Mexico? | Squat the Planet

Mexico?

joelstitch

Reaction score
I am planning on going to Mexico in January, I have never been there and I know lots of people in this forum have so I wanted to get a few tips from people that have traveled in Mexico. I was thinking of bringing the usual stuff I travel with in the US (hiking backpack, sleeping bag, small camera, tarp, knife, etc.). I read somewhere in the forum that if the cops catch me with a knife I can get in big trouble, but I don't like traveling without my knife (which is a fixed blade). Any tips?

uliveandyouburn

Reaction score
Website
nopromiseofsafety.com
idk about the knife, but traveling with one for protection isn't going to help much. Banditos attack in packs and they are more likely to fuck you up if you fight back than in the US. Best just to travel without much money or gear. Getting in is pretty damn easy, no visa needed unless you go farther than 20km in, and even then you can roll right past the checkin if you aren't worried about being an illegal. Never had any problems myself getting up to a one month visa. I think 6 months is the cutoff if you're not there for work. Hitching is easier. Get through the borderlands as fast as possible, its nicer the further south you get.

Cardboard

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
knife is no problem, just dont have it in your pocket. A multi tool in the pocket might put you in prison, but a 18" machete on your belt is fine. take a sheath, keep it visible. the police dont like surprises anywhere.

Cardboard

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
also, I didnt know about this visa thing, maybe its new? I was there last a few years ago, and living and working for 3 months, no problems. Just hassled once for a small blade in my pocket, I was repairing fishing nets for work, and the cops didnt care. no jail, but they took the knife, and werent happy with me for about a week.

uliveandyouburn

Reaction score
Website
nopromiseofsafety.com
Technically you're supposed to get a visa if you go past 20km from the border for any duration of time. I've overstayed mine several times though and had cops look at the date on it after it expired and they never did anything about it. So like I said ignoring the kilometer 21 checkpoint is a viable option.

joelstitch

Reaction score
I will probably get the visa just in case, I checked and it's online like $20-$25. I might not take a knife just to prevent problems. Another thing I'm devating is if I should take my nice camera or my shitty camera. I usually have a shitty one that I take traveling but I would prefer to take my other one, it just would suck to get it stolen.

yosh

Reaction score
hey, my girl and i are in baja now. our plan is to catch out of mexicali in a week or so. if your around and down for that kind of adventure, the more the merrier.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads