Loneliness

marmar

Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Squat the lonely planet! ::dead::
I get lonely when I'm bored easily. Living in the city is the best recipe for loneliness and disconnection with yourself and others. I 've being feeling so much better since I'm out in the woods for the past few weeks. But that's because I just needed to get away from the city life. in general I think loneliness is a normal existential feeling. Buddhists basically teach to sit with it, without trying to distract yourself. Its just indication of us living the human experience, being alive just comes with those. I'm not really very good at sitting with unpleasant feelings without trying to escape them, sometimes I try and it works, sometimes distraction is just a better remedy at the given moment. But just delaying the feeling, whichever it is, because it surely catches up with you later, creating what they call the circle of unending suffering. Which you can break up theoretically, but I'm really not qualified to do the Buddhist talk

Last edited:

Wawa

Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
I remember all the time I've spent feeling trapped and frustrated by people. I'm not doing this to be bitter; I'm being a better judge of rather I really should go spend time with friends, or if I'm just lonely in the moment, but mostly better off alone.

Likewise when I'm with people and being irritable, I reflect back on times of loneliness.

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Damn this thread blew up in the past couple days.

Was Eugene unfriendly?

Wasn't really Eugene, I think I had been alone for a bit too long at that point. Not to mention it was my first time traveling, and the sense of self reliance and loneliness had finally caught up to me.

From the looks of some of these posts, I'm about to hand out some certified Sears & Robuck psycology degrees....

N0MAD

Reaction score
so how does anyone else deal? I try to stay busy, keeping things in future mind, look forward to my few visitors and seeing family and friends for winter. Though sometimes loneliness is just there and there ain't much you can do. Unfortunately too I tend to tip em back a lot more to fight this, it's escapism but I suppose it could be way worse. It's almost worse sometimes to have people come see me and then leave. I may be better off just never having company because then departure doesn't leave the void that sticks sometimes. I have my two critters but honestly it only goes so far then yet I have days where they are all I wanna see. Sometimes there are no answers or one word let's.

Kinda feel a bit late to this party but eh what the heck.

I'm very much like this at the moment. In some form of perpetual spiral of loneliness, boredom and depression only broken by a brief high when friends come visit. But then it starts again when they leave and I'm all alone again. Sometimes I think was it even worth it for that brief moment of happiness when there's someone there.
What makes it worse is i was always bullied in high school and that kinda crapped all over my self esteem and confidence. So I struggles to keep the friends I have because sometimes it's just easier having no one there.

THing is im conscious of this and I force myself to go out and try and enjoy my life but that doesn't always happen.
N0mad

D

Deleted member 2626

It did blow up he he. It got the better of me now. No more pack animal it's too fucking much seclusion. Just my dog and I is easy. He's going back home. I'm hitching with my dog back to the bus station and going home to see a very injured grandpa and to pick up work till fall. Yeah I basically was avoiding the emotion as I have done in the past by drink or when I had the option party favors. I got a better grasp on all that nonsense now. Gonna spend a little time with friends and family again and not be so anti social or judge mental. I can't hide away all my life just yet. I'm gonna remember these shit times when I get sick of people or having some sort of rules when I am around family. Love to all.

DrewSTNY

Reaction score
Hey, man. How far from Elmira is your land? Might be able to arrange a visitor or two to hang out when you are back up this way.

Been busy with getting @zim mobile again, but he is probably going to be heading out within the next month or so.

When school starts back up again, probably going to be busy with the kids, but if I get the chance to wander out, I will let you know.

Reactions: Odin
D

Deleted member 2626

shit Elmira is down fifteen and from Mansfield route 6 west to Galeton and I'm 7 miles out of there. I'm gonna stack some dough spend some time chilling in comfort and be back by fall. may have a gig and transportation back in Oregon with my dog may winter out there now that donkey gone. . .

DrewSTNY

Reaction score
7 miles from Galeton. I figured that you were near Bradford from your descriptions, but you're a lot closer than I realized.

Cool man. The offer stands. Let me know when you are back in the area.

benton

Reaction score
the more I fight against a feeling, the stronger it tends to become and more likely it seems to stick around

it is normal for a human being to feel specific ways, such as lonely

realizing that we can experience a feeling without acting on it, and instead experience the feeling for what it is with acceptance (and not an idea that must be acted on in the real world) is what will most often keep the undesirable emotions in check in my experience

this is all much easier said than done, of course

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: Odin

Tank42

Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting a camp cat to fight the solitude.

All Who Wander

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Stuck on a small Alaskan island in the dead of winter on my last big trip, population was very low, months of time to kill... the library became my safe haven. I read every book that interested me, I didn't have many conversations but I could read them and that seemed to put my isolation in check, I even started ordering other books from other libraries, but of course eventually reading 3-5 books a week still wasn't enough.

I'm an atheist/agnostic absurdist (sliding strongly to the nihilistic side) but I became friends with some evangelicals who wanted to save my heathen soul, (and the heathen souls of all the young natives and "misguided" Russian orthodox there) some of them turned out to become some of my best friends in this life, people who believed but didn't judge and enjoyed the debate and philosophical conversations we had. So don't judge the faithful too harshly, they can be friends and life savers.

Reactions: marmar

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads