Michigan to Key West summer tour 2014 | Squat the Planet

Michigan to Key West summer tour 2014

Joni

Reaction score
I am currently working on gearing up for a ride from southern lower Michigan. Just a little more fine tuning and my gear is good to go. I am interested in anyone that's wants to travel along with an old school rubber tramp. I currently ride a custom built recumbent with a trailer. nothing fancy its really a rust bucket that i built years ago with this trip in mind. lol I ride an average of about 8 mph for long distances and average of 30-60 miles per day depending on the weather. i just plug along really and do whatever i can. ;) timeframe will probably be an all season thing. i plan to south of the OMFG cold parts of the states by mid to late summer.
I am looking for others that want to ride along. its always as good to have someone on long rides even if its just a portion of the route. my route in spring/summer 2014 is looking like i will be riding the United States Bicycle Route System. its appears to be a pretty flat route on topo maps. may be couple hundred feet elevation gain at most in the mountains. the plan is to start in Michigan -> New York -> Jacksonville -> Key West. in the route plan i am looking at usbr 30, usbr 40, usbr 1/usbr 5. this is going to be the long haul stealth camping style trip. if you want to ride along its a good idea that you are self sufficient. i have things like minor tools and such to use if there is a breakdown while on the trail. i will probably be flying a sign the whole way.

If any one wants to meet up, join me, or just hang out let me know. comments appreciated! i would love to see what's happening because those pit stops are half the adventure. :D
-Joni

p.s. oh yeah this is one of those bucket list thingies lol got it done before retirement age :p

Last edited:
K

koko4

Hey this sounds pretty fun. I'm actually way down in Miami, but it's still a couple of hours from Key West so.. I guess I'm in if it's cool with you?

Honey badge

Reaction score
Hey this sounds pretty fun. I'm actually way down in Miami, but it's still a couple of hours from Key West so.. I guess I'm in if it's cool with you?
hey I'm in miami right now and trying to decide if I'm gonna stay for a while or not. can you tell me about any cool places to go, cool people or places to sleep?

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
was your recumbant expensive? i'm thinking about doing something similar, but on a pretty tight budget... oh, also, i kinda want to do the west coast instead of the east :)

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
whoa, those bike maps are pretty awesome too!

Joni

Reaction score
was your recumbant expensive? i'm thinking about doing something similar, but on a pretty tight budget... oh, also, i kinda want to do the west coast instead of the east :)
well when i worked in a shop i built it after work in my spare time. spare parts and hardware cost me around $350 for a recumbent that is pretty bullet proof/ hardware store repairable. its in its third revision but in all i only took a winter to build the frame and main stuff. there is always something that needs fiddling with it though. looks like a rust bucket but rides like a sports car. :D but that's kinda by design. i am afraid if i get it powder coated er something it'll get stolen. honestly if i had the $2000 dollars i would just buy a catrike with a custom seat because i haven't been fond of their immovable seats.

but basically when you build yours it is all about uniform geometry and balance. if you can, follow some plans to a certain point and ride other bents. i didn't have this opportunity when i built mine and kinda regret it now because i was guessing far too much.

my bent is based off the thunderbolt plans at IPHIVA. with a green speed type sling seat.
http://www.ihpva.org/Projects/PracticalInnovations/index.html

It also has an ackerman steering compensator so it not so twitchy and i can adjust that to lazy or sports steering. i welded my headsets solid because those heim joint are REALLY expensive (like $10 each for 1/4"-20 rod end bearings) which was most of the bikes cost (i used 6) in the build and they are necessary.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PR-Joints/images/IMG_2267_small.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rod_end_bearing
i tried turn buckles and all sorts of others custom stuff and it all had downsides. hyme joints you can make a 4link indy car front end. i just use them for steering arms because they have no play in them which at high speed can make a bent buck you off the bike. also make sure you use at least 3/8" axles larger would better as you can see in the pic below i had a really bad day and a headset took a bite into the concrete.
but yeah it'l be an ongoing machining and design learning experience if you build one. but many do it on the cheap and they work quite well. the hardest part is finding the parts because they are so specialized.

hope this helps ...
-joni

Attachments

• DSC01459.JPG
    DSC01459.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 320
  • Useful
Reactions: Matt Derrick
A

Arapala

Woah, excellent idea! I'm trying to plan a long 2014 summer bike tour as well and also starting in Michigan. What city will you be starting from? I would be very interested in touring with an old school rubber tramp! I ride about the same distance daily but on my touring bike, i like your riding style though and would love to learn more about it. Also i agree those are nice maps, i have been trying to plan a route but this one looks way better than mine.

All of my stealth camping gear and bike are ready to go. Just need to get some new tires and spare tubes is all. i have been documenting somewhat on my website you should check it out. www.trekkingbuddha.com

Idk maybe message me if you want to talk more about touring, thank you!

Last edited:

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads