Looking for a new start

gonzo

Reaction score
tired of the way life is here on the 'ol eastern shore of md. not my first time planning on leaving the state but its my first time looking into freight hopping/hitching/hiking out. i've lived in florida and idaho but i really wanna see the states this time when i leave. i don't have a date set yet since i wanna make sure i am well prepared before i leave. wherever i end up i plan on going back to school for something chemistry related. i've learned quite a bit on my own and have about 30 or so engineering/math/science credits from the community college here in salisbury, md. originally i went to a vocational type school down in florida for audio engineering (Audio Recording Technology Institute, sadly no longer in business) but my hearing is shit and my heart's just not in it any more. i figure im 28 years old if i'm gunna do it i may as well do it now. that's me in a nutshell, so far the forums here are cool and i hope to meet some of you crazy fucks along the way.

cheers,
gonzo

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
:) Cool intro. I did the college, didn't want to go to college, eff that get a cheap job, party, ok go back to college, blah blah. Oh and repeat. hehe and maybe again a couple of times as well. And did intercept lots of drama and parties in between. Yay. Some traveling, mostly hitching. Sounds like yer looking for yourself - but with your feet on the ground. Find it and enjoy it - always good to have a potential background job... :D

Reactions: autumn and gonzo

gonzo

Reaction score
I'm definitely heading west; at least as far as Colorado as far as where i'm going to settle my bones. I'm right next to the Atlantic ocean so i'd like to make it to the Pacific ocean on my journey. I may head up north first to PA or NY while its still warm on the east coast. I do love the mountains in the fall but i'm not sure that i'll be here that long.

As far as exactly what i'll be packing i don't have a list yet. a kindle maybe loaded with books, sleeping mat, some basic survival tools and first aid stuff. a cheap bottle of booze for gifting, a decent bit of kratom for myself lol. for food i'll probably dehydrate and vacuum seal a bunch of fruit and meat. i have a ukulele but i think i may get a mandolin instead as i'd rather not travel with a full size acoustic guitar. The list in my head and what i'll actually bring will probably be two different things.

I'd really like to start out with a tour guide for my first few hops, seems to be the smartest decision if i end up starting out freight hopping. I'm glad i found a community here that can at the very least help point me in the right direction.

Jay Indy

Reaction score
Hey I'm currently in Philadelphia, trying to get to colorado from ny. fb me if u need a buddy to ride the rails. sounds like our paths will intersect. facebook Jay Indy. same profile pic

gonzo

Reaction score
sounds good. i just started a job at a farm share right up the street from me today. the people are cool and they want me to work full time through the summer. so, i think im going to stick around til the fall, stick some money away, and head west then.

TheWindAndRain

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
As far as exactly what i'll be packing i don't have a list yet. a kindle maybe loaded with books, sleeping mat, some basic survival tools and first aid stuff. a cheap bottle of booze for gifting, a decent bit of kratom for myself .
Right on lol. I love traveling with kratom. Sometimes I get bored of talking with my rides but kratom helps me be more talkative. I know you said you are working through the summer but i hope you can make it to the gathering in california in August

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads