because KC is lame. Do people smoke a lot in Chicago? lol

Anyway, I'll share my experience from my four years spent in Miami. As a white guy who doesn't speak much Spanish, that might have been the most isolated I've ever been and yet I still put in the work to find my fellow weirdos even though it took a couple years. You will be surprised how many people there are around you that share your values and attitudes (more or less) if you do a little looking around and take a chance on failing to meet them. I mean, yeah obviously if you aren't feeling a vibe then you should move on but if you feel stuck give that place a chance.

You can also embrace being the weirdo in a group of friends. Bowling alleys are a good place to meet a random assortment of strangers - drinkers, non-drinkers, punks, rednecks, kids, 9-5ers, unemployedz, etc. Everyone bowls a game now and again when discount night comes around.

Heh, I just started smoking tobacco again after 5.5 years off of it in Chicago... yeah, kind of lots of people smoke here.

• Angry
Reactions: RayvnHearsMusic

plantgirl0214

Reaction score

A lot of people in the Midwest smoke in my experience. I started when I was 15….

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads