Question Looking for scenic route recommendations in Japan for a 2-week trip that starts and ends in Tokyo!

MossandSickle

Reaction score
Hey everyone! So I'm going to Japan for 5 weeks but 3 of those weeks I will be staying and exploring with friends in Tokyo. I would like to spend time touring though so I'm dedicating just 2 weeks to just going off to do a small bike tour before having to fly back from Tokyo.

Does anyone recommend a beautiful route to go through thats only about 1200km total? I was thinking maybe a loop such as Chiba to Sendai, then cut across to the west side coast on the other side and ride along that for a while before going back down to tokyo from Niigata.

My other thought was riding to Niigata, and just going the other direction riding the edge of the coast in a circle to Nagoya -> Hamamatsu -> Shizuoka -> etc until back to Tokyo.
Last idea was something like the most direct route from tokyo to Aomori, and then either coastline back.

Thoughts?

Colinleath

Reaction score
Website
colinleath.github.io
I'll be there October 13 but I doubt I'd bother to ride 1200km in two weeks. I'm usually much slower than that. Enjoy your trip!

I'm not sure whether I'll walk this time or ride but will figure that out when I get there. It might be too cold for me to stick around and I might head to Perth after a while.

ali

Reaction score
Did you figure out a plan for this yet? Japan is on my "take a short trip while i'm racking up years for my permanent residence" list, and it'd be great to go on a bike. I was thinking of Okinawa because it's closest and maybe one day there will be a ferry there, but not sure if there's enough riding to do to make it worthwhile. I'm really curious what it's like to travel in Japan outside of the standard tourist routes.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads