looking for some guidence

Diana Kaple

Reaction score
So, im really young, 18. ive had alot of ideas shoved at me while growing up, u know, the general "do really well in school, get a scholarship to an ivy league, get a well paying job, find a nice guy, get a nice house." all that bullshit. Ive watched money tare my family apart, and it just doesnt appeal to me. Our society on a whole is an illusion, our economy, our education system and so much more( but enough about that bullshit, im sure everyone here is well aware of that, the point is that ive fully come to an understanding of it and have a clean slate but im also starting from scratch); and im ready to live my life how i want and am willing to do what it takes. I gotta say, I've grown up living pretty comfortably, so i dont have much experiences with fending for myself and i also dont have alot of job experiences or skills. I would say im self aware and aware of world issues. Im not a really rough and gruff type, i have friends who are, and dont get me wrong, i dont let people push me around, but Im a pretty compassionate, heart centered person, and i care about the well being of others. im not one for violence towards other living things. and i like too keep on the DL, i don't like to cause trouble...

What im really looking for from this place, is for people to share their experiences with me (especially if u think u might have started in a similar place as i am), to help me get more acquainted and familiar with this kind of lifestyle, from the lingo to what ever else i would need to know. Especially experiences from girls (and even more so, petite girls. but really, im 5'2" and 100 lb and I'm done growing) or guys who have traveled with smaller girls. it would be awesome if i could meet a few people who would be kind of like mentors or older siblings in a way, to kind of show me the ropes.

thanks! -D

Reactions: CrotchInfection

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
edited... wow this post did not make any sense at all..

welcome

wizehop

Chasing the Darkness
Reaction score
Welcome to the site young Diana. What is it exactly that you dream about which ended up bringing you here?

Diana Kaple

Reaction score
well basicaly, i dont want money to dictate my happiness/what i can experience and i want to be in a community that sustains itself. Its hard for me to imagine how im going to pay off student loans(wich i already have from starting college at an early age) and cant really imagine ever having my own land let alone paying a mortgage. Im curious about people and places. I wont be able to travel for some time. but i would like to in a few years(so im trying to learn what i can in that time and do some micro traveling and make more connections). One day i would like to travel all over the us and canada, going to ecovilliges, communes, gatherings, woofing, seminars on holistic medicine, and learn how to help people make transitions into sustainable living for themselves. But for now Im looking for info on how to live life on a low budget and in nature using what resources are already available with out getting involved with supporting big corporations. I'm hoping to live in the woods this summer with a couple of friends and do some gardening on some land of folks i know. I would like to hear about people experiences of when they first started out, what i should expect, and advice for living in the woods for months at a time(still in walking distance to town.) :)

D

Deleted member 125

hokay, you seem like a reasonably intelligent human being, and in my experience the best way to get experience in the things you seem interested in (ecovillages, communes, woofing and what not) is to do it. for the most part people who are worth a shit at that kind of stuff dont go giving out tips and tricks and contacts all willy nilly to strangers.

and living in the woods is just like camping...in the woods...without a car. get a decent tent, cookset, and other personal items. its not rocket science to figure out what you NEED to live off of. from yer post it seems like you may have a bit of money to buy some decent gear, ide suggest checking out REI or another similiar retailer close to you and asking about hiking backpacks and light weight stuff and not just because of yer height/weight (again since im assuming you have money to spend). eating plants in the woods without being positive on what yer eating if incredibly dangerous, so i would suggest not doing it, its pretty easy to eat a plant thats poison. try to find somebody who can physically teach you the things you want to know, the internet is great but more often then not youll find more bullshit about alternate lifestyles then you will find real usefull advice information from people who dont know you and may not trust you with information.

cport420

Reaction score
Living in the woods is straight. Water is really fucking important. And fucking heavy. So a rain water collection system would be best unless near fresh running water. Or spend 50-100 on a good water filter system and not worry bout it.

Eggs keep for a long ass time and are easy to keep and don't have to be kept cold so you could always have a good healthy source of protein. And you being so small framed and young get a nice can of bear mace or if you are broke at the time a 3.00 can of wasp/hornet spray and if someone fucks with you take their eyesight.

• Useful
Reactions: eske silver

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
What area of the country are you in Diana? Or what area will you be planning on being in the woods?

rif raph

Reaction score
water is priority number one always keep that in mind, other than that just spread those beautiful wings and fly. The best way to learn is first hand experience.

A personal weapon may keep your mind at ease when traveling. I'm custom to a spring assisted pocket knife, A quick last stand if need be but every one has personal preference.

When in new and exotic lands try making a stop at the local library to find books on the wild edibles pertaining to that state or region you are in.

Also don't push yourself to hard, if you feel you need a rest take one it does not make you any less of a bad ass to take a rest every once and a wile. It will also give you some time to drain those blisters you surely will have, and change into a fresh pair of socks there is nothing more euphoric than the feeling you get after countless miles of truckin when you slip a fresh pair of socks on your feet.

One last thing, WATER WATER WATER, on the road water is your ONLY friend everything else is second in nature, when you stop to fill up drink as much as you can handle before hand and then fill your canteen or whatever type of container you prefer. Do not neglect water or life will neglect you.

• Useful
Reactions: eske silver

Diana Kaple

Reaction score
i live in western Massachusetts. the woods im planning on staying in is right next to my town. its used for light recreation, so im pretty sure its not legal to camp for extended periods of time... lucky for me the popo in my area is pretty chill, so they either just wont care or give me a warning(if they even bother to go into the woods). my friends and i always make fires and some light partying in the areas that everyone uses that's closer to town and more noticeable and still dont get any crap for it, so im sure ill be just fine.

thanks everyone. Feel free to send me any messages about camping, any stories or advice.

Reactions: Matt Derrick

BurnReno

Reaction score
~Diana,
~~~Massachusetts is home to some wonderful edible mushrooms. I would take the time and effort to get to know the field. Talk to some experts about them.///Having knowledge about mushrooms when living in the wilderness is essential in my opinion. They are abundant, and very good for you./// There are groups in Mass,especially in Amherst, that get together to study them. It's definitely useful.

~~~get to know people around you that share this passion. This can open up so many doors for you.
~~~I can guarantee if you find a local farm and you ask them if you can volunteer they would be delighted, especially if you are doing it for educational purposes./// I think farming/gardening is essential for living your life independently.

good luck and welcome to the forum!
Cheers!

Diana Kaple

Reaction score
and for the record. i have $6 to my name......my family feeds and houses me. and they would clothe me and get me some other things if i asked, but i don't and actually insist they dont. Its kinda weird, im set up comfortably enough that i dont feel an immediate need to fend for myself, but im also almost in a bubble. My mom sheltered me on purpose, to "protect me" but i think it left me ill prepared. she might get me a tent if i begged for a week (which is great) but i would be giving them the cold shoulder if they did and then i walked out, plus i would rather earn it for myself. and i dont want their help unless they really understand what it is im trying to do. Im not trying to burn any bridges. perhaps i need to wait it out a little longer for the right moment, and continue looking for a job or do odd jobs till Ive saved enough for some basic gear. what are other peoples experiences on first staring out on their own?

B

Benny

Make a plan and go for it. Scrounge yourself some gear and some extra cash anyway you can. Learn as much as you can about what you need and how you want to travel on these forums . Meet some trustworthy people and contacts in farms or what not and go for it.

Nearly everyone on this site has been at the starting point like you are and have figured it out. The biggest concern that i've seen with new travelers is being scared to not piss off mom and dad.

You are an adult now. You can either stay where it's safe or live your life. You'll make mistakes and everything won't be perfect but thats part of the journey.

Reactions: Odin and BurnReno

Bl3wbyyou

Reaction score
Hmm oddly enough i come from a medical school family both my father and mother are in the medical field.So im from a mid grade part of society.Spoiled as a little shit for most of my childhood for the most part.

But i've always had that flare to think outside the box and wanted to see the world for what it is not for what the news and government/family think it is out to be.No evil boogie man out to get ya unless if you consider a homebum a boogie man.I find them harmless and a joke.

I started this traveling gig if you wanna call it that about 9 months ago.I started building a gear pile a year before i ever considered it.And my family called bullshit on all of it.But my father actually was the one who encouraged me to go out and about like this.Said well if i was in your shoes young and able to do what you want and have no college/school ties then i would see the country too.Go out there and see the world.

I've been doing this mostly broke as shit but come May ill be leaving here with some coin in my pocket for a change.Money doesn't differ my traveling it just gets me luxury's if i feel like i need them.Money really isnt a problem to come by when you are out on the road.I usually get $5-$20 off people who pick me up or drop me off.Just ask em right out that you haven't had anything to eat today.Well heres $5-$20 go get some food.Simple as that.

And if you are REALLY hurting you can ask restaurants what you can do to get a meal.Most of em will flat out give ya something to eat i've never been told no lol.

You can build a good decent set up for $100-$200.I started with way less and its been getting better everytime i leave with better gear because i do work around town as a mechanic.So i do have some skill sets i use if i need money to gear up.

Sure my mother hates me doing this and still trys to force me to fly right and go back to school and whatever the hell else.But im a highschool drop out.And i have got to say traveling around has been the happiest i have been in my life.Always enjoying my time and being around others.

I would say the biggest thing in your path is you making that step out the door and saying the hell with everything and just living your life like you want.Its what alot of people find that will make or break them.

Hopefully you will find that push within you to just make the dive for it and don't look back.Haha.

Good luck!

I would consider shipping you my old bag if you could cover the measly $20 for shipping if you need a pack.Least it'd be useful.Lmk i have it listed in the market area.

Later
Chris/BIGsBY

eske silver

In Disguise
Reaction score
Hey Diana!
You sound like a really cool chick and it's awesome to see that you've got a pretty solid idea of how you want to go about getting out into the world.
Eco-villages, co-ops, communes, gatherings, woofing, etc are really great things to be a part of.
Being a strong, independent woman, like you seem to be, is a good start too! ;)
I think you've got a lot moxie and I'd love to see where this takes you.

I just said this to another young traveler-to-be, but I'll sat to you as well:
I have in the past and am now helping a few friends start their life on the road.
Having a full list of of pros and cons is good but also a worst case scenario 'guide'.
One of the main things is a Minimum Gear List, though.
Having a vehicle involves a whole other minimum gear list, too.
Deciding to live in the woods involves yet a third necessity list.
I've lived 'off the grid' in cities, small town, and in the woods.
All three, at various times, either living in a vehicle or storming by foot/bike.
I wouldn't mind at all helping you out in any I can.

The best advice I can give you for right here and now is to go on the internet, to the library and to book stores and find as many books as possible on camping, plant variety guides With Pictures, basic shelter architecture, basic survival guides, etc.
Take notes and photocopy.
When I was your age, I did that and made a sort of how-to guide for everything I needed to know about making it out in the world. I doubt it still exists but I've always thought everyone should make one of their own. It'll definitely help you retain some useful information.

When you finally take off, we should meet up. I'd love to meet you!

Reactions: Helical

Charlie

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Hey Diana, I got one word for you: WWOOF. Google it, I think you'll dig it. It's a good way to learn to work with your hands and get fed, you don't have to work long hours. I worked for a farmer who let one guy camp there by pulling weeds one hour every day. I worked my ass off for this farmer just so I could get a crash course in agriculture. Now I'm a champion chicken chaser, I know how to slaughter and prepare a meat chicken, I know how to make a good composte pile, I know how to milk a cow, I know how to till ground, plant seed, set up sprinklers, harvest grain, clean grain, plant gardens and harvest them, thin apples, glean orchards, pick a variety of fruit, maintain fruit trees, work on a diesel tractor, I had a refresher course in welding, learned how to cook food after harvesting it, all sorts of good stuff. All of that in just about 3 months. I was fed really well, had a nice campsite, burned fires whenever I would like, I didn't work for money, got used to living in a tent and out of a backpack. All of that, and I still had time to adventure around the nearby town, hang out at the river, go fishing, I got gas for riding my motorcycle, hang out with friends.

Who can refuse free labor? Best of all, it'll make it easier for you to hit the road. It'll make you a hard worker (everybody likes a hard worker, ESPECIALLY travelers) and give you a damn good reference (if the farmer uses a phone) in case you apply for a job later.

Just a suggestion, If I knew about WWOOFing when I was your age, I would've been all over it. I admire the passion you have, it'll be interesting to see what you become. Stay in touch Diana, we'll all want to hear about your experiences.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads