2017 Jamboree - Lockpicking basics | Squat the Planet

2017 Jamboree Lockpicking basics

Threads with this prefix are related to the 2017 Jamboree.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
So I'm hoping gather all the materials needed for demonstrating the basics of picking locks. This will include several clear 'practice' locks that let you see the inside of the lock so you can see what you're doing, and several single, basic lock picks with tension bars (all this stuff costs money, so if you'd like to donate, please let me know)!

I'll be demonstration how to use these tools to become better at lock-picking, and also demonstrating a ridiculously easy trick you can use for opening the majority of padlocks out in the world.

at the end of the workshop perhaps we'll have a small competition to see who can open their practice lock the fastest, and winner will receive free lock picks and practice locks to take home with them :)

of course, any input or suggestions is welcome, just post a reply to this thread.

Chaseur

Just a vagabond, singing the song of freedom
Reaction score
As somevody who picks for fun while traveling I'd be happy to donate a practice lock (clear)

Reactions: VikingAdventurer

MolotovMocktail

Subverting from within
Reaction score
I like the idea but it's also good to note that lockpicks, while technically legal to own in most states, probably won't do you any favors if law enforcement finds it in your bag while you're on the road. I own a set of picks myself but I would be very hesitant to carry them while doing something that already subjects me to undesired attention from law enforcement (hitching, hopping, squatting, etc.) Obviously you won't have any problems with it in the Slabs but it's worth thinking about whether you want to travel with them in your bag after the Jambo.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
As somevody who picks for fun while traveling I'd be happy to donate a practice lock (clear)

Yes, any additional supplies would be super useful! I just dropped a little over 100 dollars on 7 clear practice locks, 10 sets of lockpicks, and 30 padlock shims. All will be given away at the workshop or throughout the jamboree.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I'll also be demonstrating how to make your own padlock shims out of beer cans!

WanderLost Radical

Reaction score
I like the idea but it's also good to note that lockpicks, while technically legal to own in most states, probably won't do you any favors if law enforcement finds it in your bag while you're on the road. I own a set of picks myself but I would be very hesitant to carry them while doing something that already subjects me to undesired attention from law enforcement (hitching, hopping, squatting, etc.) Obviously you won't have any problems with it in the Slabs but it's worth thinking about whether you want to travel with them in your bag after the Jambo.

I agree, but on the other hand, I never had my bag searched, and even if they did, I feel like lockpicks are easy to hide somewhere they wont find it

Chaseur

Just a vagabond, singing the song of freedom
Reaction score
I can't make it to the jambo. So unless somebody drops by ATL on their way through to Cali I can't actually donate the lock. Sorry; my one year of adventure is over and I'll miss you all. :/

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I can't make it to the jambo. So unless somebody drops by ATL on their way through to Cali I can't actually donate the lock. Sorry; my one year of adventure is over and I'll miss you all. :/

sorry you can't make it but that's okay about the lock, we should have enough for everyone to practice with.

I agree, but on the other hand, I never had my bag searched, and even if they did, I feel like lockpicks are easy to hide somewhere they wont find it

lockpicks aren't hard to stash, and you don't necessarily need to bring any with you as we'll be giving away several sets after the workshop.

Hey amazon fucked my order up or something I've got three new transparent practice locks to donate if you're innarrested

if you're coming to the jambo then heck yeah, bring em! if not, maybe you can try and mail them to us? PM me for an address.

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Damn. So pissesd I won't be at the Jambo for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads