Living in the Twilight Zone

JanuaryBell

Reaction score
There was a time earlier in my life where I felt like I was stuck working shitty retail jobs while living in east TX. I was the kid everyone thought was going to grow up nice and straightlaced and have a job, spouse, kids, blah. You get the picture. When everyone else was smoking or underage drinking, I was working on getting scholarships. But I turned out to be the blackest sheep of them all, especially in my family. And it had to do with me up and leaving one day on a bus to Seattle from Huntsville TX. And I've been traveling off and on ever since. Sometimes I travel to avoid rejection. Step on someone's toes for too long or a town gets too old. But I also travel to find a better community to belong to. I lived in co-op situations, squatted in Amherst with a large group of anarchists, and even lived in a tent city. And I wonder if there is alternate reality where I'm still living in that same place in east TX. Would I have died of boredom?

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Ha! I was the oldest child, totally shy and liked a kid named George Beadle. (who btw never knew that - asked him at a reunion) and the way the teachers had the desks set up was according to your grades. Well ole George had the highest grades and the only way to sit near him was to have my grades up there as well. My wild streak came out in my Senior year - was more involved in quarry parties and hitchhiking. hehe thank goodness I had completed all courses required by the end of junior year - still graduated like 21 out of 245 Regents. And then proceeded to dive further into that black sheep area. I had other interests other than what was expected of me (go to college after HS) and so the other kids in the family did the "correct" thing with the college then the carreer then the family. I didn't get off that black sheep list till some years ago. ;) And I feel for you on the boredom. I seem to have a thing for not doing something twice... Anyway - Hey great introduction and hope you run into some the members here on your travels!

Preacher

Reaction score
You never know, your life might come full circle and you could very well find yourself in college one day. I didn't go till I was 27. As to your question, see my sig. Regardless, Welcome! :)

Reactions: Jaguwar

JanuaryBell

Reaction score
Definitely appreciate the quote. It's the reason why I've been avoiding big cities lately. Too many faceless zombies going to and from somewhere on the transit, mostly on autopilot. Some of the best times I had was where I was walking somewhere out in the countryside on a route and taking in the scenery.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
if i didn't discover traveling i probably would have offed myself a long time ago. no joke.

are you still in ashland? that's pretty much the first town i ever traveled to.

Reactions: akindlyone

JanuaryBell

Reaction score
Yup. Still in Ashland. It's hard to leave this town, especially this time of year. But I plan on heading out to Jacksonville and then on to Applegate. I heard it's really rural out there.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
jacksonville, florida?

also, do you know an eric michner? he lived in ashland for a long time, and was the first person i ever traveled with.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
i have no idea... he could have moved on. he lived there for like 8+ years though.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads