Looking for help on my adventure in the uk

roguetrader

Reaction score
@dmac66 - i know they have shelters similar to bothies on the Appalachian Trail so there are probably more elsewhere in the US...... regarding bothies and the OP - do you think we should be sending him to the Highlands of Scotland in February ! i get the impression he's trying to find 'the scene' - vagabonds might be a bit thin on the ground this time of year.... also to @lyam i wanna say please make sure you're properly kitted out for sleeping outside in the British Winter i.e tent and proper sub zero sleeping bag as a minimum - a friend of mine who lives on the streets has just been hospitalised with severe pneumonia and the weather hasn't even been that cold so far, just wet, just very very very very wet.....

Last edited:

Tony Pro

Reaction score
Website
gavincwillow.wordpress.com
@Tony Pro, Do you have any pictures of them that you can share? They sound like such a cool thing. We couldn't have this in the US because some kids would come along and trash them. And cover them with crappy graffiti like they do to everything else.
Yeah, I've got a little OC I can share.
Once in a while a bothy gets trashed by weekend neds from Glasgow, but the MBA gets word of it and it's fixed up pretty fast. Overall I'm very impressed by the conduct of Scottish users. I've seen 'refugios' in the Pyrenees that are so trashed and filthy it's brought me near tears. And I don't think Americans will ever get over our graffiti compulsions even if we had nice shelters like these.
734461_10151361268920642_327926487_n.jpg 536260_10151361269445642_35100540_n.jpg 45218_10151361270475642_1210742608_n.jpg 392710_10151361268720642_365671351_n.jpg
First is the Seamus a' Ghlenne bothy (yes that's baby me), which has one of the better views, as well as being one of the most accessible from the road. Second photo is the inside; pretty typical interior. Next is the Tomsleibhe bothy on the Isle of Mull. The estate provides that one with firewood just to be nice. Last is Gorton north of Crianlarich. I agree lyam should stay outta Scotland until summer, because this photo was taken in April. We got there to find there was no wood, no furniture. Clothes were soaked, we slept on the stone floor. Still beats sleeping in a tent.

Dmac

Reaction score
Wow. thanks! I know there are shelters along the Apl trail and along others, but they are maintained by volunteers and the NP service. also they are a long way from most populated areas so the destruction and graffiti is minimal. Recently there has been a rash of Fucktards "tagging" national parks and natural areas. Because, Hey, what natural beauty wouldn't be better with crappy spray painted tags?
@roguetrader I am not trying to send him anywhere, I do not know England (sadly), and have not tried to steer him anywhere. I was just interested in the "Bothies"

Tony Pro

Reaction score
Website
gavincwillow.wordpress.com
@dmac66 don't get me wrong, is the isolation of Scottish shelters that keeps them nice far more than the courtesy of the users. I'm sure that's why there are none in densely populated southern England, no landowners are dumb enough to donate a building.

I'd be interested to hear from someone who has lived outdoors in southern England in Jan/Feb. There's hardly any snow most years, but I wonder how bad the temperatures and drizzle get. I spent three weeks last December stealth squatting around Kent and Surrey; the weather actually wasn't bad at all.

Reactions: Dmac

landpirate

campervan untilising nomadic traveller
Reaction score
My home town is Brighton which is on the South Coast of England. I've spent winters sleeping rough there and the rain is more of a problem than the cold really. Don't get me wrong it does get really cold but it rarely snows this far south because the snow all gets dumped on the Downs north of the city and also the sea air does something to stop snow settling (I'm no scientist so don't ask me what!) Temperatures are hitting minus figures at night time currently and when the wind comes from the north it's pretty harsh but generally the climate in the South is milder which is probably why a lot of homeless people head this way .

If you can find somewhere dry and out of the wind to sleep, have a good sleeping bag and can get off the ground (cardboard) then it's doable in winter.

roguetrader

Reaction score
@Tony Pro Kent and Surrey may well be the some of the best parts of the UK to winter in if you're sleeping out - its the West of England / Wales / Scotland that gets the most rain - the East can get significantly less and obviously the South is milder.... i agree its possible for @lyam to survive the winter months outside it'll just be a bit gruelling this time of year which is why i suggested leaving it a couple of months... also we do generally get a vicious cold spell and harsh North wind at the end of February for some reason.....
@dmac66 sorry dude it was only the first sentence about the App Trail that i was directing at you specifically

lyam

Reaction score
Hi guys! finally I've renovated my id and I'm almost ready to go!
I've prepared carefully and yayy. now I just wonder where to go the first days and such.
I've been kinda nervous and, at the same time, can't wait to leave.
I'm really thankful for your tips and the info!
maybe we'll meet up!

spare part

Reaction score
Blackpool in summer is like the rubbish version of Las Vegas but you might be able to make some money handing out flyers or something like that if you need money .

If struggle to meet people and get lonely . the rave scene is pretty good in England try and hook up with some ravers a good way to do it is by going to a legal rave then talking to as many people as possible.
then at the weekends when they go to the illegal raves that are dotted around the country you've got free travel (might have to chip in some petrol money) an you can get them to drop you off somewhere on the way but if you go to the rave talk to more people and get an try an get a lift with them to where there from before you know it your being bounced around the country making new friends and having fun along the way.
if you cant get a lift somewhere just get a lift back with the people you came with.
that's what me an my friends did when we where younger.
they also they have free party's witch is like a 3 day illegal festival where people camp better because more opportunity to meet people that are heading where you want to go

Last edited:

lyam

Reaction score
Blackpool in summer is like the rubbish version of Las Vegas but you might be able to make some money handing out flyers or something like that if you need money .

If struggle to meet people and get lonely . the rave scene is pretty good in England try and hook up with some ravers a good way to do it is by going to a legal rave then talking to as many people as possible.
then at the weekends when they go to the illegal raves that are dotted around the country you've got free travel (might have to chip in some petrol money) an you can get them to drop you off somewhere on the way but if you go to the rave talk to more people and get an try an get a lift with them to where there from before you know it your being bounced around the country making new friends and having fun along the way.
if you cant get a lift somewhere just get a lift back with the people you came with.
that's what me an my friends did when we where younger.
they also they have free party's witch is like a 3 day illegal festival where people camp better because more opportunity to meet people that are heading where you want to go
hi! thanks for the reply!

I guess I'd have a great time there. I'm happy I'm a very outgoing person and I usually get friends easily. It may get very fun

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads