Media Outlits to Trust? | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

Media Outlits to Trust?

Pervert Pirate

Reaction score
I grew up with guys who were into HAM Radio and Short Wave listening.
The Short Wave broadcast from the many countries reminds me most of
NPR/PBS. But it is one of the places I go for interesting news reports that are informative.

You can pick up inexpensive Short Wave Receivers and find listings for what countries are broadcasting in English Language on what days at what times. Passport to World Band Listening is in many Libraries. You can even listen on some websites which monitor these broadcast. After dark it is easy to find many broadcast but there are still some on in the mornings and afternoons.

http://www.k5kj.net/swl.htm
http://www.k5kj.net/swl.htm
I've talked with some American Expats living abroad and they have told me in these words...."the view outside the states looking in is much different than the view when inside". I've not been outside as an Expat
to know. But they are quite satisfied with their lots. Some are retired ranking Military personnel, others are educators, and others are Tech people. They lurk on sites like American Citizens Abroad and discuss this same topic there.

Beginners guide to shortwave listening is another good book.

A simple analog receiver with around 13 Bands. :They usually require 2 to 3 AA Batteries. Simple headphones can add to a clearer signal.
Old schooler's like the analog tuners as you can comb the bands
more precisely. The digital's progress in steps (2.5 steps as an example) where the analog doesn't take steps) Thus with the analog
you could fine tune into a station better.

51oJzhLwGRL._SX466_.jpg

and a digital tuner receiver:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQpRiRj87LxN8Cm4UIXiogCm6E_WDwI5B6BcXxzr2ikrJhd7GBjyA.jpg

• Useful
Reactions: MarkB and Odin

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads