long distance bus, what to expect | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

long distance bus, what to expect

Desperado Deluxe

Reaction score
Shouldnt take too long maybe 2 days at the longest. Your ticket will have a departure and arrival time and is pretty accurate if the weather doesnt mess things up. Bring lots of food. A coffee mug and tea/coffee is good, fill up on hot water at gas stations which youll be stopping at occasionally. If on a long layover ask people at the station that look like theyre picking up/dropping off people if theyres any other stores around the area and maybe see if they can give you a ride to save you walking time.

Reactions: scoutwilding

crow

Reaction score
Expect to sleep like a contortionist. Avoid the very back. Poop smells and creeps. If you ain't vegan there's vendors at every layover. If there isn't they make fast food ruins but peanut butter and trail mix will do wonders for hunger. Layovers really depend. And don't forget to enjoy the ride. You'll meet all manner of people. :)

crow

Reaction score
Oh yeah and don't leave anything out of your sight and look out for cons. Got ripped off on weed. Stick to joints. They're in hand and you can smoke dispose and not worry bout security. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Nykki

Nykki

Reaction score
I took GH from Michigan to Florida several times, had a 5 hour layover in Georgia and I found out that it isn't just GH that has a problem with people drinking, so does the police. I watched a guy go across the street, get a beer crack it open and next thing I knew he was being slammed against the wall and arrested.
You are allowed one bag that is checked and one bag on the bus with you (and that doesn't include your purse. So you can have that too). The checked bag can only weigh 50lbs, if it weighs more you have to pay a fee.

• Useful
Reactions: Kuchi Kopi and Dmac

Princesspeppers

Reaction score
Well, I've ridden greyhounds across the US quite a few times. NY to FL. NY to CA. Multiple times. Usually when i get on I bring alcohol. They will toss you off or not let you on if they smell it or if you act drunk but that depends on you really. I love the greyhound but it has its ups and downs. Bring a blanket for sure. I've had greyhounds break down multiple times, seen people get physically violent over multiple things, spent 12 plus hours on layover. Pay attention to your ticket, ask questions if you're confused, don't forget your re-board passes etc. The food is mad expensive but you can get free meal tickets if you say they layed you over sob sob don't has no monies and it's all their fault. They can and will give that delicious yellow cheese substance and french fries up...you just gotta want it. The wifi never works so dont bother. I can never load a wiki page so I cant imagine getting youtube or something to load. I ride greyhounds for one thing, people. I've met so many awesome and weird folks. I usually hook up with someone on the bus. Don't judge me. Also, what you put under the bus stays there for a bit so bring a sachel of things you need with you. You're allowed a carry on. The charcoal is fine just don't tell them that you have it. If it ignites under the bus then thats probably bad karma for a bit but just play dumb. Just have fun. Enjoy it. Side note: Its cheaper to book on tuesday or wednesday and in advance just for future reference. As well, I have never ridden greyhound without watching a woman complain and get their money back. It may take 3 hours on hold but greyhound will refund you if you give them a good enough reason. I hope that helps. Good luck :)

Glad you mentioned paying attention to your ticket and asking questions. And the shitty wifi.

Reactions: Kuchi Kopi

ChezaRose

Reaction score
Website
www.chezarose.com
I get service virtually anywhere so I'm good on that. Sucks about the bag thing I is want blanket but forgot to get one cause I got a zero degree sleeping bag for ten bucks lol

Kuchi Kopi

Reaction score
That is good advice right there. I have had to chase the bus down at least twice. Reminded me that theres a re-route fee of like 20$ if you miss the bus. It didnt cost anything ten years ago so i'd just get off and hang out then have them re-route my ticket.

D

Deleted member 125

Well, I've ridden greyhounds across the US quite a few times. NY to FL. NY to CA. Multiple times. Usually when i get on I bring alcohol. They will toss you off or not let you on if they smell it or if you act drunk but that depends on you really. I love the greyhound but it has its ups and downs. Bring a blanket for sure. I've had greyhounds break down multiple times, seen people get physically violent over multiple things, spent 12 plus hours on layover. Pay attention to your ticket, ask questions if you're confused, don't forget your re-board passes etc. The food is mad expensive but you can get free meal tickets if you say they layed you over sob sob don't has no monies and it's all their fault. They can and will give that delicious yellow cheese substance and french fries up...you just gotta want it. The wifi never works so dont bother. I can never load a wiki page so I cant imagine getting youtube or something to load. I ride greyhounds for one thing, people. I've met so many awesome and weird folks. I usually hook up with someone on the bus. Don't judge me. Also, what you put under the bus stays there for a bit so bring a sachel of things you need with you. You're allowed a carry on. The charcoal is fine just don't tell them that you have it. If it ignites under the bus then thats probably bad karma for a bit but just play dumb. Just have fun. Enjoy it. Side note: Its cheaper to book on tuesday or wednesday and in advance just for future reference. As well, I have never ridden greyhound without watching a woman complain and get their money back. It may take 3 hours on hold but greyhound will refund you if you give them a good enough reason. I hope that helps. Good luck :)

there might need to be a spin off thread for grody greyhound hook up stories, because im dying to hear about yer hook ups on the fucking greyhound bus now.

ChezaRose

Reaction score
Website
www.chezarose.com
And all I got was some gross ass dude to I had to tell to get off me.

Anyway, I'm starting to feel dumb about this post. I just don't normally number one travel alone, and number two take a bus.

It's kind of boring tbh and the instinct to hitch off at every stop is there. But, if a bitch has a destination bitch gonna make the destination.

And then freeze to death.

ChezaRose

Reaction score
Website
www.chezarose.com
That ticket was expensive. I'm not an evil asshole. Jeeze

ChezaRose

Reaction score
Website
www.chezarose.com
STP moody as fuck this winter lol

• Haha
Reactions: Testicool

scoutwilding

rural punk. trans boy.
Reaction score
For years, basically all through my 20s, I did most of my cross country (NY to OR mainly) via Greyhound. It can suck. I did meet fellow like minded travelers but they were few and far between. You'll stink, your fellow passengers will stink (those windows don't open!). Bring food, water, entertainment.

I've been on busses where blantantly drunk folks were left behind and kicked off alongside the highway so be cautious.

These days Greyhound is cushier what with bigger seats and plugs for your phone (wifi too). Once the bus broke down on a snowy pass in Idaho but they sent another to scoop us. It took hours though and it was cold as fuck.

I know I'm responding to an old post but maybe this will be of some help to others.

Bon voyage!

EDIT oh yeah in my more recent bus trips there have been security people with those metal detector wands just FYI. Oh and don't sit near the bathroom of the bus... . You'll regret it!!

Last edited:

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads